Windows 10: How can I make the num lock stay on?

Discus and support How can I make the num lock stay on? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been searching all over for an answer to this question. I looked in to one forum that showed changes to the Registry. I tried it, but it didn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bamagull, Jul 31, 2015.

1. danstra1 Win User

How can I make the num lock stay on?

I've been searching all over for an answer to this question. I looked in to one forum that showed changes to the Registry. I tried it, but it didn't work. Then I thought to search the rest of the registry for the same key. I found three additional registry keys of the same name:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Control Panel\Keyboard

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Control Panel\Keyboard

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2811650670-4092972000-2562370483-1001\Control Panel\Keyboard

I changed all of the following key values to 80000002 and it worked. For those who don't know much about editing the registry, PLEASE BE CAREFUL.

Dan

danstra1, May 7, 2016

2. Changing the registry values that you suggested, danstra1, shouldn't do anything drastic at all, just go in, do that and get out. Unfortunately this is only a temporary fix, because as soon as my screensaver comes on, or my computer goes to sleep and wakes back up, num lock is back off again, right when I need it to be on to put my PIN in! Funny thing is sometimes it tricks me and lets me type the first number in of my PIN before turning num lock after it 'realises' that it's not supposed to be on.

manfrommars, May 12, 2016
  3. Graulges Win User
    I'm still having this problem as well. All the fixes seem to temporary so now I've just changed my behaviour for entering my PIN.

Graulges, May 12, 2016
  4. Fromjim Win User

I see that this is an "old thread" so I'm hoping the issue of shutting off Num Lock has been resolved, I like most have tried all that was suggested without success, if there is an answer please advise me where it is. Unlike most my problem has started around
    January 25, 2017

Thanks
    God bless

PS. I am using Windows 10 with all updates, browser is Firefox 51.0.1 up to date

Fromjim, Feb 3, 2017
  5. Fromjim Win User
    I can see that there probably isn't a solution to the Num Lock problem, or at least for some of us, I hope Microsoft will fix this in one of their upgrades. If someone knows something I don't know and how to solve this problem I hope they will post information here or a link we can follow.
    Thanks
    God bless

Fromjim, Feb 6, 2017
  6. mrgeek Win User
    This fixed for me. Navigate to & highlight -
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard

In R panel, highlight InitialKeyboardIndicators r-click to Modify, as follows -
    2147483650 = enable
    2147483648 = disable

Turn OFF fast startup
    Here's how- Control Panel\System and Security\Power Options\(L column) Change what the power button does"Change settings that are currently unavailable" then untick Turn on fast startup (recommended) and restart. If fast startup is enabled, the reg edit will not stick. Others report otherwise but this did it for me and is quick to test and reset, if it doesn't work. PS; If you re-enable fast startup, hibernation is required, if you disabled it. Good Luck

mrgeek, Feb 6, 2017
  7. Steve C Win User
    That solution worked on my laptop & desktop PCs a while ago.

Steve C, Feb 7, 2017
  8. Fromjim Win User

Trying it, let you know later.

Thanks
    God bless

Fromjim, Feb 7, 2017
  9. Fromjim Win User
    Well that's the first thing that kept the num lock on after a shutdown, if this continues I'll be happy, I'll let you know in a few days.

Thank you
    God bless

Fromjim, Feb 7, 2017
  10. mrgeek Win User
    Happy accident. I had tried the reg edit a few times over past year and gave up. I had a Hibernation issue which I then disabled and of course, turned off fast startup, as well. I saw yet another thread on this and tried it again. Lo and behold, the num lock reg edit, along with a couple others, ALL stuck finally ! Good Luck

mrgeek, Feb 7, 2017
  11. Fromjim Win User
    Now if I can find a forum that can solve my problem with making round corners on photos I want to use for icons, I even bought several photo editing programs, none could do so with out having a white square background showing behind the new photo that had an image with round corners but sitting on a square background, hope I don't get blasted for giving my thoughts, but again I would like to thank Mrgeek

Fromjim, Feb 7, 2017
  12. mrgeek Win User
    mrgeek, Feb 7, 2017
  13. Fromjim Win User

I tried that site a few days age, my computer has been cleaned by Windows Defender, the first to report that I was infected with Malware, also by Malwarebites, Spy Bot , and a few more that monitor my computer, thanks for trying, but beware.

