Windows 10: How can I completely stop Windows Defender?

Discus and support How can I completely stop Windows Defender? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have Windows Defender shut off, but it seems to still want to run. I keep getting a pop up from my WinPatrol program that WD wants to run at startup.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Nikilet, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Nikilet Win User

How can I completely stop Windows Defender?

I have Windows Defender shut off, but it seems to still want to run. I keep getting a pop up from my WinPatrol program that WD wants to run at startup. I click the reject button but it keeps coming back. I fear it could be interfering with Macrium Reflect somehow because today after I clicked "reject" on that WD box, I got a pop up stating that Macrium would no longer run at startup. I definitely need that to run at startup because I added the Macrium Recovery Boot Menu option.

This program is not a necessary program and I should have the option to KILL it completely. Is there a way to do that?

:)

Nikilet, Oct 19, 2016

2. How can I get music to stop playing completely?

I actually found the source of my Battery usage problems. When I listen to third party music or audio applications, even after I back out of them to unload them, the media api which allows them to play audio in the background keeps the application running.

What I do is exit the audio application, stop my audio, then go to the music player built into the phone and play a local sound file. This has kept my phone from being warm in my pocket.

This is a bug, but I is not clear to me, how to report such issues to Microsoft, so they can be addressed.

Coach David, Oct 19, 2016
  3. 0to60 Win User
    How can I get music to stop playing completely?

So, I have to download a third party app to get my music to stop playing? I'd be amazed if any windows phone users find this satisfactory.

0to60, Oct 19, 2016
  4. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Yes, because it is scheduled to run at startup. To prevent it from running, start Task Manager, select start up, disable WD.

I don't see the relationship between the Macrium boot menu and it having to run at startup. Do you have scheduled tasks for Macrium to execute ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 19, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 19, 2016
  6. caperjack Win User
    an antivirus program is defiantly needed if you use the computer on the internet

caperjack, Oct 19, 2016
  7. Nikilet Win User
    I went to Task Manager/Startup and WD does not appear there.
    I'm no computer tech but seems to me if Macrium is disabled from running at startup, one might run into problems trying to use the boot menu item. And yes, Macrium is set to run 5 days per week to do full and differential backups.

Nikilet, Oct 19, 2016
  8. Nikilet Win User

I went to Task Manager/Startup and WD does not appear there.
    I'm no computer tech but seems to me if Macrium is disabled from running at startup, one might run into problems trying to use the boot menu item. And yes, Macrium is set to run 5 days per week to do full and differential backups.

caperjack: I do have anti virus but it is one of my own choosing.

Nikilet, Oct 19, 2016
  9. Nikilet Win User
    I have Home Premium so I would have to go into the registry and I don't think I feel up to messing around with this, especially when I read that it isn't a real simple thing to do.

Nikilet, Oct 19, 2016
  10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

All the boot menu is for is so you can launch Macrium's own version of WinPE should you need it to restore a non-functional system from a backup set.

In order for Macrium to create the scheduled backups it needs to run as a service. This is set to run automatically but won't appear in the startup list.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 19, 2016
  11. Download "Disable WD.bat" and run it as admin, then restart.

TairikuOkami, Oct 19, 2016
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Or else if you have the Pro version of W10:

Win +R

gpedit.msc
    navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender
    Turn off Windows Defender = Enabled

Cheers, *Wink

P.S. Be ware some AV programs and Windows Update may cause updating problems.

fdegrove, Oct 19, 2016
  13. Nikilet Win User

I have downloaded the file TairikuOkami gave me and will keep it on hand. But guess I will wait a bit more to see what happens. I am a little fearful of the info from fdegrove about causing problems with Windows Update if I do this. Also, I have Windows 10 Home Premium so that run command you gave will not work. Sigh ... *Sad

Nikilet, Oct 19, 2016
  14. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

This should work on both Pro and Home versions:

Open Notepad and paste in the following code:

Save as DisableDefender.reg. Double click it to import it into the registry.

Should you later on want to re-enable WD then change both the dword lines to read 00000000 and repeat the above.

Your AV program might be safe, no idea which one you have.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 19, 2016
  15. Nikilet Win User
    Thank you fdegrove for this helpful instruction! *Smile

Nikilet, Oct 19, 2016
Thema:

1. How can I completely stop Windows Defender? - Similar Threads - completely stop Defender

2. How can i stop false positives in Windows defender?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How can i stop false positives in Windows defender?: I have done some research but i cant find how to stop these false positives there names are win32/hive.zy.So if someone would please help me than i would appreciate it....
  3. Windows defender. Can i completely disable it?

Windows defender. Can i completely disable it?: Hi. I want to ask you if i can completely disable the windows defender from the windows 10 system. And if i can is it hard? Can i restore it? How i can do it please? 177095
  4. How can I stop Delivery Optimization completely?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I stop Delivery Optimization completely?: Whenever I start my PC, I saw in task manager a file named Delivery Optimization starts automatically and start consuming all my data, Plz help to stop it completely. I have already turned off it in Settings > Update and security > Advanced Options > Delivery Optimization....
  5. How can I completely reset Windows Defender to default settings?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I completely reset Windows Defender to default settings?: Defender is picking up threats that have already been deleted, and it won't stop bugging me about it. I'm trying to find a way to just factory reset defender but I'm not able to find a solution anywhere online. I've tried resetting it through the apps settings but it didn't...
  6. How Do I Completely and Permanently Disable Windows Defender

How Do I Completely and Permanently Disable Windows Defender: Windows Defender is useless, and I should disable the anti-virus program. In that way, I should never damage my computer. I have MalwareFox (a better program than Windows Defender). 157248
  7. How do I completely disable Windows Defender Antivirus?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I completely disable Windows Defender Antivirus?: submitted by /u/thatnerd69 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gb4ckl/how_do_i_completely_disable_windows_defender/
  8. Can Windows Defender be completely disabled in CU?

Can Windows Defender be completely disabled in CU?: Title. In 1607 and earlier, it was possible to shut it off. You could just turn each feature off from the Settings app, then use group policy settings to prevent it from turning itself back on (I used WinAeroTweaker to do this in one click) While I can still disable it...
  9. Completely Stop Windows Defender

Completely Stop Windows Defender: Just checking here. The only way to disable Windows defender is through: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Real-Time Protection] "DisableRealtimeMonitoring"=dword:00000001 & gpedit.msc >...
  10. How can I stop Windows Defender definitions update notifications?

How can I stop Windows Defender definitions update notifications?: They happen every day and I always get this slide in toast notification. The updates are like 50kb and are done in .5 of a second, I don't need to know about it I think it's because I disabled auto update because I'd heard of Windows 10 handling that in an incredibly...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Disable WD.bat

2. do i have to disbale windows defender when i download an antivirus package