Windows 10: How can I add Office programs to the Most Used area?

Discus and support How can I add Office programs to the Most Used area? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I use Excel all the time but it doesn't show up in the Most Used area. When apps are in that section they get the little pop out window so I can go... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Kelemvor, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Kelemvor Win User

How can I add Office programs to the Most Used area?

I use Excel all the time but it doesn't show up in the Most Used area. When apps are in that section they get the little pop out window so I can go directly to a specific XLS file without having to open Excel first and then go open it.

Is there any way to force Excel to go into that list? It was in there on my previous computer but I just can't get it in there on my current one.

Thanks!

:)

Kelemvor, Jul 17, 2016

2. How to add apps to the most used apps list on the startup menu in Windows 10?

There are 6 apps listed as most used. How do I add more? I'd like to have about 10 or 12.

JessieHerr, Jul 17, 2016
  3. How to add apps to the most used apps list on the startup menu in Windows 10?

Hi Jessie,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you would like to increase the number of apps listed under Most used app in the start menu in Windows 10. I will be glad to assist you.

I would like to inform you that you cannot increase the number of apps situated under the Most used apps. The maximum number of apps which it can show at a time is 6. The number of apps you go on using recently, it will be shown
    rotation by rotation in the most used apps but at a time it can show you only 6 most recent apps that you have used.

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jul 17, 2016
  4. mrgeek Win User

mrgeek, Jul 17, 2016
  5. Kelemvor Win User
    Well, that talks about All Apps which isn't what I need. There is another tutorial linked in that one that references the MOST USED section but only talks about Removing something from Most Used and not adding.

See attached for where I want Excel to show up (red box) so I can get it with the little pop out arrow things (green box).

Kelemvor, Jul 17, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Why do you need that when you have a nice big unmissable tile to click - I turn off all but new apps.

With new menu design in RS1, these sub menus get in the way even more.

cereberus, Jul 17, 2016
  7. Berton Win User
    I also Pin to Start frequently used programs to the list of Tiles which puts them at the bottom then click and drag them up to the top or Commonly Used section.

Berton, Jul 17, 2016
  8. Kelemvor Win User

Because the tile doesn't support the pop out menu to let me choose a specific file that I want to open. I have to click the tile and let Excel open, then click the file I want to open. It's easier to just click the arrow on Excel from the Most Used area and then pick the file right off the Jump list.

Kelemvor, Jul 17, 2016
  9. I don't use the frequent or most used lists on Start either. Most used go on the Taskbar and less most used go on Start. There are a limited number of items stored on Most Used (10?) - I forget if it can be scrolled. If you remove other items from the list, Excel might become visible. When I played around with these features in the Preview, I removed everything from the lists and let them be rebuilt as I worked.

If you pin most used apps to the Taskbar, you should be able to use the jumplist to select the file (unless it gets rolled off the list by other files)

Slartybart, Jul 17, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    Fair enough but you probably will not like new design then as much.

cereberus, Jul 17, 2016
  11. Kelemvor Win User
    Kelemvor, Jul 17, 2016
  12. Berton Win User
    Interesting, I'm using Win10 Version 1511 Build 10586.494 and if I Pin to Start my Excel immediately comes off the Most Used list to show up in the Tiles. If I then Unpin from Start [Tiles] it immediately shows up again on the Most Used. The exact same thing happens with Word. And it works the same with WordPerfect X7. Guess one has to make a choice of how/where to display the shortcuts.

Berton, Jul 17, 2016
  13. Kelemvor Win User

I could kiss you right now. Well, maybe not since I don't know anything about you.

I guess I had manually pinned Excel to the Start area which removed it from the Most Used area. I just unpinned it from Start which put it back in Most Used. Why the heck those two areas are mutually exclusive makes no sense to me but that's Microsoft for you.

Thanks!

Kelemvor, Jul 17, 2016
  14. Berton Win User
    Same thought.

It could be Microsoft is trying to reduce things on the Start menu to lessen redundancy which in turn helps performance of the computer, albeit maybe in small ways.

Berton, Jul 17, 2016
  15. sideNote: I booted up Win10, went to Start, right clicked on cCleaner (known to have a jumplist) and ... and
    the jumplist is available from the tile on Start.

Slartybart, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I add Office programs to the Most Used area? - Similar Threads - add Office programs

2. How can I add program to App volume and device preferences?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I add program to App volume and device preferences?: I wish to mute the program vDos, but it does not appear on the App Volume and Device Preferences, how can I add this program to volume control so I can mute it? or Is there any other way to mute said app without turning off Master Speaker? The app itself does not a config...
  3. Follow-up: ADD a program to the Notification icon area.

Follow-up: ADD a program to the Notification icon area.: Hi, I know this was asked and the reply suggested that this is not possible. I was looking for an answer to this same question. I will tell you why so you can provide other possible ways of accomplishing this. I like Windows 7 - Show Desktop icon that also minimized all...
  4. How can i add shortcut of office files on "refresh tab"?

How can i add shortcut of office files on "refresh tab"?: As you guys can see there are some Office files but not excel, power point or word and I want to add other office files shortcut [ATTACH] Can someone help me how can i add other office shortcuts there?...
  5. How to add a program

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to add a program: I'm trying to install a ms fsx and the system won.t read disk 1....????? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-add-a-program/0d7af983-e343-4f7c-9e7d-4354fbbc8b57"
  6. How can I add a program to the "use other programs" list when associating file types?

How can I add a program to the "use other programs" list when associating file types?: I am trying to associate a file type (.txt) with a .exe such that when I open text files, it uses that program. When I attempt to do this through the settings menu, it does not provide the program I am looking for in the list, even when I click "other programs." How can I fix...
  7. Can I modify/customise, add to the "Most Used list?

Can I modify/customise, add to the "Most Used list?: Not sure what Microsoft is thinking, but the "most used" list...isn't functioning as you would expect. I want programs I launch often to go there, with the recent file list fly out, that's the most user-friendly feature brought over from Windows 7.... However, I've no idea...
  8. How to add a program?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to add a program?: If I go to Control\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Default Programs. There is a panel on the left with a list of programs. How can I add a another program to this list? Don Cole 77286
  9. Add/remove programs from Most Used List

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add/remove programs from Most Used List: ​Hi to the list. First apologize if i am posting in the wrong section. I have passe from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I rember that on the windows 7 i could drag and drop in the start menu all the programs i use mostly and in the mean time i could sorted the alphabetically....
  10. How to Add Items to "Most Used" menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Add Items to "Most Used" menu?: Dear experts One of the benefits of Windows10 that returned back from Windows7 is the Recent Menus. Unfortunately, this feature is associated with the "Most Used" section in the Start Menu. As most users, I used Office application frequently, Word, Excel, PowerPoint,...