Windows 10: How can Hyper-V VM access shared Host PC drive/folder?

Discus and support How can Hyper-V VM access shared Host PC drive/folder? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have just installed Hyper-V and Windows 10 on both Host & VM, and set up a wifi virtual switch so the VM can connect to the internet. Fine. But the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by sysmod, May 26, 2016.

1. sysmod Win User

How can Hyper-V VM access shared Host PC drive/folder?

I have just installed Hyper-V and Windows 10 on both Host & VM, and set up a wifi virtual switch so the VM can connect to the internet. Fine. But the Network icon in the Folders only shows its own desktop and "tsclient" but not the host PC. How do I get the VM to see the shared folders on the Host?

TIA
    Patrick

:)

sysmod, May 26, 2016
  2. joerayner Win User

Secure file share with between host and hyper-v guest

I have a windows 10 host running hyper-v. I want to share the files that are on the host securely with a hyper-v vm without having to copy the files, i.e. the file share is on the host not the guest.

Current method is to set up a file share on the host and disable authentication for ALL file shares, this is so that I do not need to store the host account
    credential on the VM which would be a risk. I then set up a internal virtual switch in hyper-v and disable files sharing protocal on ALL other network interfaces on the host. I not sure this is secure but its defiantly not very elegant for such a seeming
    simple problem.

I can see it causeing problems in the future when we need another files share on the host for a differnet reason.

Is there a simpler, less invasive way to do this?

joerayner, May 26, 2016
  3. RFT OB1 Win User
    Remote Desktop Connection problem with Virtual Machine

We made the big mistake of configuring a WINDOWS-10 VM to allow for Remote Desktop Connections. We are unable to disassociate the VM from RDM. We can no longer access the VM!!! The following is the pertinenet
    information:

• Server is running Windows-10 Professional 64 with Hyper-V installed.
    • VM is Windows-10 Professional 64.
    • In VM allowed Remote Desktop Connections.
    • From server successfully connected to VM via RDM.
    • Closed RDM connection. Unable to access VM.
    • Turned off VM from Hyper-V Manager.
    • Attempted to restart VM, unable to connect via Hyper-V from message box the following is displayed:

Video Remoting was disconnected. The virtual maching is currently using the Remote X 3D video adapter. A user is currently connected via Remote Desktop Connect to the virtual machine by using Remote Desktop Connection.
    • Connected via Remote Desktop Connection. Attempted to turn off allowing Remote Desktop Connection. VM hung.
    • VM Wouldn't turn off via Hyper-V manager.
    • Shutdown host system and rebooted.
    • Unable to connect via console or RDM.
    • Shutdown host system and rebooted.
    • Deleted VM via Hyper-V Manager.
    • Restored VM system disk from backup prior to RDM usage.
    • Created new VM. the messages in itm 7 above are displayed.
    What can be done to recover? Why does Hyper-V retain a broken connection?

RFT OB1, May 26, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

AFAIK you'd either have to do it via Networking or probably easier via RDP - in the RDP console settings enable Local resources --that will enable you to read HDD's from local machine on the VM.

Networking should work too --the VM is technically a separate machine --enable sharing / network discovery on the VM (and the Host of course).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 27, 2016
  5. sysmod Win User
    Takk, Jimbo45!
    I had network discovery on the VM, when I enabled file sharing the network appeared.
    I don't know about RDP but if networking works, I'm happy How can Hyper-V VM access shared Host PC drive/folder? :)

Best
    Patrick

sysmod, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How can Hyper-V VM access shared Host PC drive/folder? - Similar Threads - Hyper access shared

2. The best way to share drive with hyper-v vm

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The best way to share drive with hyper-v vm: What is the best way to share a whole C drive with a hyper-v vm running Ubuntu Server? By the best I mean the fastest r/w speeds. submitted by /u/b1ack_b0ne [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lkc54b/the_best_way_to_share_drive_with_hyperv_vm/
  3. How can I export a Hyper-V VM to a network share?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How can I export a Hyper-V VM to a network share?: I'm trying to export a Hyper-V VM from one system to the network share located on another system. Both systems are Windows 10 Pro 20H2. When I attempt to do this from the Hyper-V manager I get the following error: An error occurred while attempting to export the virtual...
  4. Shared clipboard between Hyper-V VM and Win 10 host

Shared clipboard between Hyper-V VM and Win 10 host: Does Hyper-V support shared clipboard with host. I can't see any way to do it and it's a feature I really miss from Oracle VB. 141251
  5. HYPER-V RDP to a VM on the same host

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HYPER-V RDP to a VM on the same host: Hi folks particularly @Kari (the expert on HYPER-V) !!!! I've got a test Linux VM on a laptop running with HYPER-V. I've installed XRDP on it so I was wondering would es RDP from the host to the VM enable me to get sensible resolution on the vm - Needs a bit of fiddling on...
  6. Remote access to Hyper-V VM

Remote access to Hyper-V VM: I have a Hyper-V VM created with a Windows OS running in it. Is there a way I can connect to the VM via Remote Desktop from a computer other than the host computer? Thanks! John 130025
  7. Get access to VM machine on Hyper-V from login screen of Host PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Get access to VM machine on Hyper-V from login screen of Host PC: Hello everyone, I bought W10 pro last week. I've set up some VM's for whom i had some older Windows keys for. My question is, i want to use these VM's as a sort of user. Because my real Local user accounts have important software that i want to keep seperate (like one is a...
  8. Hyper-V VM. No OneDrive folder.

Hyper-V VM. No OneDrive folder.: Hyper-V VM. No OneDrive folder. Clicking OneDrive doesn't give a OneDrive folder. 111321
  9. Cannot see host drives in Hyper-V vm when using RDP.

Cannot see host drives in Hyper-V vm when using RDP.: Not a big deal as easy enough to get round issue but I discovered something odd when using rdp. I have a vm and in enhanced mode, it is sett up to show host drives in the VM and this works fine. If I remote connect to Host using Splashtop, I can see the Host drives in...
  10. Hyper-V VM shows host taskbar

Hyper-V VM shows host taskbar: Today, mysteriously both my Hyper-V vms are showing the taskbar of the host instead of the vm in enhanced session mode. They have always shown vm's taskbar until today. I can use the Windows key to bring up vm's task bar, but this is really annoying. Does anyone have an idea...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hyper-v vm access host folders

2. do you need a network to share files between Hyper_v VM and host

3. access computer drive from hyper-v windows 10

4. hyper-v vm box shared drive,
  5. hyper v share host drive,
  6. hyper v host shared drive,
  7. hyper-v share host directory,
  8. hyper v no access to hyper v folder,
  9. Hyper-V VM cant access shared drive,
  10. hyper-v linux connect onedrive,