Windows 10: How can I install w10 in uefi mode

Discus and support How can I install w10 in uefi mode in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys, I made a mess installing w10 in legacy bios mode, while I saw already running w8 in uefi mode. I'm actually on a w10 system with legacy bios... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ihackurmind, Jan 6, 2016.

1. How can I install w10 in uefi mode

Hi guys, I made a mess installing w10 in legacy bios mode, while I saw already running w8 in uefi mode.
    I'm actually on a w10 system with legacy bios mode.
    How can I install w10 in uefi mode, if bios won't start the installation of w10 using an usb with iso of w10 mounted in uefi gpt mode?
    Thank you

:)

ihackurmind, Jan 6, 2016
  2. Teddy2016 Win User

stuck on device driver error

Hi!

Your BIOS mode is set to UEFI. Your BIOS Version/Date is A01 2014. Dell should have an update for your bios. But changing the BIOS Mode to Legacy may help with the error.

To enter W10 boot option hold shift down while clicking restart. This is installed to UEFI chip by Windows. I do not use UEFI mode because of driver issues. So I do not know my way around W10 boot option.

To disable UEFI mode, fast start has to be disabled so you can enter the dell bios setup with F2 or Del.

Teddy2016, Jan 6, 2016
  3. Teddy2016 Win User
    stuck on device driver error

Hi!

No I have no more suggestions, It was a quick fix for for my driver issue. I do not know weather you should downgrade to W8. But here is a how to on W10 boot options.

http://www.howtogeek.com/126016/three-ways-to-access-the-windows-8-boot-options-menu/

Maybe you can find a option in W10 boot option. I have had no luck in UEFI mode. I actually changed the OS type to "W7 or other" and that took it out of UEFI mode. But my board is W8 supported. I do think if you find the driver error, you will like W10.

Teddy2016, Jan 6, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

How can I install w10 in uefi mode

There is a way you can do this by creating a system image of your legacy bios mode and restoring it to a UEFI/GPT mode. The procedure is well documented in Macrium Reflect which is a free tool for making system image backups and often recommended on this forum.

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/pag...pageId=1998887

philc43, Jan 6, 2016
  5. topgundcp Win User
    I am amazed that Macrium put this article in their knowledge base. With this procedure, Windows will work and boot using UEFI mode. However, the partition scheme is incorrect.

A normal, fresh install of Windows 10 will have 4 partitions, not 3:
    • 450MB Recovery partition (Tools for trouble shooting, Reset, Refresh, diagnistics ...)
    • 100MB EFI FAT32 System partition (Boot code. Without it, Windows won't boot)
    • 16MB MSR (Microsoft Reserved partition for use with GPT disk type)
    • C Drive

As you can see. #1 was ommited by the article. That means there's no way to create a Recovery disk. In addtition, The sizes of EFI and MSR partitions are wrong.

To get the correct partition scheme. Follow the procedure in this link:
    Solved Help With Partition Management - Windows 10 Forums

topgundcp, Jan 6, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Sounds like you usb stick is not correctly created, or pc is not set to eufi mode.

You have to download iso, and burn to usb stick, using rufus specifically selecting it is for a gpt eufi install (loasds of web guides).

Then you have to make sure bios is set to eufi mode, and boot from usb stick, and select custom install, deleting all partitions first.

cereberus, Jan 7, 2016
  7. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Jan 7, 2016
  8. Steve C Win User

Steve C, Jan 7, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    Normally I would agree but some people have found if they create a usb stick that way on a legacy bios machine, it does not work properly when you switch pc to eufi mode and try a eufi install.

That is why I suggest RUFUS and GPT mode specifically here to ensure that is not an iissue.

cereberus, Jan 7, 2016
  10. Nipax Win User
    Do you know how to choose the Legacy BIOS or UEFI boot mode?

Depending how the Windows install media is booted (Legacy BIOS or UEFI) Windows creates either MBR or GPT partition table on the SSD/HDD.

- The non-UEFI option will boot the Windows install media in the Legacy BIOS mode and Windows Setup will create the MBR partition table automatically.
    - The UEFI option will boot the Windows install media in the UEFI mode and Windows Setup will create the GPT partition table automatically.

Here are two examples of the one-time boot menu.

How can I install w10 in uefi mode [​IMG]

How can I install w10 in uefi mode [​IMG]

Nipax, Jan 7, 2016
  11. T0mmy1977 Win User
    I had problems installing Win 10 from a USB stick until I changed the SATA option from AHCI to ATA.

T0mmy1977, Jan 8, 2016
  12. essenbe Win User
    Try it again in AHCI, just disconnect all drives you are not installing Windows on before you start up. What error did you receive?

essenbe, Jan 8, 2016
  13. T0mmy1977 Win User

On the disk selection screen it was something like "...could not find a partition...". I have a internal SSD for the OS, an HDD for data, and the install USB stick attached at the time of installation.

