Windows 10: How can I enter a square box as an ASCII character?

Discus and support How can I enter a square box as an ASCII character? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello Is there any way to enter an ASCII character that shows up as a white square box? Background: In my hand-written pand & paper notes, I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ship69, Oct 20, 2016.

1. ship69 Win User

How can I enter a square box as an ASCII character?

Hello

Is there any way to enter an ASCII character that shows up as a white square box?

Background: In my hand-written pand & paper notes, I have various conventions for using different types of bullets in the margin. And if I draw a white square box in the margin, this provides a quick way for me to visually scan my notes to find anything that is an exectable task that requires action.

What I then do is come back and tick the box once it is done.

Does any ASCII character exist that will reliably show up in different applications as a which box with a solid/black border? And if so, is there any way to enter it using Alt plus the numeric keyboard?

Also good would be an ASCII character for a box with a tick inside it. (Or even just a tick?!)

Cheers

J

PS I am using Windows 10, the English Language, the UK region and various standard applications (e.g. The MS Office365 suite, TextPad, MindManager, MLO, Xara, plus Firefox/Edge/Chrome browers)

:)

ship69, Oct 20, 2016

2. N80 and Wifi key

Ok me again, looks like i found the problem, when entering the key you should select the input method ‘ASCII’ or ‘Hexadecimal’. In the ‘ASCII’ mode, the input must be 8 to 63 characters. In the ‘Hexadecimal’ mode, enter 64 characters.

However the Nokia N80 does not have the option for hex or ASCII when entering the WAP preshared key.

So it looks like it is a software error on the phone side, or that im just missing a step on setting this up on the phone side

Anyone know about any fixes for this or how i can contact the developers for help on this....

bluedrakie, Oct 20, 2016
  3. grschinon Win User
    Nokia E71 - How do you enter a HEX WPA Key?

You can only enter the ASCII key.

grschinon, Oct 20, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

If you hold down alt type tge ASCII number it should work

Samuria, Oct 20, 2016
  5. There is a series of box-drawing ASCII characters, such as 179/180, 187/188. Do a search for an ASCII character list, which will show you all of the relevant numbers.

Not Myself, Oct 20, 2016
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    Box drawing characters in the ANSI range are genererally found only in the OEM fonts, such as are used in cmd.exe. The characters do exist in the unicode range but are more difficult to enter.

LMiller7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I enter a square box as an ASCII character? - Similar Threads - enter square box

2. Alt-codes to enter ASCII symbols

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alt-codes to enter ASCII symbols: I just did the latest update to Windows 10 Oct 21, 22. Now I can't use the alt-codes to enter ASCII symbols. This capability is important for using international alphabet symbols. Microsoft - when will you reinstate this capability? If you haven't considered this, please do....
  3. Alt-codes to enter ASCII symbols

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alt-codes to enter ASCII symbols: I just did the latest update to Windows 10 Oct 21, 22. Now I can't use the alt-codes to enter ASCII symbols. This capability is important for using international alphabet symbols. Microsoft - when will you reinstate this capability? If you haven't considered this, please do....
  4. Can't enter multiple Ascii characters in Notepad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't enter multiple Ascii characters in Notepad: Lenovo Legion laptopWindows 11English language settingsSwedish keyboard settingsNow, the issue is that whenever I open a new .txt file in notepad I can enter a total of 1 Ascii character using the left-alt + numpad method. Attempting to enter a second character using the same...
  5. Can't enter multiple Ascii characters in Notepad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't enter multiple Ascii characters in Notepad: Lenovo Legion laptopWindows 11English language settingsSwedish keyboard settingsNow, the issue is that whenever I open a new .txt file in notepad I can enter a total of 1 Ascii character using the left-alt + numpad method. Attempting to enter a second character using the same...
  6. Substitution of 'Malgun Gothic' displays square boxes instead of actual character

in Windows 10 Customization
    Substitution of 'Malgun Gothic' displays square boxes instead of actual character: I tried to change the default font of Windows 10 to a custom font by substituting 'Malgun Gothic' and additional fonts like 'Gulim' and 'Dotum' etc, the default Korean fonts in Windows, with registry editing, but after restarting the computer, although the font in the file...
  7. ASCII codes in Character Map

ASCII codes in Character Map: Hello, I am looking for a way to show the ASCII codes of all characters that have one in the Character Map in Windows 10 Pro as used to be the case in older versions, in such a way that when I wish to insert a special character in another application I can easily check what...
  8. Why some text Unicode Character display as square box?

in Cortana
    Why some text Unicode Character display as square box?: when i type some text like "" in windows 10, it display as square box while android does not, why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-some-text-unicode-character-display-as-square/50573790-e2f4-4dae-857c-d9a284b74af4
  9. ASCII code needed for this character: ϖ

ASCII code needed for this character: ϖ: TWiMC: I am desperately looking for the ascii code to produce the following text character » ϖ MANY THANKS for your help!! __ Nikki Grace Holmes https:// reaganator . com Zero relation to California's ex-governor....
  10. Ascii name for folder is now squares.

Ascii name for folder is now squares.: I had a folder I used with the ascii symbol ♪ as the name of the folder. After the latest Windows 10 update, that folder's name is now a square. When I try to paste the ♪ symbol back as the name, it still shows up as a square. It would seem Windows 10 dropped support for...