Windows 10: How can I keep Win10 running 24/7?

Discus and support How can I keep Win10 running 24/7? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; On my home network I have a 'basic' machine running Novosoft HandyBackUp. This is left unattended with HandyBackUp, Windows Explorer & Task Manager... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by terrygarland87, Jul 4, 2016.

1. How can I keep Win10 running 24/7?

On my home network I have a 'basic' machine running Novosoft HandyBackUp.
    This is left unattended with HandyBackUp, Windows Explorer & Task Manager windows open.
    The backup program runs at 3am each morning - in theory.
    On Win7 I had to disable Microsoft updates to stop those rebooting the machine. But the incessant Win10 'reminders' kept coming through and logging out the machine. I tried updating a laptop and that seemed to run well on Win10 so bit the bullet and upgraded the backup machine.
    Win10 though does not seem to allow 24/7 operation - yes I have set power functions to always on - and logs out the programs and user which is a fat lot of use for a backup system.
    Any ideas or do I need to go to a sensible system like Linux that will do as I say not what some techie in Redmond thinks is a good ruse!

:)

terrygarland87, Jul 4, 2016
  2. mbulger Win User

Why can't I define active hours later than 17:00?

You can turn off automatic updates. You have to be running Win10 Pro though. Updates can be turned off with the
    group policy editor. See this
    thread

I have a computer I run 24 hours to do wireless communications testing. I turned off updates to keep Windows from ruining my test results.

mbulger, Jul 4, 2016
  3. Papablue Win User
    #my pc with win 10 downloaded and still updating

Yesterday my asus with win10 downloaded security patch or patches. It took long time then started install. Now at 24 hours and still running.

How long will it run or is there way to stop since pc is unusable!!!!!

Papablue, Jul 4, 2016
  4. TrustMe Win User

How can I keep Win10 running 24/7?

TrustMe, Jul 4, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    I don't see where it's necessary to have the Internet available in that situation so I'd probably disconnect the cable from the Modem, shouldn't have any effect on the Network running through the Router. But of course, that would affect any other computers needing the Internet but maybe running the backup during the night not be a problem

Berton, Jul 4, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    physically removing the ethernet cord every day is going to break something. Set the Backup earlier towards midnight once a week, vs. every single night. Have it wake the machine up, then put it back to sleep.

Doing a daily backup is not going to save much from any changes, since it is very little that will change if not using say a Database or Spreadsheet.

I have my NAS set up to do a nightly backup, because the NAS is a little constrained on how you can set the backup periods for. Those backups are around 384 kb, which is mostly just temp stuff.

bro67, Jul 5, 2016
  7. Agreed - anyway can't take separate the one machine as it is connected via an 8-port switch which then has the link to the router and internet. I do an incremental backup daily - in case the wife deletes something and wants it back the next day [I would never do that would I !!] and a full back up once a week. Things are really looking odd since I upped to Win10 as the incremental is larger than the full the last time they were run [1.4Mb vs. 1.3Mb]. Will try TrustMe 's suggestion of disabling the service and see how that goes.

terrygarland87, Jul 7, 2016
  8. How can I keep Win10 running 24/7?

Giving up - Win10 [Home version anyway] is not up to the job.
    I have stopped/disabled every service I could think of but it still logged out and re-booted at 6am today, in the event logs it had 185 events in the past 12 hours many of which were Error and some Critical including numerous System login failures, attempts to start print spooler [there are no printers attached!] and failed access notifications.
    Win 10 seems to have totally changed the access permissions on all my machines so can no longer access data - luckily most is on a NAS box which runs on Linux.
    I'm changing backup machine to run Ubuntu and then just back up the NAS box, Win 10 cannot then muck anything else up. Shame that the software we run is only available on Windows [or Apple] otherwise would change all to Linux!

terrygarland87, Jul 9, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    Try Zentyal, Nethserver, or even use a Raspberry Pi 3, with the boot loader on the SD card and the OS on a SSD. I have a Synology DIS-216+II with two 1TB Seagate Constellation drives and a 4TB external eSATA Fantom drive. Everything goes on the Fantom for backups, etc, the other two drives are for stuff that I use the unit for a Server and for SQL.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How can I keep Win10 running 24/7?

1. How can I keep Win10 running 24/7? - Similar Threads - keep Win10 running

2. Can Windows Defender be made to scan 24/7?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Windows Defender be made to scan 24/7?: Hello. I host game servers for Counter-Strike on my computer. This means there is a constant exchange of files/temporal files and logs between my computer the folders with game resources and the computers of the players who connect to my servers. Recently, I got a virus from...
  3. Can Windows Defender be made to scan 24/7?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can Windows Defender be made to scan 24/7?: Hello. I host game servers for Counter-Strike on my computer. This means there is a constant exchange of files/temporal files and logs between my computer the folders with game resources and the computers of the players who connect to my servers. Recently, I got a virus from...
  4. Can Windows Defender be made to scan 24/7?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Is it bad to leave my laptop running 24/7?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it bad to leave my laptop running 24/7?: So, I wanted to host my own Minecraft server but I can't afford a service like Google Cloud, Apex Hosting, Shockbyte, etc. And when I found out about Ngrok, I was like "Sweet, now the only obstacle in my way is that I would need to keep my laptop running 24/7". But.... I'm...
  6. What should I keep in mind when running a remote pc 24/7?

What should I keep in mind when running a remote pc 24/7?: Hello, I'm planning on running my desktop 24/7 remotely for the next 6 months. I have already adjusted the powerplant so that it won't go to sleep and so the CPU can idle at 5%. Is there anything else I should do to ensure that the pc is always online and available after an...
  7. How to record 24/7 microphone audio?

How to record 24/7 microphone audio?: Hi I'd like to record the audio from my microphone 24/7 in part of 1 hour. I'd drop all the files on my NAS so I'd have a lot of storage. I did some reasearch on Internet but I can't find a way to mount a setup so that at bootup, the computer starts recording audio non...
  8. How do I keep my display on 24/7

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How do I keep my display on 24/7: I have a computer that people at work need to be able to look at anytime of the day without having to log in. This means I need keep my display on 100% of the time. I have messed with every option I can think of but it still ends up at the lock screen requiring my password. I...
  9. Can I work this system 24/7 ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I work this system 24/7 ?: Hello. I am a new member of your forum and i would like to ask you a simple question. Can I leave my pc on 24/7? My hardware consists of an AMD A6 6400K underclock at 2.5GHz, a corsair 450w PSU, a hard drive of 1TB western digital green and an ASROCK FM2A58+ BTC motherboard....
  10. Bot Automation - How To Run In Separate Instance 24/7?

in Windows 10 Support
    Bot Automation - How To Run In Separate Instance 24/7?: Hi Everyone, I'm using Pulover's Macro Creator to automate some mundane tasks, for this program to work the GUI needs to stay active. Now I'm using 2 VPSes to keep it fully automated. VPS1 connects to VPS2, on 2 is Pulover's running. I did not find a way to keep one VPS...