Windows 10: How can I prevent an app from re-creating its Start Menu entry?

Discus and support How can I prevent an app from re-creating its Start Menu entry? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use Bitdefender Free Antivirus. I really do not want to see it's listing in my Start menu, "Bitdefender Antivirus Free". I am able to delete the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Pretty Pixel, Jul 8, 2018.

1. How can I prevent an app from re-creating its Start Menu entry?

I use Bitdefender Free Antivirus. I really do not want to see it's listing in my Start menu, "Bitdefender Antivirus Free". I am able to delete the Start Menu app shortcut, but after restarting my PC it appears again. Is there a way I can prevent it from being re-created? Thanks in advance.

:)

Pretty Pixel, Jul 8, 2018
  2. happykins Win User

Start menu "all apps" not showing all apps (<500 entries)

I did a clean install of Windows 10 last night on a brand new hard drive (same product key I had on my old hard drive, which was an upgrade from Windows 7, so *some* settings carried over from the cloud, like my desktop backgrounds surprisingly, but nothing
    else as far as I can tell, including having to create a new MS login PIN etc). I have installed maybe 10 things. One program (Origin) is not searchable in the start menu nor is it listed in the list of all apps in the start menu. I tried rebooting to see if
    it was fixable that way but it was not. The app was listed in the Windows folder "Settings > Apps & features" but there was no right-click menu in there to do anything useful (just uninstall option). The closest thing I could do to solving it was to right-click
    on the desktop to create a shortcut, navigate to the .exe file in Programs, create the shortcut, then right click the new shortcut to pin to start menu, which created a Tile and not an entry in the start menu list. It was still not searchable. I did a re-index
    of all files and programs (Control Panel > Indexing Options > Advanced) and it fixed the app being searchable, at least, but still no entry in the start menu list of apps/programs. Definitely not a ">512 apps" bug since I literally did a fresh install of Windows
    less than 24 hours ago and installed next to nothing (Chrome, oodles of drivers for peripherals, Steam, Origin, Battle.net, and a few games in those respective game launchers) and have not imported any new data to the new C drive (but I have 2 other hard drives
    with data on them).

happykins, Jul 8, 2018
  3. Start menu "all apps" not showing all apps (<500 entries)

Same issue here. Less than 512 entries, and yet some icons do not appear in the all app menu.

More precisely, it's the Foobar icon which is driving me mad. I've tried, I think, everything. Placing the icon in the Windows start menu folder, then in the user profile start menu folder, copying and renaming another icon and modifying its properties.
    None of these solutions worked. For other icons which I've created manually I had no problems.

I've noticed something, though: when a I put the infamous icon in one of the start menu folders, it appears for a moment in the "recently added" entries, then it disappears immediately, and when I try to create the same shortcut using a copy of another icon,
    the entry is listed as long as I don't rename the shortcut by adding the word "foobar". Really weird behavior....

eirinn1975, Jul 8, 2018
  4. How can I prevent an app from re-creating its Start Menu entry?

Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10  

Hi, @Brink:

My caffeine titer is low, so I must be missing some blatant, basic step to add a shortcut to my account's All Apps list in the Start menu (Option1).
    The new process both for creating shortcuts and for adding/removing items to the Win10 start menu has me flummoxed.
    Your tutorials are always "topnotch", so this must be a cockpit error on my part.

>I would like to follow the suggestion on page 1 of the wushowhide.diagcab tutorial to add a shortcut in All Apps for my account.

I have d/l the wushowhide.diagcab and saved it to my downloads folder.
    I have done Step 1 on Page 1 of THIS tutorial to navigate to the Start Menu Programs folder.
    But HOW do I actually complete Step 3 to create a shortcut and then add it to the Start Menu "All Apps"??

I think I need to first somehow create a shortcut for the .cab file and then add it to All Apps in the start menu???

Please advise.

Thanks!
    MM

P.S. I have been postponing the probably inevitable installation of Class Shell.
    I would rather not have to install a 3rd-party program to be able to perform basic Windows tasks.
    But this new workflow in Win10 for a basic functionality might force me to do it.
    Sigh.

MoxieMomma, Jul 8, 2018
Thema:

How can I prevent an app from re-creating its Start Menu entry?

1. How can I prevent an app from re-creating its Start Menu entry? - Similar Threads - prevent app creating

2. How can I create a folder in my start menu's app list?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I create a folder in my start menu's app list?: I like to organise my programs apps hierarchically which was easy on Windows 7 I've just moved to Windows 10. I've tried writing to %programdata%/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs and %appdata/..., and although I can see the folders that are there at the moment, adding...
  3. How can I create a folder in my start menu's app list?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I create a folder in my start menu's app list?: I like to organise my programs apps hierarchically which was easy on Windows 7. I've tried writing to %programdata%/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs and %appdata/..., and although I can see the folders that are there at the moment, adding another folder has no effect....
  4. How can I create a folder in my start menu's app list?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I create a folder in my start menu's app list?: I like to organise my programs apps hierarchically which was easy on Windows 7. I've tried writing to %programdata%/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs and %appdata/..., and although I can see the folders that are there at the moment, adding another folder has no effect....
  5. How can I erase start menu entries from the previous instalation after system restore?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I erase start menu entries from the previous instalation after system restore?: [ATTACH] I was getting this annoying BSoD out of the blue due to DRIVER_STATE_POWER_FAILURE, which was also making my the laptop and touchpad stop working, so I had to use System Restore. Although I chose to keep my files, what really mattered to me was my library of...
  6. How do I remove entry for Connect app from Windows 10 Start menu?

How do I remove entry for Connect app from Windows 10 Start menu?: I don't have any use for Connect app, which is not uninstallable by default. I realize because it's another useless system bundled app, removing it does not free much SSD space and potentially may cause problems with updates later. However I don't want to clutter my start...
  7. Holographic entry in Start menu

Holographic entry in Start menu: After updating to W10 1903, I noticed I have an entry for something called Holographic (below Xbox in picture). If I click the entry, nothing opens and a DistributedCom Error 10001 is logged in Events log. Searches for Holographic tell me this thing is related to Mixed...
  8. Start Menu Broken Apps List entry

Start Menu Broken Apps List entry: So I recently tried to uninstall the pre-installed version of Microsoft Office from my computer, and install Office 365 from my educational institution in its place. To my knowledge I did so successfully, with a small exception. I managed to remove most of the original...
  9. How can I prevent an app from re-creating its Start Menu entry?

How can I prevent an app from re-creating its Start Menu entry?: I use Bitdefender Free Antivirus. I really do not want to see it's listing in my Start menu, "Bitdefender Antivirus Free". I am able to delete the Start Menu app shortcut, but after restarting my PC it appears again. Is there a way I can prevent it from being re-created?...
  10. Duplicate Start Menu Entries

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate Start Menu Entries: After performing a "reset PC" last night and installing (some) of my programs, I noticed the start menu has duplicate entries for some of them. [img] In addition to Evernote, the other programs with double entries are Malwarebytes and ShareX. Both entries (for each...