Windows 10: How can I get my browser (chrome) to know where I really am?

Discus and support How can I get my browser (chrome) to know where I really am? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; When Walmart.com, accuweather, or anything else, comes up, it gives me information for a town 30 miles away. I then have to change stores or whatever... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Toller, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Toller Win User

How can I get my browser (chrome) to know where I really am?

When Walmart.com, accuweather, or anything else, comes up, it gives me information for a town 30 miles away. I then have to change stores or whatever for my actual location. I think it is basing my location on where my ISP is, but that is not where I am. Is there anyway to fix this?

Chrome 62
    Windows 10

:)

Toller, Dec 6, 2017
  2. Bruceneo Win User

Can't log onto Windows sites with Chrome

I am having issues with using chrome and being able to log into the windows sites where it requires my windows login. Every time I try to log into my account via Chrome I get this error message saying there was a problem and to try back later. But I do not
    get this error with the MS Edge browser. I really like Chrome and have it set up with all my preferences perfectly.

1. Is anyone else having this problem with Chrome or another browser?

2. Would anyone know why this is happens with Chrome?

Bruce

Bruceneo, Dec 6, 2017
  3. ethanpapi Win User
    How do I make Chrome ny default browser?

hi, HELP,,,.,PLEASE

chrome browser,

I Keep Getting GOOGLE CHROME ISN'T YOUR DEFAULT BROWSER,

SO I TRIED TO MAKE IT MY DEFAULT, AND GET THE SAME ,

GOOGLE CHROME ISN'T YOUR DEFAULT BROWSER

CAN YOU TELL ME HOW DO I GET

GOOGLE CHROME FOR MY DEFAULT BROWSER,

THANK YOU

ENRIQUE

Moved from Community Participation Center

Original title: chrome browes

ethanpapi, Dec 6, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Might try to Reset Location in Settings, Privacy. Sometimes it's necessary to first turn off a feature then bring it back up. There's a number of other settings there.

Berton, Dec 6, 2017
  5. Toller Win User
    I don't see that. I find something about asking before giving the location, but nothing about resetting the location.

Toller, Dec 6, 2017
  6. torre Win User
    In the Privacy setting, check Default location and set.

Not sure, but if you are located in a very small town/area perhaps the location 30 miles away is the norm ?

torre, Dec 7, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    I didn't think of that, too used to having to go 40 miles, 78 miles, 115 miles or 170 miles for the larger stores such as Wal*Mart, BestBuy, Target, etc. As for the weather, we have a local airport with NOAA/NWS weather reporting and forecasts.

Berton, Dec 7, 2017
  8. Toller Win User

Okay, to be more specific... I am in Canandaigua NY. My ISP is located 40 miles away in Penn Yan NY. There is a Walmart and a Lowes a few miles from me. Walmart and Lowes default to their stores nearest Penn Yan, which are 30 miles away.
    The same thing happens to everything; google maps opens to a map of Penn Yan.

I have been through setting several times and don't see any way to change location.

Toller, Dec 7, 2017
  9. Berton Win User
    A similar situation occurred with a friend of mine using a satellite TV in a motor home. To get local/close by news and weather he had to lie to the service about where he was, usually used my address as our town does not have a local TV station. Might have to do something similar with your Zip code. But that may not work, maybe disabling the Ads feature in Settings will help.

Berton, Dec 7, 2017
  10. torre Win User
    I have been through setting several times and don't see any way to change location.

Did you try the Default location setting under Privacy ?

torre, Dec 7, 2017
  11. Toller Win User
    No I haven't because its not there.

Below is everything under "privacy".

How can I get my browser (chrome) to know where I really am? [​IMG]

and what you get when you click on show location

If there is a default location setting, I sure can't find it.

Toller, Dec 7, 2017
  12. Your geolocation is based on a variety of things such as GPS data, cell towers, nearby WiFi networks. If your PC doesn't have cellular connectivity and if Google doesn't have your local WiFi networks mapped then the best Google can do is use the location of your ISP.

The Chrome extension Manual Geolocation - Chrome Web Store can let you fake a location. I just tried it out quickly and it seems to work but some reviews say otherwise and it hasn't been updated in a while.

PolarNettles, Dec 7, 2017
  13. torre Win User

Settings/Privacy/Location (left column)/Default Location

torre, Dec 7, 2017
  14. Toller Win User
    That would be a solution if my "Location" looked like torre's, but unfortunately it looks like the one I posted. Perhaps the question is how to get it to add the "set default".

I tried the manual geo-thingy, but it didn't do anything useful.

Toller, Dec 7, 2017
  15. torre Win User
    torre, Dec 7, 2017
Thema:

1. How can I get my browser (chrome) to know where I really am? - Similar Threads - browser chrome where

2. how can my chrome browser work slow after i on my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can my chrome browser work slow after i on my computer: my computer working slow if i restart computer at morning and i use adsstra antiverus so my chorme browser did not work turely https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-my-chrome-browser-work-slow-after-i-on-my/4870f14f-675b-4a8e-8202-58c1016ce526
  3. how can my chrome browser work slow after i on my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can my chrome browser work slow after i on my computer: my computer working slow if i restart computer at morning and i use adsstra antiverus so my chorme browser did not work turely https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-my-chrome-browser-work-slow-after-i-on-my/4870f14f-675b-4a8e-8202-58c1016ce526
  4. Does anyone know where I can get a upc_r2_loader64 file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does anyone know where I can get a upc_r2_loader64 file?: I can't find any anywhere.- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-anyone-know-where-i-can-get-a-upcr2loader64/7dd1fae3-ba43-422c-a92d-d54d2a8c157a
  5. Google Chrome NOT Really Default Browser.

in Browsers and Email
    Google Chrome NOT Really Default Browser.: I have Google Chrome set as my Default Browser. However, if I goto Control Panel => Security and Maintenance => Change Security and Maintenance Settings, and click the How does Security and Maintenance check for problems? link, Microsoft Edge opens. Has it got ANYTHING to do...
  6. Where can I get this?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Where can I get this?: Hi I'm currently working on a project which was given to me by my school. I did the project in the online PowerPoint and downloaded it. When I opened it up with my PowerPoint offline app I have PowerPoint 2016, I saw that there was a change in font- I applied the font...
  7. can i use chrome as my browser

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    can i use chrome as my browser: are you still able to use Chrome browser with new download of windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-use-chrome-as-my-browser/927317ac-a88b-4283-8aa8-e0d20873e5f8
  8. I really need Chrome

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I really need Chrome: I'm a teacher in Canada. I got a lovely PC laptop for my birthday from my husband to replace my boat anchor only to find that Windows S mode won't allow me to download Chrome. As my school district functions on Chrome, I need it to access school and student work...to do...
  9. My server location is in Canada,but I am in the USA. How can I let the browsers know this?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My server location is in Canada,but I am in the USA. How can I let the browsers know this?: when I want to shop, I go to a site like www.Avenue.com, and it starts showing me merchandise with "CAD" prices instead of $ prices. I am *in* the US, a US citizen, but my computer think we are in Canada....
  10. how do i know if i am really speaking to Microsoft and not a scammer.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how do i know if i am really speaking to Microsoft and not a scammer.: I called a number to get help to fix computer. the number is 1-877-541-2448. how do i know if i am really speaking to Microsoft and not a scammer?...