Fromjim, Feb 8, 2017
  14. bmedicky Win User
    Like many others, I've had problems configuring a new PC to keep NumLock on. My problem, however, is not having it on for the login screen: that part's fine. Instead, NumLock switches off (!) as soon as any user logs in. The Administrator account is password-protected, but the other two local accounts just log in with a click (no password).

I tried all the given solutions (changing registry keys and disabling fastboot) and nothing would stick until I tried one simple thing. I logged into each account, immediately pressed NumLock to turn it on, then immediately restarted the computer. After doing this once for each account, NumLock appears to stay on after logging in. I've tried logging into each account repeatedly and so far all is good.

Incidentally, the PC BIOS has a NumLock on/off setting. This trick works regardless of how that is set (in fact, it's now off in the BIOS, but that doesn't seem to matter).

It's possible that NumLock status is somehow stored as part of the user profile. In fact, an earlier post links to a fairly technical article (Why does my Numlock key keep resetting?) which says "Numlock needs to be controlled on a per user, per profile basis."

Whether my solution by itself is the correct one, or whether the registry hacks and fastboot disabling are required along with what I've described, I won't hazard a guess. But try it if nothing else works.

bmedicky, Feb 10, 2017
  15. wjay Win User
    Long time since the last post on this subject and the problem seeemed to be solved with registry change (initialkeyboardindicators to 2) and turn off fast startup in power settings . However I have had to reinstall windows completely with version 1607 and now that fix does not work . Number lock is now off again at every startup . Does anyone know if this has a fix or are us normal users to be ignored as usual ?

Thema:

1. How can I make the num lock stay on? - Similar Threads - num lock stay

2. how can i unable num lock?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can i unable num lock?: i tried to enable num lock button but i was unable to do so https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-unable-num-lock/f6822e88-57ae-4a74-8396-2b8a4b43c582
  3. how can i unable num lock?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can i unable num lock?: i tried to enable num lock button but i was unable to do so https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-unable-num-lock/f6822e88-57ae-4a74-8396-2b8a4b43c582
  4. Num lock

in Windows 10 Customization
    Num lock: bios numlock is on, registry in default user is set to 2 as well as specific users, as they look date formatted i dont think it matters, but they were all 0 so i changed them all num lock turns off every time i log in. why doesn't microsoft listen to the bios setting, or...
  5. How can I turn off the Caps Lock and Num Lock overlay?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I turn off the Caps Lock and Num Lock overlay?: When I toggle caps lock and num lock there is a notification on my screen. How do I turn this off? This doesn't work because I don't have a "Screen configurations" tab (maybe because I am using multiple monitors?). Thanks! submitted by /u/wafflewrestler [link] [comments]...
  6. num lock will not stay on

num lock will not stay on: num lock will not stay on, in the regstry the value is set at two? thanks re https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/num-lock-will-not-stay-on/2a8683d3-9d36-4b22-94c0-3d71c97bcc0a
  7. num lock

num lock: My num lock and the number keys on the far right of the keyboard do not work while on the internet. They work normally if not. I can not use the keys to include them in an email. Need some help. By the way the number keys on the top of the keyboard work in both formats....
  8. Num Lock

Num Lock: Why can't WINDOWS include a setting so that non-gamers can choose to have Num Lock permanently ON unless the keyboard key is depressed. I've tried several 'fixes' but none work and Num Lock comes up OFF every start-up and sometimes goes off randomly during normal use. My PC...
  9. Num Lock

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Num Lock: When I restart my computer the num lock is disabled. How do I keep it on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start-windows_8/num-lock/e59ee399-5c71-4de8-8f07-44744b9ee600
  10. Num lock

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Num lock: How do I get NUM LOCK OFF recognized for numbers to print? Characters will not register. 61221