Windows 10: How can I log processes/sevices that are causing slow shutdown?

Discus and support How can I log processes/sevices that are causing slow shutdown? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Ever since the 1709 update a week or two back my PC is much slower to shutdown than with the previous version. Is there anyway I can log or check what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Sam Vimes, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Sam Vimes Win User

How can I log processes/sevices that are causing slow shutdown?

Ever since the 1709 update a week or two back my PC is much slower to shutdown than with the previous version. Is there anyway I can log or check what processes or services may be causing this?

Thanks

:)

Sam Vimes, Feb 15, 2018

2. slow log in

whenever I boot up, after entering the password the log in process is slow.. How to make it fast???????

FantomSingam, Feb 15, 2018
  3. Allan Mej Win User
    Processing extremely slow with Windows 10, with crashes when playing facebook games. Event log keeps giving error warnings about Windows 10.

Hi,

This problem is caused by the hardwares on your PC. Either your processor is slow or your graphics card is slow. Regarding the slow processing, kindly contact your device's manufacturer. And regarding event log warnings, kindly give us the specific error
    message that you receive.

We'll be looking forward for your reply.

Regards.

Allan Mej, Feb 15, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Try this TenForums tutorial, please: Read Shutdown Logs in Event Viewer. It may tell/show you just what you need. If not, post again to this thread and we can take things further.
    HTH and best wishes,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 15, 2018
  5. Sam Vimes Win User
    Thanks Ed, I'll give that a try.

Sam Vimes, Feb 15, 2018
  6. EdTittel Win User
    You're welcome. Hope it helps you get things sorted out.
    Best wishes,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 15, 2018
  7. Sam Vimes Win User
    Hi Ed.....

I took a look at the event viewer as suggested and all it showed was that the event log was stopped and that I'd started a shutdown.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Sam Vimes, Feb 16, 2018
  8. AndreTen Win User

Hi Sam.

You can turn on Verbosestatus in Registry editor. It will show what's system doing while shutting down or starting up:

I found instructions here : makeuseof.com | windows-taking-forever-shut-try/

Now, in the right-side pane of the window, you may see an entry called VerboseStatus. If you see it, right-click it and then click Modify, and change its value to 1. If you do not see it, right-click an empty portion of the pane, go to New, and then DWORD (32-bit) Value. Create an entry called VerboseStatus and then set its status to 1. [/quote]

AndreTen, Feb 16, 2018
  9. Sam Vimes Win User
    Thanks Andre.....

I'm going off line for a few days but I'll try that when I get back.

Sam Vimes, Feb 17, 2018
  10. AndreTen Win User
    Hope it'll help. Don't forget to turn it off afterwards. I found out it add few seconds to shutdown boot time.

AndreTen, Feb 17, 2018
  11. EdTittel Win User
    Yes, it will slow things down slightly. It will also record large log files. That's fine while you're troubleshooting. But as Andre said, you'll want to turn it off when you're finished with it, to keep the no-longer-necessary consumption of system resources to a minimum.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 17, 2018
  12. Sam Vimes Win User
    Back in Mission Control and I've edited the Registry as suggested. When I power down all I see is the Spinning Dots and a text line flashes up but its gone before I can read it. What I can't locate is any log file it may have created so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sam Vimes, Feb 28, 2018
  13. zinou Win User

Hi Sam,
    The more indicated tool to use for troubleshooting this kind of performance issues is Windows Performance Toolkit. It records all events happening during the shutdown process;
    Here is what you have to do to record a trace;

• Download and Install windows Performance Toolkit Download and install the Windows ADK | Microsoft Docs . Choose the package corresponding to your Windows version.
    • Record a trace using Windows Performance Recorder using these options: JustPaste.it - Share Text & Images the Easy Way
    • When you are prompted to choose where to save the trace file, it's better to save it on an external storage (USB stick or Disk).
    • Compress the resulting file (Important)
    • Share it through Dropbox, google drive or any other file sharing platform.

I'll analyze your trace file and give you a feedback.

zinou, Feb 28, 2018
  14. chrismine Win User
    I had a similar problem. Disabling cleaning Page File at shutdown fixed it.

chrismine, Feb 28, 2018
  15. Sam Vimes Win User
    Zinou.... thanks I'll give that and try and get back to you. It may take a little while as the real work gets in the way.

Chris.....
    Could you explain how, please?

Sam Vimes, Feb 28, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I log processes/sevices that are causing slow shutdown? - Similar Threads - log processes sevices

2. windows sevice can not be started why?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows sevice can not be started why?: At window starting , Window Service tab automatically start, when I try to close its failure. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-sevice-can-not-be-started-why/72525fce-9677-4033-a287-abea70a39e0e
  3. windows sevice can not be started why?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows sevice can not be started why?: At window starting , Window Service tab automatically start, when I try to close its failure. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-sevice-can-not-be-started-why/72525fce-9677-4033-a287-abea70a39e0e
  4. slow shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    slow shutdown: just happened today it took me 10 mins to shutdown idk what I did Im just playing games when i had enough i closed my pc it took me 10 mins to shutdown https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-shutdown/0c4677be-7179-41d0-9584-4457d8c88f95
  5. Slow shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow shutdown: I've recently upgraded to the 2004 build and since doing so everthing is fine except when i shutdown, before i didnt even have time to reach out to turn the monitor off , now it seems to take quite a while, I've done a Google search for the problem, and tried what was...
  6. laptop restart and shutdown slow process

laptop restart and shutdown slow process: its taking lot of time for shutting down and restarting my laptop, screen gets off and still power button is showing on . almost it takes 1-2 minutes to shut down and restart...
  7. Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart: Event log shows windows update causing a restart: The process C:\Windows\System32\usocoreworker.exe MILESTONE-JB has initiated the restart of computer MILESTONE-JB on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Service pack Planned Reason...
  8. Slow Shutdown Process

Slow Shutdown Process: hello i recently upgraded to a new motherboard and CPU alongside with new memory. motherboard im currently using right now is Asrock B450m Pro4. ps. its a new clean install of windows october update 1809. the problem here is, when i click Shutdown button in windows, like...
  9. Slow Shutdown Process

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow Shutdown Process: hello i recently upgraded to a new motherboard and CPU alongside with new memory. motherboard im currently using right now is Asrock B450m Pro4. ps. its a new clean install of windows october update 1809. the problem here is, when i click Shutdown button in windows, like...
  10. Shutdown/startup process logging

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown/startup process logging: Does anyone know of a comprehensive guide to what should be recorded as a result of a default shutdown/startup sequence, i.e. what normal events/event IDs should I see in Event Viewer with fast startup enabled as opposed to any different events/event IDs recorded if fast...