Windows 10: how can I dual boot win10 with win7

Discus and support how can I dual boot win10 with win7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; simply, will have legal activated copies of each on the same PC in different drives. Right now, I have win 10, but I will have win7 on another drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sdowney717, Nov 9, 2017.

1. how can I dual boot win10 with win7

simply, will have legal activated copies of each on the same PC in different drives.
    Right now, I have win 10, but I will have win7 on another drive.

:)

sdowney717, Nov 9, 2017

2. win10 home auto powers on by it's self

So this did fix the booting into win10 first issue, i can now boot into win10 or win7 from the BCD boot menu and the win10 boot menu doesn't interfere or cause a dual boot to get back into win7.

JohnBelbeck, Nov 9, 2017
  3. How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Other Versions of Windows, macOS and Linux

Back in the day I updated to Win10 by adding another SSD into my machine and created a dual boot when I "upgraded" from Win7. The other day my Win10 installation when belly up and I had to do a reinstall which has wiped out my dual boot. How do I tell Win10
    that my D:\ is my Win7 installation and crate a dual boot?

BryanDeVries, Nov 9, 2017
  4. topgundcp Win User

how can I dual boot win10 with win7

Here's what i would do:
    • Disconnect the drive with Windows10.
    • Install Win 7 to the other drive. This will create the neccessary partitions to boot Windows 7 by itself.
    • Reconnect the drive containing Windows 10 and boot up.
    • Note that the C: drive of Windows 7 is now changed to another letter. For example E: Drive
    • Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot E:\Windows
    • Reboot. You'll have a dual boot menu to boot from.

NOTE: You could also install Win 7 without disconnecting Windows 10 but IMO, this is cleaner to have Win 7 with its own boot manager in case you want to separate 7 & 10 and boot by themself.

topgundcp, Nov 9, 2017
  5. ThrashZone, Nov 9, 2017
  6. AddRAM Win User
    *Ditto

Do it exactly how Topgun described. Keeping both installs separate is the BEST way to do it.

AddRAM, Nov 10, 2017
  7. vfoster Win User
    Not sure if I need to start my own thread, but I have a related question. I managed to install Windows 7 and get it to dual boot with my already installed Windows 10. However, since I installed 7 after 10, I now get the legacy boot menu (black, DOS-style). I'd prefer the metro GUI boot menu (the blue one). Does anyone know how I can change to that boot loader?

vfoster, Nov 11, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

In Windows 10, open command prompt (admin) or powershell (admin) and run:

bcdboot C:\Windows

NavyLCDR, Nov 11, 2017
  9. vfoster Win User
    Thank you! So simple and elegant.

But now it's showing 5 different boot options: Win 10, CD/DVD drive, Harddrive, USB, and Win 7. I'm not sure why all the other options are listed. I'd prefer if Win 10 and 7 were the only options. Do you mind telling me what's the safest way to remove the unwanted options?

vfoster, Nov 12, 2017
  10. AddRAM Win User
    AddRAM, Nov 12, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    Run msconfig, select boot tab, delete unwanted entries. I also click make entries permanent as that removes old entries forever.

cereberus, Nov 12, 2017
  12. AddRAM Win User
    Very strange that those entries would be in msconfig, maybe the command Navy gave could has something to do with that ?

Wanted to bring that up, but thought, how could those entries get there *Huh

AddRAM, Nov 12, 2017
  13. vfoster Win User

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried, but it only shows entries for Win 10 and 7. Same when I go to the Boot tab of msconfig.

vfoster, Nov 12, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    in command prompt (admin) run:

bcdedit

Are the mystery entries listed in the results? If they are then run:

bcdedit /delete {guid}

{guid} will be the actual guid of the entry you want to delete. You can cut and paste the guid's.

NavyLCDR, Nov 12, 2017
  15. vfoster Win User
    Once again, thank you. That worked perfectly.
    Yep, they were listed. It's what I thought was the correct method, but just needed to hear it from someone who knows better than me. I noticed the entries when I ran bcdedit a few days back, but thought nothing of them because they weren't showing up on boot. Glad to finally have that resolved. Thanks again.

vfoster, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. how can I dual boot win10 with win7 - Similar Threads - dual boot win10

2. win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10/win7 dual boot (hardware option): On my desktop I am using ICY DOCK SSD cage for my OS: MB322SP-B_ExpressCage_2.5" HDD/SSD CAGES_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable hard drive enclosure...
  3. Dual boot Win10 Win7

Dual boot Win10 Win7: Hi, Some time ago I bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed on it and have been trying to make my old programs work with this OS. I've found solutions for most of them but for a couple (a database and some old games) it doesn't seem possible to make them run on Win10....
  4. Dual boot Win7 & Win10 on same HDD - How to eliminate Win7?

Dual boot Win7 & Win10 on same HDD - How to eliminate Win7?: I had a single hard drive with Windows 7 on it and then created another partition and loaded Windows 10 on that resulting in a dual boot setup.I want to eliminate the dual boot setup and delete the partition with windows 7 on it leaving a single partition with only Windows...
  5. how can I dual boot win10 and win7

how can I dual boot win10 and win7: I upgraded to win 10 on my pc bt I discovered my gaming is too slow, so I want to install win 7 through a system image I created on my second pc( the same type and specs but different username and o.s since I upgraded my main pc from win7 to win10) onto the new...
  6. Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade

Dual Boot Win7 after the Win10 Upgrade: Just wondering if this can be done or would I be opening a can of worms. I recently did the Win7 to Win10 upgrade. All is fine. The Win7 was OEM and I have the 4 OEM disks that came with the PC. Is it possible now to reinstall Win7 on a new partition on my C drive, using...
  7. Win10+Win7 dual boot issue

Win10+Win7 dual boot issue: Dear all, I hope I have not missed a thread with a similar problem: I had Win10 installed on drive C: with the boot loader on drive D: (where I previously had my old Win10 installation). I wanted to add Win7 to my PC and formated drive D: - I totally forgot that I had the...
  8. Dual Boot Win7/Win10

Dual Boot Win7/Win10: Reloaded factory software on Dell XPS laptop Win7. Created additional partition for Win10. Installed Win10 iso from boot to the separate partition. Previously labeled C drive as Win7 and D drive as Win10. Default boot is Win7. Works fine. On the boot screen I choose Win10....
  9. Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?: Hi, I have a dual boot set up - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an SSD drive and Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive. I would like to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and keep the Windows 7 OS in tact. Is this possible? Can I just go through the upgrade process from...
  10. Dual Boot Win7 & Win10

Dual Boot Win7 & Win10: I used the ISO (64bit) burnt to DVD, changed boot order to install and installed to a new 250GB HDD, setup was about 15 mins and the dual boot works great, Windows 10 installed fine and Windows 7 has not been affected and runs as normal *Biggrin 2010