Windows 10: How can I prevent laptop from going to sleep/hibernating?

Discus and support How can I prevent laptop from going to sleep/hibernating? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I need to run a program, unattended, for a number of hours. Despite attempts to keep the computer awake using a new Power Profile, after 15 minutes the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Mike2784, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Mike2784 Win User

How can I prevent laptop from going to sleep/hibernating?

I need to run a program, unattended, for a number of hours. Despite attempts to keep the computer awake using a new Power Profile, after 15 minutes the computer either goes to sleep or hibernates. What can I do to keep my computer awake? Why are settings ignored in the Power Profile?This occurs using a new Power Profile in which 'Turn off display' is set to 'Never' and 'Put the computer to sleep' is set to "Never." These settings are applied to both 'On battery' and 'Plugged in.' The problem persists after changing combinations of Settings/System/Power & Battery/Power mode settings

:)

Mike2784, Apr 22, 2024
  2. Mussels Win User

sleep or hibernate

sleep and hibernate are the same thing now.

S3 'sleep' has the entire system powered off, EXCEPT for system ram. a copy of ram is stored on the HDD when entering sleep.
    To answer the OP's question about the HDD taking wear and tear moving the laptop around - in sleep mode, it is powered off. ONLY system RAM has power in S3 sleep states.

Hibernate is when it loses power, it boots from the saved copy of ram. Often, this can load slower than a fresh boot since it has to load more from the HDD than usual.

so asking which you prefer... well, unless its a laptop you plan to store overnight or something, use sleep. its the same thing.

S3 sleep drains my laptop battery at only 2-3% an hour, so its not like its going to have a large impact on daily use.

Mussels, Apr 22, 2024
  3. Louie Del Win User
    Sleep,hibernate, and shutdown

Hi,

Usually, Sleep and Hibernate features are used to save power when using a computer. However, hibernate may not be available for all PCs as it was designed for laptops. Regarding your concern, since you’re trying to turn
    off or disable these features, you may follow the step below:

• To turn off Sleep:

Go to Settings > System > Power & sleep. Then, select
      Never from the drop-down list under the Sleep section.

How can I prevent laptop from going to sleep/hibernating? 584c0e8c-80cf-4e84-a18c-23b41220f8da?upload=true.png

• To disable Hibernate:
    • Type Command Prompt in the Search box from
      Start
    • Right-click on it, then select Run as administrator.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off and press
      Enter. Close the window.

We’re just here if you need further help.

Louie Del, Apr 22, 2024
  4. Yo_Wattup Win User

sleep or hibernate

I think you have sleep and hibernate confused... sleep just puts the computer in a low power state, making resuming the session faster... hibernate shuts down the whole computer and basically just saves whats in RAM to the hdd and loads it on next startup. IIRC...

Yo_Wattup, Apr 22, 2024
Thema:

1. How can I prevent laptop from going to sleep/hibernating? - Similar Threads - prevent laptop going

2. How can I prevent laptop from going to sleep/hibernating?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I prevent laptop from going to sleep/hibernating?: I need to run a program, unattended, for a number of hours. Despite attempts to keep the computer awake using a new Power Profile, after 15 minutes the computer either goes to sleep or hibernates. What can I do to keep my computer awake? Why are settings ignored in the Power...
  3. Preventing a computer from going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Preventing a computer from going to sleep: With everyone working remotely, I worked hard to make sure that our computers at the office never went to sleep. There used to be separate sections on the Power and Sleep settings allowing you to tell the computer to never go to sleep. Well an update must have gone out and...
  4. Prevent the hdmi from going to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Prevent the hdmi from going to sleep: HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-0686no I have two monitors connected. Another DVI port and another HDMI port.I want the DVI port to go to sleep and the HDMI port to stay active when the monitor is in sleep mode.I listen to music and watch movies through the HDMI port and...
  5. Laptops not switching from Sleep to Hibernation

Laptops not switching from Sleep to Hibernation: Title says it all basically. It started with my Gaming Laptop first (XMG Fusion 15). If i close the lid, the laptop should normally go to sleep for a certain amount of time and after that switch to hibernation due to saving battery. My other laptop (Dell Inspiron 13 5378) now...
  6. app preventing windows from going to sleep

app preventing windows from going to sleep: hi all, i use an app called ISPY to monitor cameras on my cctv dvr, now the problem is, this app is meant to be used as a server. I don't use it as such and would like to disable the ability it has to not let the PC sleep. is there a way I can disable "wake" for some app and...
  7. How to prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep

How to prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep: In Windows 10 version 1909, how do I prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep? I don't want my PC to wake from mouse and keyboard movements, but I am maybe okay for it to wake to install updates but if it does this, I'd like it to put itself back into...
  8. Preventing laptop from going to shutdown after putting it to sleep

Preventing laptop from going to shutdown after putting it to sleep: Preventing laptop from going to shutdown after putting it to sleep... My laptop has forgotten how to sleep https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/preventing-laptop-from-going-to-shutdown-after/8b921561-ada1-4c25-9764-508dfc615bab
  9. Preventing laptop from going to shutdown after putting it to sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    Preventing laptop from going to shutdown after putting it to sleep: when i make my laptop sleep and open it after some time it is already shut down, it never opens from where i left it what must i do?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/preventing-laptop-from-going-to-shutdown-after/d1107476-8cba-4411-a25a-ce29088e1cf4
  10. How to prevent external HDD from going to sleep?

How to prevent external HDD from going to sleep?: I have four external hard disks connected to my laptop either directly or through a USB hub. I have searched the issue that I'm asking about, but I have not found a definitive answer. The most common solution appears to be to use a program to write a small file to each hard...