Windows 10: How can I check my CD/DVD drive?

Discus and support How can I check my CD/DVD drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I spent several hours troubleshooting why I cannot burn a DVD without errors. I suspected the software (Pinnacle Studio 20) and made several changes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by lbeck, Dec 29, 2016.

1. lbeck Win User

How can I check my CD/DVD drive?

I spent several hours troubleshooting why I cannot burn a DVD without errors. I suspected the software (Pinnacle Studio 20) and made several changes including changing menus and burning w/o menus. Also tried burning the image file with other software (Nero). Tried using other writeable media also with no joy. Nothing worked. Then I decided to burn the image with an external burner, and it worked. Burned other images that wouldn't burn with my internal burner and they all played fine.

Device Manager claims that the burner is working properly.

I know that burners are fairly cheap and I'm considering replacing mine with a BluRay Read/write burner, but I'm concerned that after replacing the drive there may be some other problem not with the burner itself.

Is there freeware/trialware or some other recommended way to check to see if my existing burner is healthy?

:)

lbeck, Dec 29, 2016
  2. posedach Win User

windows 10 not recognizing my cd/dvd drive

[Merged]

My cd/dvd drive is present in device manager with no yellow exclamation , the driver is updated, the cd/dvd drive is shown in my Bios (sata) as being there with auto detection checked. the cd/dvd drive is non functional though. Its wired correctly in the
    computer. It used to work. I think I noticed this problem after upgrading to W10 from W7.

Does any one know how this can happen and how to resolve it?, thanks

Paul

posedach, Dec 29, 2016
  3. troymayo Win User
    dvd drive

I rebooted my PC and now my CD/DVD drive wont read any CDs or DVDs. How can I solve this problem?

troymayo, Dec 29, 2016
  4. Plankton Win User

It could be a driver issue, a firmware package update is needed. You need to take the make/model and look that up on the vendors website for help.

Plankton, Dec 29, 2016
  5. bobkn Win User
    Have you tried the built-in Windows burning utility?

As regards post #2, I haven't seen an optical drive in 20 years that needed special drivers (other than those in Windows), but I suppose that it's not impossible.

It's nice to have a BD burner. If you need more capacity than a single layer DVD, dual layer DVS are undesirable because of their slow write speeds. If you buy a BD burner, you may wish to consider one that supports BDXL (100GB). BDXL blank disks are expensive and may never become popular (which means they'll stay expensive), but they don't suffer the speed penalty of DVD-DL.

bobkn, Dec 29, 2016
  6. fireberd Win User
    bobkn is right. The only driver for optical drives is the built in Microsoft driver. Years ago there were drivers that needed to be loaded in the .bat file that was loaded at boot up.

fireberd, Dec 29, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    I had many lasers in CD/DVD ROMS going bad during the years. There are separate lasers for reading and writing and it doesn't take much for them to go bad. Once when they were expensive I have repaired many of them, even switched lasers on occasion. So you can have it read perfectly but write badly and vice versa.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I check my CD/DVD drive? - Similar Threads - check DVD drive

2. CD/DVD Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD/DVD Drive: Cannot get cd/dvd disc drive to be recognised https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive/2738a7b0-563c-46a3-9a31-8aa6ce8c8e7d
  3. I can not open the cd/dvd disk drive.

I can not open the cd/dvd disk drive.: I can not open the cd/dvd disk drive. There is no button to push. The computer is a dell vastro. Its a CPU not laptop. So please any one help me regarding this issue.Thanks for your forthcoming response....
  4. DVD/CD Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DVD/CD Drive: I insert a dixc into my dvd/cd drive and nothing happens. How can I fix this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvdcd-drive/7c42e92d-c893-4042-a6c4-e646b54e0acb
  5. cd/dvd drive

cd/dvd drive: I can't find the D drive or a cd/dvd drive on my hp laptop running windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive/1b318ed9-49d2-466a-a7f0-9983b5cec98d
  6. cd/dvd drive

cd/dvd drive: although previously working ok, my HP pavilion will not run cd/dvd, I think since Windows 10 updates. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive/2052dead-0253-46dc-a189-ffe263dd0d15
  7. cd/dvd drive

cd/dvd drive: I have a new/used laptop and can't see the files from my cd/dvd drive. Device manager says drive is working properly, but it's not. Can someone help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cddvd-drive/4a1c6a9a-0e94-4804-9a7f-b7f99b2d551a
  8. CD/DVD Drive

CD/DVD Drive: I am having problems with the CD/DVD Drive on my 5yr old (I think) Sony Vaio Laptop. When I put in a CD or DVD it will spin 3-4 times but will not load. I am using Windows 10 however I think it was working for a while after I got Windows 10. I have tried uninstalling and...
  9. cd/dvd drive

cd/dvd drive: i have a hp 2000 series notebook with windows 10 my cd/dvd drive will not open and when i searched for the driver i found nothing on it how can i restore it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/cddvd-drive/edb1aaaa-c415-4637-b9e1-590a8d23eb49
  10. No CD/DVD drive

No CD/DVD drive: After installing Microsofts Windows 10 upgrade I have found that it does not see my CD/DVD drive, I did have this problem once before with Windows 7 but was able to download a program from Microsoft called MrFixit.dvd.exe, when I tried running the software it reported that my...