Windows 10: How can I gain access to move files in my home network?

Discus and support How can I gain access to move files in my home network? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have retired a second computer and have hooked it via Ethernet to a remote location on my home. I can see the files on the remote computer and from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lbeck, Aug 31, 2015.

1. lbeck Win User

How can I gain access to move files in my home network?

I have retired a second computer and have hooked it via Ethernet to a remote location on my home. I can see the files on the remote computer and from the remote computer to the main. When I try drag/drop to get files from the main to remote, I get a permissions denied message. I've changed permissions to allow everyone access but continue to get messages like "destination folder access denied". I get different messages depending on what I've tried, and I can repeat them or supply screen captures if that will help understand my problem.

Is there a good tutorial somewhere that can walk me through unlocking all of the restrictions so that I can move files between computers at will? This is not an office or public network where security is an issue. I'm only trying to move files between two home computers on my wired network.

Thanks.

:)

lbeck, Aug 31, 2015

2. How can I gain access to my own locked files? Changing permissions doesn't work.

We appreciate your response. For further resolution on your concern in gaining access to your files, we suggest that you run
    Check Disk. By doing this, it will check your hard drive and correct any errors. Also, it can be useful for troubleshooting read errors and other storage related errors. Kindly refer to the following steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on This PC.
    • Right-click the Hard Disk you wish to run CHKDSK on.
    • Click on Properties.
    • Click on Tools in the Properties window.
    • Under Error-Checking, click on Check.
    • CHKDSK will now start to run on Windows 10.

Your reply is most important to us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Michael Gall, Aug 31, 2015
  3. How can I gain access to my own locked files? Changing permissions doesn't work.

I'm aware of all the responses below and have been trying all of those methods for years (including today). None of them do anything. I should note that it is not ALL the files.

Out of the 1600 or so on the drive that I'm trying to get, only about 300 of them are locked.

How can I gain access to move files in my home network? [​IMG]

One of the things on the link from Michael Gall was that the files could be encrypted. So, I took a look.

How can I gain access to move files in my home network? [​IMG]

Seems that some of my files ARE encrypted. There's where it shows the box checked and there it's got my name (from old computer years ago) as the User with Access as well as a certificate thumbprint. I'm not sure how some of the files ended up encrypted
    and the rest not (unless it's corrupted somehow and just reading that way), but I'm not sure not what the next step would be.

JD_Harwell, Aug 31, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

You need to change Security settings on the drive to allow permissions for "Everyone". Specifically your User Folder. I just set mine to no password, public sharing on "All Networks" in Advanced Sharing Options. Mainly because if I am working on my Linux test box or my wife's laptop. I can pull up anything that may be on my machine.

bro67, Sep 1, 2015
  5. lbeck Win User
    I think that I may have found the key. I changed permissions on the receiving computer and finally got the file to be copied. I'll continue to work with this routine. Maybe my problem is solved. I'll post back later.

lbeck, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I gain access to move files in my home network? - Similar Threads - gain access move

2. How can I gain access of my Data D: drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I gain access of my Data D: drive?: Good evening,I am trying install games/files on my computer and trying to save them to the D Drive since it's storage space is untouched. Every time i choose that specific drive it gives me an error "D:\ is not accessible. Access is denied". I have already searched on google...
  3. How can I gain access of my Data D: drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I gain access of my Data D: drive?: Good evening,I am trying install games/files on my computer and trying to save them to the D Drive since it's storage space is untouched. Every time i choose that specific drive it gives me an error "D:\ is not accessible. Access is denied". I have already searched on google...
  4. How do I gain permissions to access the WindowsApps file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I gain permissions to access the WindowsApps file?: I am unable to access the Windowsapps file within program files even though I am the only account on my pc. I have the administrator myself as the owner of the file but I am still unable to assign permission....
  5. How do I gain permissions to access the WindowsApps file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I gain permissions to access the WindowsApps file?: I am unable to access the Windowsapps file within program files even though I am the only account on my pc. I have the administrator myself as the owner of the file but I am still unable to assign permission....
  6. How to gain unique access to a file in a internal network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to gain unique access to a file in a internal network: I want to keep a file updated and this file is accessible by multiple users. This file can be on a folder of an internal network. When this file is on my local machine and two instances of my software try to access the file, the first gain access open and lock for...
  7. How do I gain access to my laptop

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How do I gain access to my laptop: I have an HP touchscreen laptop less than 6 months old with Windows 10 preloaded. When I turn it on, the picture comes up. However, no matter what I do, the Pin log-in area will not come up so I can enter my pin. Win10 was preloaded so I do not have a disk or even a...
  8. Help me gain access to my files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help me gain access to my files: My laptop came with a 1 tb hard drive with an additional m.2 ssd slot. After using it without ssd for a while, I recently purchased a samsung m.2 ssd. I managed to install windows on it but for some reason the windows installation on my hard drive became corrupt ( i know it...
  9. Decrypt File and to gain access

Decrypt File and to gain access: Hello, recently I upgraded to Windows 10, but I saved a couple of files from Windows 7. It has a yellow lock that signifies that is encrypted. It also says when I try to open it, "You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to...
  10. How to access files from all of my Home Network

How to access files from all of my Home Network: Hi, I want to access my pc from all of my home network. My OS is - Windows 10 Home edition. So I have internet connection through lan cable (cat 6) which connects to my D-Link LAN and WiFi router (call it Main router). I select PPPoE in the Main router, enter my...