Windows 10: How can I exclude a core from scheduling any threads?

Discus and support How can I exclude a core from scheduling any threads? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have an AMD A10-7850K (Stear). This CPU has cores arranged in pairs which share certain resources. I want to do timing tests on a program (call it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mrolle, Jun 19, 2017.

1. mrolle Win User

How can I exclude a core from scheduling any threads?

I have an AMD A10-7850K (Stear). This CPU has cores arranged in pairs which share certain resources.
    I want to do timing tests on a program (call it X), where it runs exclusively on one core (say, 2), while nothing runs at all on its partner core (in this case, core 3). (This is on a CPU with 4 cores enabled.)
    I know how to do the first part, by setting X's affinity to core 2 and realtime priority so that Windows will never interrupt it on core 2.
    But I don't know how to keep core 3 "parked".

My motherboard allows me to set the number of pairs of cores that are visible to Windows. I'd like to enable 3 cores, and then pin X to core 2, but that doesn't seem to be possible with the BIOS.

I have 4 cores on my machine (currently set in the BIOS). I notice that Windows seems to park or unpark cores 2 and 3 at the same time, and never unparks core 0 or 1.

I can think of a some possibilities.

1. Come up with a program (Y) to pin to core 1 which runs at realtime priority but doesn't consume any resources, such as by running a halt instruction or waiting for some event that will never happen. However, I don't know if Windows will schedule some other thread for core 1 when Y is in a wait state.

2. Is there something in the Registry which will park a specific core? This might be done separately for each power plan.

3. Is there something in the Registry that would set the min number of unparked cores? I know I can set the max % to a low number in order to disable parking altogether. If I can set the min to, say 50%, I would guess that cores 2 and 3 will always be parked. If I pin X to core 2 (assuming that Windows will use a parked core to satisfy the affinity of X), then core 3 should remain unscheduled. If Windows will not use a parked core for X, then I would want to set the min to 75% to unpark 0, 1, and 2 while 3 is parked.

4. If all else fails, I'll just leave the system as it is, and shut down as many processes as I can, and hope that core 3 won't get used very much. My timing tests should be valid for brief intervals of time and I can infer that speed of X when running without interference from core 3. I've seen that if I have X pinned to core 2, then Windows tends to schedule other work evenly among cores 0, 1, and 2.

:)

mrolle, Jun 19, 2017
  2. Bakanisan Win User

Is there a way to keep those excluded folders intact while using full scan with Windows Defender?

I have several folders excluded from being scanned and it works well with scheduled partial scan. But when i use full scan it just sweep through my whole excluding list. How can i avoid that?

Bakanisan, Jun 19, 2017
  3. Jessen P Win User
    How Can I Exclude From Shuffle?

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10.

If your computer is having problems playing video or audio files in Windows Media Player, try using the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter checks the configuration and network settings for Windows Media Player
    to make sure that you can play content you've downloaded and saved to your computer, or content streaming over a network or the Internet.

Run the Windows Media Player settings troubleshooter and see if it helps.

a: Press
    Windows logo to open the search box.

b: Type troubleshooting, hit enter.

c: Now click
    Programs.

d: Then click
    Windows Media Settings.

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining to Windows in the future. We will be happy to help.

Jessen P, Jun 19, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, this is probably not what you're looking for- not an area I've looked into- but here it is anyway- it can't be as simple as this:

How can I exclude a core from scheduling any threads? [​IMG]

dalchina, Jun 19, 2017
Thema:

1. How can I exclude a core from scheduling any threads? - Similar Threads - exclude core scheduling

2. can anyone says, how to exclude a client from WSUS server policy?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can anyone says, how to exclude a client from WSUS server policy?: I want to exclude a windows 11 machine connected to a WSUS server! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-anyone-says-how-to-exclude-a-client-from-wsus/04a43632-d8ef-43ee-be27-518394b5c32c
  3. How to find CPU cores and threads in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to find CPU cores and threads in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]If you want to find the number of CPU cores and threads in Windows 11 or Windows 10 PC, here is how you can do that. There are multiple ways to find the number of CPU cores and threads on Windows 11/10, and this article explains most methods. You can follow any one of...
  4. how do i exclude files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i exclude files: i cant find exclusions in settings, is there any other way to add exclusions to files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-exclude-files/36dcef85-2df3-4de6-b3ed-7ae43afb7b47
  5. how do i exclude files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i exclude files: i cant find exclusions in settings, is there any other way to add exclusions to files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-exclude-files/36dcef85-2df3-4de6-b3ed-7ae43afb7b47
  6. How to exclude files from antivirus or firewall?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to exclude files from antivirus or firewall?: Hi, anytime I try to exclude some folders in the virus protection settings, I’ll get to the point where I choose the folder I want to add and I’m click yes when it asks if I want the program to make changes to make my computer and nothing will happen. The exclusion list just...
  7. I can not exclude from WDC DumpStack.log.tmp

in Windows 10 Support
    I can not exclude from WDC DumpStack.log.tmp: Hello, Windows 10 version 2004 I can not exclude from Wise Drive Cleaner the file DumpStack.log.tmp, the file is in use, what I should do? Thanks 162824
  8. How can I schedule themes to change?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I schedule themes to change?: Yes, I've seen online where people change the theme from default Light to default Dark, but I want to schedule the change of my own created themes, whether they are light or dark. If possible, I would like to do it using Windows Task Scheduler or some script, and not download...
  9. Are there any system messages I can use in Task Scheduler to...?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Are there any system messages I can use in Task Scheduler to...?: I have an HP 15-d089wm. HP provides an AC power management software to auto turn on/off the use of ac power between time x and time y, and only in that maner I am wanting to know if there are system messages I could use in Task Scheduler to set my own rules for when to turn...
  10. How can i disable task scheduler?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can i disable task scheduler?: I want to be able to do the tasks when i want to so i dont need task sceduler but the only option that works changing the schedule startup to 4 but after a restart my taskbar is crippled does anyone know how to successfully turn it off? 75739