Windows 10: How can I free up drive space

Discus and support How can I free up drive space in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How can I free up drive space from the Windows installer folder without killing Windows? 80832 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Adriaan Jansens, Apr 2, 2017.

1. How can I free up drive space

How can I free up drive space from the Windows installer folder without killing Windows?

:)

Adriaan Jansens, Apr 2, 2017
  2. pielouka Win User

How can you free up space on a phone drive?

My (Lumia 640) phone is letting me know that it's running out of space. This is mostly due to photos.

Can I delete them from the phone while letting them remain on the OneDrive cloud?

I know it's not possible to uninstall the built-in Windows Mobile apps I'll never use (Groove Music, Xbox, Movies & TV) but can I delete that data from those apps?

For instance Movies & TV: In Storage/Apps/Movies & TV/Advanced options the app has 22mb and data is 16.5mb Groove music has another 32.2mb of data, dunno why I never use it. There's a reset button but it's grayed out.

Thanks for any help.

Moved from: Mobile Devices / Microsoft Lumia and Nokia Lumia / Settings / 600-series

pielouka, Apr 2, 2017
  3. How can you free up space on a phone drive?

Hello,

You can free up space on your Lumia by uninstalling applications, moving files to a PC, SD card or other devices and deleting temporary or unnecessary files. If you created a back up or sync the photos from your phone, it is safe to delete it on your device
    and download it later if you need it. To better help you on how to use OneDrive on Windows phone, you can visit this
    link.

Some apps especially Windows Mobile built-in apps doesn't allow the reset option. The only way to clear its data is to perform a
    hard reset on the phone. Take note that this method will
    remove all contents on your phone so make sure to
    create a back up to avoid any data loss and to easily restore files. You can do a hard reset by going to
    Settings > System > About >
    Reset
    your phone. This might take a little while to complete.

If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to "mark it as answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Michael Rey, Apr 2, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member
  5. EdTittel Win User
    Dear Adrian:
    NavyLCDR is absolutely right, but there's more you can do above and beyond Disk Cleanup. I've blogged or written about this topic many times, so here are some links:
    1. SearchEnterpriseDesktop "How to create more Windows 10 disk space"
    2. CIO.com: "How to reduce Windows 10's on-disk footprint"
    3. Windows Enterprise Desktop blog "Another Nice System Drive Cleanup Maneuver"
    4. Pearson QUE: "Reducing the Amount of Storage Space Required for Windows Driver Store"
    You will also find tutorials here at TenForums that describe how to move folder locations from the boot/system drive to other drives (a great way to free up space on tight boot/system drives) by running this search.
    For really constrained disk situations, this tutorial is also quite helpful: Compress or Uncompress Windows 10 with Compact OS - Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials .
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 2, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    To find out just how much can be recovered, in an elevated command prompt type:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /analyzeComponentStore

For your options, type:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /?

The most powerful (Note the WARNING!) being the ResetBase option: Code: /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup [/ResetBase [/Defer]] Use /StartComponentCleanup to clean up the superseded components and reduce the size of the component store. Use /ResetBase to reset the base of superseded components, which can further reduce the component store size. Use /Defer with /ResetBase to defer long-running cleanup operations to the next automatic maintenance. WARNING! The installed Windows Updates cannot be uninstalled after the /StartComponentCleanup with /ResetBase operation is completed.[/quote] My system has been progressively updated since the initial upgrade to 10240 in July 2015. ResetBase recovered some 3-4GB, and that's on top of regularly using Disk Clean-up to clean up system files and windows updates.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How can I free up drive space

1. How can I free up drive space - Similar Threads - free drive space

2. How can I free up more space?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I free up more space?: My windows 10 is telling me i’m using 222GB of storage. I have lots of large games but they are all definitely downloaded to my external storage device, not my actual pc. that device has 2,000GB left. My pc is not letting me open google chrome or do anything because it has...
  3. How can I free up more space?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I free up more space?: My windows 10 is telling me i’m using 222GB of storage. I have lots of large games but they are all definitely downloaded to my external storage device, not my actual pc. that device has 2,000GB left. My pc is not letting me open google chrome or do anything because it has...
  4. How can I free up more space?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. how can I delete files to free up space?

in Cortana
    how can I delete files to free up space?: Please, I need to know how I can delete files to free up space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-delete-files-to-free-up-space/c123eea0-87ec-4cd7-bb1e-fb7ca0035b4b
  6. how can I delete files to free up space?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can I delete files to free up space?: Please, I need to know how I can delete files to free up space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-delete-files-to-free-up-space/c123eea0-87ec-4cd7-bb1e-fb7ca0035b4b
  7. How can I free up storage space?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I free up storage space?: Hi, I am trying to free up some storage space, and when I view the properties of my users folder it says (after counting all the files for some seconds) that the size on disk is 202GB. When I go into the folder, adding up the size of each folder within the users folder gives...
  8. How to free up hard drive space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to free up hard drive space: I've got a computer with a ~120G SSD and a larger HDD. I've made a real effort to keep anything discretionary off the SSD, but as I'm a (new) developer there are lots of installs, and the space keeps creeping up. The plan had been to install a larger SSD, but now that Covid...
  9. How to free up hard drive space

in Windows 10 Support
    How to free up hard drive space: I've got a computer with a ~120G SSD and a larger HDD. I've made a real effort to keep anything discretionary off the SSD, but as I'm a (new) developer there are lots of installs, and the space keeps creeping up. The plan had been to install a larger SSD, but now that Covid...
  10. Free up drive space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Free up drive space: I'm in settings trying to remove disk space to Free up drive space and it has been over an hour and still is not done. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-drive-space/6444bfde-0eb1-4c41-a966-7bf7ca496634"