Windows 10: Hotel internet story; sudden bad connection

Discus and support Hotel internet story; sudden bad connection in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am seeking a solution for the following. Here are all the clues: 1. I have been in this hotel for some months on business. Internet with Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ray5450, May 26, 2017.

1. ray5450 Win User

Hotel internet story; sudden bad connection

I am seeking a solution for the following. Here are all the clues:

1. I have been in this hotel for some months on business. Internet with Windows 10 laptop worked great until about a week ago.

2. Suddenly, websites load part way and just keep on loading indefinitely, or a lot of the time stop loading with a blank page, or Firefox connection reset errors. Sometimes I can get them to load a little more by reload, reload, reload... Other browsers get similar.

3. Skype will not log in (the actual Skype software...or web Skype). Says, "Sorry, we couldn't connect to Skype. Please, check your internet connection." Rarely, it will log in, but the connection indicator just twirls and twirls and never connects (messages cannot be exchanged).

4. Vudu login fails.

5. Yahoo login fails.

6. Radiotunes login dialogue will no longer even open, along with any other link on the site.

7. I discovered, by accident, that downstairs in the lobby, there is no problem connecting and works fine.

8. Hotel said they reset their servers, and unplugged and replugged their routers. I told them it had no effect. They said that is all they could do.

9. I have tried network troubleshooter many times, but it never finds any problem.

9. A friend with Windows 7 (laptop) has been over several times, and he had no problem...until yesterday... His suddenly started behaving the exact same way. We tried everything (websites,Skype...) that mine would not do to confirm his did the same, but after a couple minutes, the connection icon turned yellow. He started the troubleshooter and it found the problem: "Wireless network connection does not have a valid IP address", and said "fixed". Indeed, it was fixed and everything works again, but mine will not do that--it never turns yellow, and if I run the troubleshooter without it being yellow, it does not find a problem. I would think there must be a way to fix the same problem....maybe a manual fix without troubleshooter. (?)

:)

ray5450, May 26, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

How do I stop Windows 10 from automatically opening browser for wifi authentication?

The hotel login screen comes from the hotel's internet provider. It doesn't have anything to do with Microsoft and Microsoft can't prevent the connection.

BulldogXX, May 26, 2017
  3. free internet access can't login

Can't login to any free internet access points (McDonalds). When click on the Wi-Fi icon and click the McDonald connection it tries to connect then fail and if does connect IE won't let you login (not bing), it use to let you login. sometimes this
    is the only place I can use the internet. if I can't login to McDonalds or the hotel it's will make for bad vacation. has anyone else experienced this.

scottmiller119, May 26, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

My experience with such a situation and same diagnostics and resets just a couple years ago showed there was interference from another wireless device. The business never found the problem but got a new Router and the issue disappeared. They never could figure if their Router went bad or the other device [maybe stronger] caused the problem. Since Wireless/Wi-Fi is essentially 2-way radio there can be issues in populated areas. The most reliable connection to a Router will always be an Ethernet cable but not all rooms in a business will have that choice [not wired] like they did several years ago before Wi-Fi became popular.

Berton, May 26, 2017
  5. Cuffy Win User
    Greg Shultz wrote an article back in Jan for Tech Republic regarding Windows update problems. It may help but you'll have to download an app from Microsoft, wudiagxxxxxx?
    http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...e-errors-page/

It helped me !

Cuffy, May 26, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    Cuffy, your Quote is broken as it is missing the [/QUOTE] at the end.

Berton, May 26, 2017
  7. Cuffy Win User
    at the end.[/QUOTE]

The quote isn't essential........... I was simply trying to get him a link to that troubleshooter:
    wu170509.diagcab
    It takes a few minutes but may help clear up some of the problems caused by the latest Win10 updates.

Cuffy, May 26, 2017
  8. ray5450 Win User

Thank-you, for the responses:

Berton--the hotel asked other guests surrounding my room, and no one else has a problem. Further, all is working with my friend's Windows 7 machine and while he is sitting right next to me. I would think if there was a bad router or some interference, it would affect more than just me.