T0mmy1977, Jan 8, 2016
  14. essenbe Win User
    Disconnect the Data drive, so the installer has only 1 option. If the SSD shows unallocated, in advanced options click 'NEW" and the installer should create the required partitions. If you are showing any partitions on the SSD, in advanced options delete all partitions until it says unallocated, then click New. See if this helps

[youtube]aaBeuQvLJDA[/youtube]

essenbe, Jan 8, 2016
  15. Berk Win User
    Hi, I hate to the new guy splitting hairs, but as far as I can tell the sizes of the recovery, EFI boot and MSR partitions are non critical, provided they are large enough. Although I would recommend the standard set-up for single OS systems.

• The partition order seems to be the critical issue.
    • Diskpart (convert gpt command) and Windows Disk Management users need to be aware that these tools always silently create an unnecessary 128MB MSR partition when a fresh GPT disk is initialised.
    • I would treat 450MB, 100MB and 16MB as the absolute minimum recommended as this is how Windows 10 installer creates them.
    • For multi-boot users it may be advisable to make that EFI boot partition larger, say 150MB-200MB*
    *I have set up my system with a larger EFI and neither Windows 7 nor Windows 10 installers complained. Everything boots correctly, although I have an issue with Windows 10 reporting nonsense in settings -> storage (I doubt it's due to the EFI partition size, but in the interests of full disclosure I ought to say my system is not yet perfect)

• There is apparently no need to deviate from 16MB for the MSR partition regardless of disk capacity, even though other sizes will work. I have read that this partition is only used by BitLocker, although I would like to find some confirmation.
    I would however like to know how the Recovery partition is used by multi-boot systems? i.e. will it be used by Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 if they are installed alongside Windows 10? in which case is it prudent to make a >900MB or greater recovery partition?

Thema:

1. How can I install w10 in uefi mode - Similar Threads - install w10 uefi

2. How can I schedule my W10 machine to go in to Sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I schedule my W10 machine to go in to Sleep mode?: I would like to be able to double click on a desktop icon that does the following: Puts the W10 machine in to sleep mode, at a certain time of the day. If anyone can tell me how to do this, I'd be really grateful. Thanks a lot. (My W10 version number is 2004.) 166992
  3. Can i install w10 on a empty hdd?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can i install w10 on a empty hdd?: if i have an empty drive conected to a pc with a drive with w10 can i install another w10 to the empty drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-install-w10-on-a-empty-hdd/8f418db4-2ad3-46ff-b598-7e57d3055ac7
  4. Clean install in UEFI mode

Clean install in UEFI mode: Hi I am about to receive the bits to upgrade my husbands PC from a simple desktop machine to what the PC Gamer site assures me is a high end gaming machine. However, in the process I want to take the opportunity of also upgrading to a UEFI system from MBR but I'm a little...
  5. How can I properly switch from Legacy to UEFI mode

How can I properly switch from Legacy to UEFI mode: I have been struggling a little bit while trying to switch from legacy to UEFI boot mode and needed help about it. I've tried mbr2gpt but I got errors which were related to disk layoutpossibly because I have more than 3 primary partitions [ATTACH] I also had dual boot...
  6. Problems with installing Windows 10 in UEFI mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problems with installing Windows 10 in UEFI mode: Hi! I've been using this guide to install Windows, but my PC can't detect USB in UEFI mode, only in Legacy. What should I do? I've already tried rewriting the USB. submitted by /u/namiiniuk [link] [comments]...
  7. Can Not Install W10 in UEFI Mode

Can Not Install W10 in UEFI Mode: Hello, This is my first post here. Just joined TenForums. I`m having a problem trying to install W10 in UEFI mode. It keeps installing in Legacy mode. Is there a setting that needs to be changed in the UEFI BIOS? Also it takes too long for the PC to finish POST. It takes...
  8. Can't install w10 update, UEFI error?

Can't install w10 update, UEFI error?: So, I have Windows 10 already installed on my PC. I upgraded it last Summer from Windows 7 for free. I've been trying to update it for the past 6 weeks but keep getting the error: "Windows 10 couldn't be installed. Windows can't be installed because this PC has an...
  9. Install Windows 10 in Uefi Mode.

Install Windows 10 in Uefi Mode.: I am wondering if I can install windows 10 creator's update on my new hp laptop, I have it on usb, in uefi mode. The reason I ask is that my older laptop, also an hp did not allow me to install via eufi, but in legacy only. I think it has something to do with oem windows...
  10. W10 install in UEFI mode

W10 install in UEFI mode: When I receive the Windows 10 download on July 29th or whenever they send it to me, I want to install it in UEFI mode. I am using Windows 8.1 64 bit currently and it is installed in BIOS mode. (Long story, I've never been willing to clean install after I had W8.1 up and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i cant install w 1903 for eufi error