Windows 10: How can I get my Dell Latitude E6420 laptop to upgrade to 1703

Discus and support How can I get my Dell Latitude E6420 laptop to upgrade to 1703 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Dell Latitude E6420 is not my daily PC but I do use reasonably frequently, especially when away from home. Currently on Win 10 1607, Anniversary... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tpriest, Oct 17, 2017.

1. tpriest Win User

How can I get my Dell Latitude E6420 laptop to upgrade to 1703

My Dell Latitude E6420 is not my daily PC but I do use reasonably frequently, especially when away from home. Currently on Win 10 1607, Anniversary Update.

Although, as far as I know, it's not blocking the Creator's Edition update, that update isn't coming down.

The AU applied cleanly with no problems. I'm wondering whether I can get the CE to apply in the same way. I really don't want to do a clean install.

Thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

:)

tpriest, Oct 17, 2017

2. Wifi Disconnection on Laptop

Hello,

My laptop is a Dell Latitude e6420. 2 weeks prior to the issue, I had upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

Yeasmin Sultana Begum, Oct 17, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Bluetooth Missing after my recent patch

first of all, thanks for replying.

My laptop model is Dell e6420 latitude. Yes it has a in-built bluetooth.

RatnakarKoli, Oct 17, 2017
  4. fireberd Win User

It could be (guessing) that its because it is an older PC and the hardware does not fully support the new version. Dell does not support Win 10 on this model. I've seen threads commenting about this. As noted my guess but could be valid.

fireberd, Oct 17, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    The way I upgrade is use the Media Creation Tool to make an ISO file. Then mount the ISO file and run setup.exe from it.
    Download Windows 10

or you can wait for it to push to your computer via Windows Update, which might be tomorrow, it might be 6 months from now, and sometimes never come.

Upgrading from the saved ISO file, though, has proven historically to be the most reliable method.

NavyLCDR, Oct 17, 2017
  6. tpriest Win User
    Thanks.

Does using the ISO file like this completely overwrite everything, or does it just do an in situ update?

tpriest, Oct 17, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    It just upgrades what you have. Let's you keep everything.

NavyLCDR, Oct 17, 2017
  8. fireberd Win User

To add on the update. Previous updates have caused my recording studio add-ons that require registration/activation to require reactivation. This time it wasn't required and probably that the updates now only update "what needs updating" and not a complete upgrade like was previously used.

fireberd, Oct 17, 2017
  9. CmmTch Win User
    I have two of those Dell Latitude 6420 laptops, mine is more of a spare and my wife's is used nearly everyday. They were refurbished units with Win7 Pro and have only been upgraded as Windows Update provides, (W10 Pro) both were on the 1703 CU, my wife checked for updates and hers installed 1709 today. Mine is presently is preparing to install the update, the download took an hour or so and was stuck at 93% for 20 minutes.

When the CU came out I waited to get the download, both of the 6420's were probably some of the last to be upgraded. We got it in late summer.

Dell says they don't support W10 in the Latitude 6420 but mine has been running it for a couple years, it could be the OS version. My desktop is W10 Home and I don't have the 1709 update on WU, but both laptops have W10 Pro versions and had 1709 on WU today.

CmmTch, Oct 18, 2017
  10. tpriest Win User
    Thanks for all the info.

Both my PCs, desktop & laptop, are running Windows 10 Pro, so I'd been hoping the laptop would update itself as readily as the desktop did.

So, looking at the Media Creation Tool pages raises some questions which, probably my own fault, I don't fully understand.

1) Under Using the tool to upgrade this PC to Windows 10It doesn't say anything about upgrading this PC from an earlier version of Win 10; neither does it say anything about creating an ISO, it just refers to options as to what to keep through the upgrade.

2) Under Using the tool to create installation media (...DVD or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PCit says to use these steps to install a new copy, perform a clean install, or reinstall Win 10. Nothing about using the installation media to upgrade this PC's Win 10.

So can I create the ISO file following 2) above and then upgrade the existing Win 10 installation keeping all the existing personal files and apps as in 1) above?

Sorry to be a nuisance.

tpriest, Oct 18, 2017
  11. tpriest Win User
    To update this thread. Having used Macrium Reflect to image the C: drive I let the upgrade go. After all the downloads and checks the actual upgrade took about 90 minutes, quite reasonable in my view. It actually upgraded to 1709, Build 16299.19.