Cuffy--the site you suggested pertains to a list of error codes caused by Windows updates. I have not received an error code of any kind. Further, my machine works just fine 4 floors down.

ray5450, May 27, 2017
  9. ray5450 Win User
    Is there a way with Windows 10 to accomplish what I described above that my friend did with Windows 7?

ray5450, May 30, 2017
  10. ray5450 Win User
    Is there a way with Windows 10 to accomplish what I described above that my friend did with Windows 7?

Additionally, in Windows 7, with a right click on a wireless connection, I can choose Properties and change the security type. How do I do that with Windows 10?

ray5450, Jun 5, 2017
  11. badrobot Win User
    You're still in the same hotel room? As internet is important for the reason of your stay there, the hotel management should have at least offered you to move to another room with working internet.

How about your mobile phone? Does the wifi work on it?

badrobot, Jun 5, 2017
  12. Berton Win User
    Have you gone to Control Panel, Internet Options and checked the Security tab? I find setting all options to Default works as long as one has an active antivirus program. There's good AV available, some free some not. And don't rule out Windows Defender, works good for me.

Berton, Jun 5, 2017
  13. ray5450 Win User

badrobot: the rest of the hotel is being remodelled, and reservations are tight.

I don't have a cell phone, but as I said, my friend's Windows 7 machine works just fine when sitting right next to me, and that is why I am trying to find out how to do those same things in Windows 7 with this Windows 10.

Berton: that is not the security settings I was talking about, but I still tried it anyway, but no effect. The security settings I am trying to find are for the wireless connection as I described. I had that work before for a similar problem at home--maybe it will work here, maybe not. These settings are easy to get to in Windows 7 and Vista, but I cannot find it in Windows 10. Another option is that the error message and fix that Windows 7 gave my friend might also help. I would like to be able to try one or both of these, but I cannot find out how.

ray5450, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Hotel internet story; sudden bad connection - Similar Threads - Hotel internet story

2. Hyra Hotels-Hotel Booking Script

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyra Hotels-Hotel Booking Script: Hyra Hotels is one of the best hotel booking scripts in the market which is built in advanced technology and bug free. More importantly user friendly interface to get connected with the travelers. The best script developed for hassle-free booking of hotels through online...
  3. Very bad internet connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very bad internet connection: The wifi connection to my laptop is very bad but, the connection to other devices in my home is totally fine. I don't know what to do to fix this problem even though i tried lots of things already. Someone please help....
  4. Very bad internet connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Very bad internet connection: The wifi connection to my laptop is very bad but, the connection to other devices in my home is totally fine. I don't know what to do to fix this problem even though i tried lots of things already. Someone please help....
  5. Very bad internet connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Problem to connect to hotel wifi

Problem to connect to hotel wifi: I have been having problems with public wifi on my laptop running windows 10. If I try to connect to some wifi (ususally in hotels requiring a login/password) browser opens msftconnecttest/redirect but fails to connect. I tried to switched off all firewalls and antivirus...
  7. Bad Internet Connection After Upgrade

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bad Internet Connection After Upgrade: Hi, I just got my computer upgraded with some more storage its a 1TB SSD from samsung made for laptops. After I got my computer back from Geek Squad at Best Buy, I had horrible Wi-Fi connection. Before the storage was put in, I got pretty good Wi-Fi and I only used a LAN...
  8. Hotel public interneg connect..cant connect

Hotel public interneg connect..cant connect: runtimebroker.exe The group or resourse is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hotel-public-interneg-connectcant-connect/9614b532-5633-4eeb-b143-613ccf476c1a
  9. Internet connection suddenly broken

Internet connection suddenly broken: Win10, diagnostic message is:"one or more protocols is missing" Running diagnostic as Administrator message is:" connection between access point, router or cable modem and Internet is broken" What's going on , more importantly. How do I fix it? Have tried winsock reset,...
  10. No internet connection suddenly

No internet connection suddenly: I've been trying to fix this for around 3 hours now with no success. What I've found however is that 80% of services are stopped even though they are checked. I ran a full scan of malwarebytes to find 0 threats. When i am in msconfig all are checked and Load System Services...