Windows 10: Hot plug SATA HDD or DVD drive doesn't shows or not detected

Discus and support Hot plug SATA HDD or DVD drive doesn't shows or not detected in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Usually when we plug in a SATA drive it will show up in explorer but it doesn't now after I install Windows 10 (clean install). It work well when I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jaycelou, Jan 7, 2016.

1. jaycelou Win User

Hot plug SATA HDD or DVD drive doesn't shows or not detected

Usually when we plug in a SATA drive it will show up in explorer but it doesn't now after I install Windows 10 (clean install). It work well when I'm on Win 7.

I've check the BIOS it indicate all ports AHCI an I never change anything since Win 7. So what could be the problem? As I swap drives often this feature really important for me, please help. Thanks.

:)

jaycelou, Jan 7, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Added HDD not showing in File Manager

So from your post the SSD is working and Windows boots with no problem?

Is there the option in your BIOS to enable / disable SATA Ports?

Some BIOS require you to enable the SATA PORT that the old HDD is now installed into;

If your BIOS is set to SATA AHCI, then you can Hot Plug SATA drives.

Turn of PC, unplug data cable from the HDD, Turn on PC and plug in HDD data cable

(The Data cable is the one going from the HDD to the Motherboard)

Hopefully Windows will then see the drive

I hope this Helps!

DaveM121, Jan 7, 2016
  3. Teddy2016 Win User
    Issues with Windows 10 upgrade

See if BIOS (setup) detects the drives. There is an option in bios to use the sata as ide or raid. Plus an option to detect sata or ide first. If bios does not show the drives in the list, windows will not detect them. I remember having to mess with bios
    to get all drives online. Then when I booted win drivers were loaded. Running win 10 on a motherboard with one bay sata. (two plugs). One sata dvd rom and sata hard drive. Could not run in raid. I think it was enhanced mode. I really think it is bios setup
    that's giving you the issue.

Teddy2016, Jan 7, 2016
  4. Private Win User

You may use "Scan for hardware changes" in Device Manager.

Hot plug still works in Windows 10 but sometimes with an unknown interference, it won't detect the swapping.

Private, Jan 7, 2016
  5. jaycelou Win User
    I have try but no luck. When use "show hidden devices" it is there. Thanks anyway.

jaycelou, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Hot plug SATA HDD or DVD drive doesn't shows or not detected - Similar Threads - Hot plug SATA

2. DVD drive and HDD rack not working, detected both as "unknown device"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD drive and HDD rack not working, detected both as "unknown device": Hello, I am facing issues with my ASUS DVD ROM drive DRW-1608P2S and a ViPower SuperRack. I have plugged both in using 2 IDE to SATA adapters. They receive power, the DVD ROM opens and spins, and so does the hard drive inside of the rack, but they aren't detected in file...
  3. DVD drive and HDD rack not working, detected both as "unknown device"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD drive and HDD rack not working, detected both as "unknown device": Hello, I am facing issues with my ASUS DVD ROM drive DRW-1608P2S and a ViPower SuperRack. I have plugged both in using 2 IDE to SATA adapters. They receive power, the DVD ROM opens and spins, and so does the hard drive inside of the rack, but they aren't detected in file...
  4. DVD drive and HDD rack not working, detected both as "unknown device"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. idle power consumption higher with SATA hot plug enabled

idle power consumption higher with SATA hot plug enabled: The idle power consumption of my ASUS B560 board increases from 9W to 16W as soon as I enable SATA hot plug for one port in BIOS. Unfortunately I would need this feature for several internal SATA devices (HDD swap racks, backup disks, etc.) Any ideas to reduce idle...
  6. Display Port Hot Plug detection

Display Port Hot Plug detection: This has been a problem for the better part of the decade. What happens is when a monitor is connected using DP and goes to sleep, windows would shift open windows/icons to other non-DP monitors. Can we just get an option to disable hot plug detection?...
  7. Lost SATA HDD and SATA DVD after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost SATA HDD and SATA DVD after Windows 10 update: I have lost a secondary SATA HDD and SATA DVD drive after a Fast Ring Windows 10 Build update. Both the missing drives are on the same SATA channel. They DO show up in BIOS, but they do NOT show in either Windows Explorer or Windows Disk Management. Was it the Windows 10...
  8. Unable to Detect 4th Internal SATA HDD

Unable to Detect 4th Internal SATA HDD: Hi, My motherboard is: GIGABYTE p55a-ud3p As you can see below, Windows 10 detected all 4 HDDs: [img] And they are enabled in the BIOS (I think?): [img] [img] [img] Please advise. Thanks in advance! 48056
  9. DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks

DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks: Since I upgraded to windows 10 my SATA DVD/CD RW will not work. I insert a disk the light come on showing it is reading. 2. when I click to dvd drive , appears a dialoge box stating "Insert Disk" . So I am unable to use and cd to read/install any of my software. Also I have...
  10. DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks

DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks: Since upgrading my SATA DVD/CD RW will not work. I insert a disk the light come on showing it is reading and than the drive opens and the pop up box appears stating "Insert Disk" . So I cannot install any of my software. I have read that a lot of people are having the same...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 detect sata drive after pluggin in

2. hotplug sata not detected

3. rthe sata plugs on a dvd drive are they same as hdd