Windows 10: How can I activate windows 10 pro in my computer after motherboard replacement?

Discus and support How can I activate windows 10 pro in my computer after motherboard replacement? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; How can I activate windows 10 pro in my computer after motherboard replacement?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by BHAGWAN SINGH YADAV, Nov 28, 2023.

1. How can I activate windows 10 pro in my computer after motherboard replacement?

How can I activate windows 10 pro in my computer after motherboard replacement?

:)

BHAGWAN SINGH YADAV, Nov 28, 2023
  2. Eray001 Win User

Windows 10 Pro Activation after motherboard replacement

Hi Greg,

Thanks for all the information.

But in one of the iterations of attempting to activate the license (while my account showed the $99 Windows 10 Pro Upgrade) I did login with the email account as you suggested (was the last tech I talked to after talking to the activation tech suggested). It still did not work and produced the exact same error messages as attempting it under my local account with my MS account being open (and also used for my Office 365 license). After it failed that was when he said the "$99 upgrade was single-use-for-a-single-motherboard only upgrade and could never be used again on a new motherboard". So I asked do you mean that when HP replaced the motherboard because the original had failed, I LOST that license forever, and he said yes, you need to purchase a new license.

I couldn't believe that was absolutely true, but then after trying all the additional suggested steps and it still failed, I was starting to believe it was true. Finally last night I clicked on the Store link and clicked Buy on the $199 Windows Pro Upgrade (only option that came up) and then after selecting PayPal for payment and clicked on the button to complete the payment - 1 second later IT WAS ACTIVATED...

So, as I mentioned, I have now paid $330 for a Windows 10 Pro license ON THE SAME PC.

If the $99 license is such a piece of ****, Microsoft should not be selling it. And when I bought it on 9/26/21 I don't remember a warning being displayed that stated "This is a single install, single use only upgrade for a single motherboard and will never work to activate Windows 10 Pro on your PC if your motherboard fails and is replaced by the OEM. That will require a new purchase of the Windows 10 Pro license." I knew it was for 1 PC only and was not transferable, but not that it was 100% tied to ONLY 1 MOTHERBOARD.

I am hoping now that I have given Microsoft another $220 for a 2nd Windows Pro License this will not be an issue in the future if the motherboard fails again, which of course, I hope that doesn't happen either. I also told the HP tech I talked to that they need to warn their users about this issue if they have purchased and installed the $99 Pro upgrade.

The odd thing now is, I only see the $199 Pro upgrade, not the $99 Pro upgrade. When I searched for the upgrade on 9/26, the only thing I remember seeing was the $99 upgrade. So I selected that. Had I known it was a waste of money I never would have bought it.

And the other odd thing is my MS account shows this PC twice - I assume the latest entry is for the new motherboard and the earliest entry is for the original motherboard, but not 100% sure. Both descriptions are the same, even the same serial number. One does state the OS is "Windows 10 Professional" while the top entry only shows it as "Windows Professional". BUT there is NO mention of the motherboard... If Microsoft is actually tracking "devices" only by their motherboard then that should be listed also. It should also list the date the device was added and it doesn't.

Anyway, my PC is officially licensed again, at a much higher price than I thought it would cost. So the license activation issue is resolved for me. But my concerns on wasting money on a 2nd purchase of a Windows 10 Pro upgrade are still there. But thanks for the reply.

Ray

Eray001, Nov 28, 2023
  3. Eray001 Win User
    Windows 10 Pro Activation after motherboard replacement

I just received my HP PC back after the motherboard was replaced. The PC was initially set up with Windows 10 Home, then I purchased the Windows 10 Pro upgrade through the MS website. The website shows the purchase on my account.

When the PC was returned, they had replaced the motherboard and reloaded the factory install.

I had a cloned image and loaded that. It boots OK, but Windows is telling me it's not activated. This is a newer PC and the Windows 10 Home key was entered automatically when I did the initial setup. The key isn't listed anywhere on the packing box or on a label on the PC itself.

I use local accounts on the PC and do NOT use a Microsoft account to login to the PC.

