Windows 10: How can I edit Properties of .mts video files in File Explorer?

Discus and support How can I edit Properties of .mts video files in File Explorer? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am able to edit Properties of a .jpeg file while in File Explorer. I right click on a .jpeg file and am able to type information into some of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Loki the Dog, Jun 17, 2017.

1. How can I edit Properties of .mts video files in File Explorer?

I am able to edit Properties of a .jpeg file while in File Explorer. I right click on a .jpeg file and am able to type information into some of the fields in the Details tab.
    When I try to do the same thing to a .mts video file, I can't get a cursor in any of the fields that would be editable if it was a .jpeg file.
    I use my computer a lot. But I'm not a coder. I know nothing about command line or editing the registry.
    I Googled a lot looking for an answer.
    I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this question. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!...

:)

Loki the Dog, Jun 17, 2017

2. How can I tag .mts files using File Explorer in Windows 10 Pro x64?

With a .jpeg, I can edit tags and comments fields in the Details tab of the file properties when I'm in File Explorer.

But with a .mts file, I can't seem to edit those fields.

How can I edit those fields of the file properties of a .mts file?

I apologize if SuperUser isn't the appropriate site to ask this question. I've really tried hard to find an answer by Googling.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Lokithedog, Jun 17, 2017
  3. BeataZych Win User
    How to force Windows Photos App to index .mts files?

I've installed K-Lite Codec Pack on Windows 10 to add support for .MTS video format. Now every Windows app can play .MTS format (including photos app).

I use windows 10 photos app to organize my photos & videos, but I don't know how to force this app to index .MTS videos. When I open mts video with Photos app it is played correctly, but .mts files aren't indexed in photos library (mp4/avi videos are indexed
    without problems).

Maybe there is some settings dialog or registry key to overwrite indexable file formats for Photos app?

BeataZych, Jun 17, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

How can I edit Properties of .mts video files in File Explorer?

Hi, see similar thread here on mkv files.
    How to add details to mkv files for explorer? - Windows 10 Forums

I don't have any mts files, so can't comment further, I'm afraid. Can you upload a small one?

Some insight into explorer and metadata access in later versions of Windows here:
    File Metadata - Home

User comment:
    - but it can't do that for file types which intrinsically don't provide metadata features of course.

dalchina, Jun 17, 2017
  5. Loki the Dog, Jun 17, 2017
  6. Ditendra Win User
    So this is more related to mkv not windows as I see? Is there possibility to contact mkv creators and ask for a suggestion to add year tag to mkv files?
    P.S. Oops wrong thread, thought I was posting in my thread.

Ditendra, Jun 17, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    It appears that for the AVCHD/.mts format there's no provision for metadata in the video file itself...

AVCHD Metadata & keywords workflow in CS6 | Adobe Community

8. How can I edit Properties of .mts video files in File Explorer?

Thanks, Bree! Yeah, I was starting to get that feeling. Microsoft and others give the impression to newbies that you can just tag your files and that you don't have to depend on folder structure anymore. What they don't say is that it doesn't always work, such as in this case.
    I don't think I'm gonna get into "sidecar" files or a lot of new software. I think I'm just gonna shoot in .mp4 and accept lower video quality.
    So I won't say that this question is solved. But I can say that as far as I'm concerned, it's closed. Thank you, my friend!...JP

9. Bree New Member
    The quality of .mp4 can be as good (or as bad) as you want. It all depends on the parameters you choose. Investigate Constant Rate Factor (CRF) - a CRF of 0 is effectively lossless (but makes for insanely large files).

CRF Guide (Constant Rate Factor in x264 and x265)

You can also specify the amount of time spent encoding each frame, from 'ultrafast' down to 'veryslow'. The more time you allow, the better the apparent quality (and the smaller the file) for a given crf.

For all my format conversion and encoding I use FFmpeg. Typically I use a crf of 28 with the slowest possible processing to achieve near-broadcast quality with a small file size.
    About FFmpeg

10. Ah, thanks again. That may turn out to help me sometime in the future, though I don't know the terminology enough to have any idea what you are discussing now.
    I think I need a very basic education in all this. Can you suggest a book or an online tutorial on the fundamentals of the terminology and how all this works? People use words like encoders and codecs. I have no idea what they are talking about. Should I just jump into Premiere Elements to learn this? If I was to get a consumer program like that, would I just be avoiding the task of learning the basics?

11. Bree New Member
  12. Thanks, Bree! I'll give it a try. But I think I need something even more basic than that. But thanks....JP

Loki the Dog, Jun 18, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

How about a cartoon? *Smile

Video Codecs 101

and there looks to be a lot more useful basic info in the 'Up next' listing...

14. Now you're talking! I prefer it in text form. But that level of fundamentals is what I'm talking about. I think I need one of those "Video Editing For Dummies" or "Video Editing For Complete Idiots" kind of books. Something that starts from zero and builds my foundation. And I think it's gotta be something I pay for because all the free stuff online seems to have a marketing agenda, is outdated, or is unreliable.

Loki the Dog, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I edit Properties of .mts video files in File Explorer? - Similar Threads - edit Properties mts

2. Editing file properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Editing file properties: Some years ago I found a utility that enabled bulk editing of just about all file properties: extracting parts of entries, adding parts, renumbering files. Then I lost it. Does anyone recall anything? I have searched the web for such utilities but so far I've not found any...
  3. Editing file properties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Editing file properties: Some years ago I found a utility that enabled bulk editing of just about all file properties: extracting parts of entries, adding parts, renumbering files. Then I lost it. Does anyone recall anything? I have searched the web for such utilities but so far I've not found any...
  4. Editing file properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Can not edit file property details

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not edit file property details: I'm aware this has been discussed before, but I can not add an album artist to a file that has no album artist. I want to change it so I have a way to categorize the file. However, the suggested way of changing details does not work pressing F2 while the file is open. If any...
  6. Can not edit file property details

Can not edit file property details: I'm aware this has been discussed before, but I can not add an album artist to a file that has no album artist. I want to change it so I have a way to categorize the file. However, the suggested way of changing details does not work pressing F2 while the file is open. If any...
  7. Editing JPG File Properties

Editing JPG File Properties: When viewing the properties of a jpg file, Win 10 only lets you edit the "date taken" field, but NOT the "date created" field. Is their a program out there that can edit the latter field?...
  8. Editing JPG File Properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Editing JPG File Properties: When viewing the properties of a jpg file, Win 10 only lets you edit the "date taken" field, but NOT the "date created" field. Is their a program out there that can edit the latter field?...
  9. Editing File Properties

Editing File Properties: I'm trying to edit the file properties of an mp3 file already has some info typed in to some fields, but whenever I try to add a field or edit a field and hit apply it doesn't save the new changes, and also deletes everything that was already there. This is really...
  10. MTS files

MTS files: I have downloaded a .MTS file. What format will Windows Media Player run? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mts-files/3ea109d9-6da0-47a5-b1c8-74fe862b065f