Everything, that I've tested appears to run ok - with one exception. I'll post the problem with the Settings app in the Software & Apps section.

tpriest, Oct 20, 2017
  12. CmmTch Win User
    Good to hear you got it resolved @tpriest *Smile

As of today my other Dell, an E6400 W10 Pro, and my desktop W10 Home have both updated to CU 1709. For some reason my wife thought her E6420 did too, upon further review it didn't. She has an ASUS notebook and an E6420, neither of those has updated, we're going to wait for WU, shouldn't be any reason to manually upgrade. Microsoft seems to being trying to emulate Apple with it's updates, but they have a ways to go before they reach the point of installing an upgrade to the masses with little or no problems.

Something to keep in mind if you want to have a restore point, each upgrade version defaults that to "Off" I've been going to Control Panel > System > System protection > Configure button > Turn On system protection. Then I create a restore point, I know there are several programs to create and reinstall a system image, but using a restore point IMO is the quickest and least hassle way to go back to an earlier point in time.

Rep for updating thread with your outcome *Wink

CmmTch, Oct 21, 2017
  13. tpriest Win User

Good to hear Steve *Smile. Is the Windows Settings app working ok for you on 1709?

tpriest, Oct 21, 2017
  14. CmmTch Win User
    If you're talking about the entire application for settings (clicking on the little gear) then yes, mine is working. I haven't ever had an issue like that not working before.

CmmTch, Oct 21, 2017
  15. tpriest Win User
    Yes, that's what I mean. Even if I try to go into it by, for example, right-click the Task Bar and click Taskbar settings I get the same crash. I've never seen that problem before.

tpriest, Oct 21, 2017
Thema:

1. How can I get my Dell Latitude E6420 laptop to upgrade to 1703 - Similar Threads - Dell Latitude E6420

2. How can I fix my camera, in Windows 10 on a Dell Latitude E5550 laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I fix my camera, in Windows 10 on a Dell Latitude E5550 laptop: I end up having to delete the drivers then restart, every time. If I switch from photo to video it'll go back to flickering color bars. If I just go from using the computer otherwise then try to switch on camera/video, flickering color bars....
  3. How can I fix my camera, in Windows 10 on a Dell Latitude E5550 laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I fix my camera, in Windows 10 on a Dell Latitude E5550 laptop: I end up having to delete the drivers then restart, every time. If I switch from photo to video it'll go back to flickering color bars. If I just go from using the computer otherwise then try to switch on camera/video, flickering color bars....
  4. How can I fix my camera, in Windows 10 on a Dell Latitude E5550 laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How can i set fingerprint in my dell latitude e7240

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can i set fingerprint in my dell latitude e7240: [IMG]what is this?? Right bottom side?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-set-fingerprint-in-my-dell-latitude/74c6151e-eb5b-4906-a3c6-7e3bce0936dc
  6. How can i set fingerprint in my dell latitude e7240

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can i set fingerprint in my dell latitude e7240: Is my dell laptop has finderprint scanner.. If it has it how do i enable it..when intry these are displayed [IMG][IMG] How can i set fingerprint in my dell latitude e7240
  7. BSODs Dell Latitude E6420 after W-10 Pro V1903 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSODs Dell Latitude E6420 after W-10 Pro V1903 update: This is my wife's Latitude (yes it is mature, but works for what we need) and since the recent W-10 V1903 update it has been experiencing BSODs. No error banners, screen/system does freeze and powering off/on does allow the laptop to restart and no error messages or warning...
  8. Dell Latitude E6420 with IDT Audio on Windows 10 32bit and 64bit issues...

Dell Latitude E6420 with IDT Audio on Windows 10 32bit and 64bit issues...: Ive been trying to wrap my head around the issue Im having. I just bought a laptop, used, with Windows 7. I did fresh installs of Windows 10 32bit and 64bit dual boot... Both bit versions have an issue with the default audio driver not working, not even with the...
  9. Dell E6420

Dell E6420: My laptop has issues detecting the camera. I did a BIOS diagnosis and no issues. Dell told me that it may be a compatibility issue because my system has not been tested. it does not show up on devices either. They suggested installing Dell Webcam Central but...
  10. Microsoft Designer Mouse does not work with Dell Latitude e6420

Microsoft Designer Mouse does not work with Dell Latitude e6420: Has been using that Designer Mouse with my DELL XPS (2015 year) with no issues. However, I cannot pair with my DELL e6420, tried on Windows 10 and 7. In the same time I am able to pair successfully Apple Wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse with that e6420. Is it any way to...