I was logged in to my Microsoft account through the browser when I purchased the Windows 10 Pro upgrade. The order is listed on my account, but there are no order details at all. I never received an email from Microsoft with the product key in it either. When I clicked on the install link I was provided, nothing happened. When I checked the about info on the PC it now showed it was Windows 10 Pro - so I assumed OK, it's there...

But later I started having freezing issues, rebooting on its own when nothing was being used, etc. Ran the hardware diagnostics and said there were issues and it needed repair. Sent it in, they replaced the motherboard and returned, etc., as I mentioned.

Now the activation issues. Since the motherboard was replaced, I assume the license info is out of sync. When I go through the steps it says it can't fix it automatically (We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid license or product key. If you think you do have a valid license or product key, select Troubleshoot below. Error code: 0xC004C003),

I assume I need to enter the Windows 10 product key, but I don't have it. Since Microsoft never sent me the product key, I cannot enter the product key to see if that will resolve the issue.

So, what do I do??? Throw away another $110 on a 2nd license for Windows 10 Pro for the same stupid PC?

Since I bought the upgrade on Microsoft's website through my account, I would have thought they had the product key there, but it's not there.

Eray001, Nov 28, 2023
  4. jpob5 Win User

Can't activate Windows 10 Pro after Motherboard replacement

I got my computer professionally built just over a month ago but had to get them to replace a faulty motherboard. Unfortunately its now not allowing me activate Windows. I definitely activated it before the motherboard broke and its definitely attached
    to my account (I can actually see 2 versions of the same computer in my Microsoft Account devices list). I've only ever used the Product Key on this computer too.

jpob5, Nov 28, 2023
Thema:

1. How can I activate windows 10 pro in my computer after motherboard replacement? - Similar Threads - activate pro computer

2. How can I activate windows 10 pro in my computer after motherboard replacement?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How can I activate windows 10 pro in my computer after motherboard replacement?: How can I activate windows 10 pro in my computer after motherboard replacement? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-activate-windows-10-pro-in-my-computer/f3f0aa93-3416-4834-a90f-e6f1c8fa4910
  3. How can I activate windows 10 pro in my computer after motherboard replacement?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I activate windows 10 pro in my computer after motherboard replacement?: How can I activate windows 10 pro in my computer after motherboard replacement? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-activate-windows-10-pro-in-my-computer/f3f0aa93-3416-4834-a90f-e6f1c8fa4910
  4. Windows 10 pro activation after motherboard replacement.

Windows 10 pro activation after motherboard replacement.: If memory serves, I did a free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 shortly after it became available. I believe this was a download from the internet and I have a thumbdrive labeled Win10 that dates from that update. There was never any factory packaging and any e-mails for that...
  5. Windows 10 pro activation after motherboard replacement.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 pro activation after motherboard replacement.: If memory serves, I did a free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 shortly after it became available. I believe this was a download from the internet and I have a thumbdrive labeled Win10 that dates from that update. There was never any factory packaging and any e-mails for that...
  6. Windows 10 pro activation after motherboard replacement.

7. Windows 10 Pro Activation after motherboard replacement

Windows 10 Pro Activation after motherboard replacement: I just received my HP PC back after the motherboard was replaced. The PC was initially set up with Windows 10 Home, then I purchased the Windows 10 Pro upgrade through the MS website. The website shows the purchase on my account. When the PC was returned, they had replaced...
  8. Windows 10 Pro Activation after motherboard replacement

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Pro Activation after motherboard replacement: I just received my HP PC back after the motherboard was replaced. The PC was initially set up with Windows 10 Home, then I purchased the Windows 10 Pro upgrade through the MS website. The website shows the purchase on my account. When the PC was returned, they had replaced...
  9. Windows 10 Pro Activation after motherboard replacement

10. Windows 10 Pro Not activated after replacing motherboard

Windows 10 Pro Not activated after replacing motherboard: Hi today I replaced my motherboard, and the Windows 10 Pro is not active anymore. I've tried troubleshooting with no results, I had seen through googling there would be a "I've changed handware recently" prompt that has not appeared. My error code is 0x803F7001 and my key...