Windows 10: How can i properly install WIndows 10 on a Freedos Laptop.?

Discus and support How can i properly install WIndows 10 on a Freedos Laptop.? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently got an HP G5 255, 4gb Ram and 500 Gb. It came with FREEDOS os and i have tried several methods to install the MICROSOFT 10 software but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gust1704, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Gust1704 Win User

How can i properly install WIndows 10 on a Freedos Laptop.?

I recently got an HP G5 255, 4gb Ram and 500 Gb. It came with FREEDOS os and i have tried several methods to install the MICROSOFT 10 software but nothing seems to work. I got an ISO image burnt trough both DVD and USB Flash drive, im doing it from an OS X software so i thought it might have to do with the compatibility. I switched the USB comp to MS.Dos (FAT) but the HP Laptop just doesnt read it. I also arranged the boot start up preferences so that legacy is activated and so that , respectively, both USB and Internal cd/dvd rom were first in priorities . Sometimes in BIOS setup it does recognize the drive but when i hit enter to do start up it just goes back to Freedoos startup menu (Hp backing image with only two options: FREEDos Setup and some HP Documents that came with the laptop). I need help with this, i have literally tried everything withing my basic knowledge. Thanks in advance.

:)

Gust1704, Dec 22, 2016

2. Windows 10 cannot be installed to this disk.

I have got part way through the installation process and I received this message ..

"Windows 10 cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GP disks."

This is a new install onto a new laptop with only FreeDos.

Can anyone tell me how to get past this message.

Many thanks

Robertynwa, Dec 22, 2016
  3. metuzm Win User
    I have retail windows 8.1 pro. I wanna upgrade to windows 10 pro.

* Original title: windows 10 upgrade

hi i wanna ask something about upgrade windows 10 i have pc and its 2 old and i have retail windows 8.1 pro .i wanna upgrade to windows 10 pro . but i am thinking buy a new freedos pc after september what will be then can i use my windows 10 key on new
    freedos pc

metuzm, Dec 22, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Dec 22, 2016
  5. bobkn Win User
    At a guess, you haven't made a bootable DVD or USB drive so far.

The tutorials for doing it:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

are based on doing it from a Windows PC. I have no experience doing it from an OS X Mac. I doubt that the Media Creation Tool can be run from a web browser on a Mac, but it might be worth a try.

I usually do it a little differently, though. I use the command line utility Diskpart to prepare a bootable Fat32 USB drive, and simply copy the contents of the .ISO to it. Diskpart is a little dangerous because it's possible to remove the wrong partition, but with reasonable care, it works well. (And avoids using third-party software like Rufus.)

Perhaps it'd be easiest if you can get access to a Windows PC. It may well be possible to do it on a Mac, but I can't say how.

bobkn, Dec 22, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    Berton, Dec 22, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Why not just use the Windows 10 installation flash drive or DVD that has to be created anyway to both wipe the hard drive and install Windows?

NavyLCDR, Dec 22, 2016
  8. Avocado Win User

Avocado, Dec 22, 2016
  9. *Ditto If it will do the job, why not just do it that way? It's quicker and less complicated than using a third party program. I haven't run into a situation yet that it wouldn't let me wipe the drive completely blank so its all unallocated.

alphanumeric, Dec 23, 2016
  10. Gust1704 Win User
    Hey everyone, thanks for your help just giving you a head´s up on how i managed to do it. For the burning process of the ISO image on MAC OSX there is an issue, for yosemite (and older soft) wich i have due to having a late 2010 MAC Boot camp does not let you direct burn from iso image on the disk (USB), it can be done trough the terminal by enabling the option but since i am a standar user with basic knowledge i didn´t want to get into it. After seeing a bunch of complicated videos and forum threads the solution was easier and less complex. The problem was that, since i did not had the boot camp option, i downloaded a RUFUS-like app for mac that let´s you do the same (Etcher), this app modified the format of the USB, making it unreadable for the FREEdos, also the ISO that Windows official site offers for download is corrupted (this can be seen on several forums on the web). In short, what i did is simply format the USB to MS-Dos and , listen well because i saw several people saying that it doesn´t work that way, but for mac, simply copy and paste the full content of the ISO to the drive once formated in MS-DOS (being carefull to copy all of the files within the iso, not the iso icon itself. After this i just changed the priorities on the Laptop for booting, and it worked PERFECTLY WELL. I had to format the internal drive for it to be able to let the windows install as a whole (simply by commanding the computer to clean the disk on the terminal).
    Either way, this method works for any Mac with older OS, from el capitan on you can simply burn trough boot camp assistant.:

Thanks everyone.

Gust1704, Dec 24, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    That is actually the best and most reliable way of doing it. All you need is a FAT32 partition marked as active on the USB flash drive and copy the files and folders from the mounted ISO files over to it. Easy as pie and is the most reliable way of making a USB flash drive compatible with both legacy BIOS and UEFI.

NavyLCDR, Dec 24, 2016
  12. Berton Win User
    Well, since I need at times to reformat drives due to problems, I prefer to use a reliable and OS-independant program. Also, due to the limited native support for NTFS in Mac OS X [haven't checked macOS yet], I occasionally need to format/partition external drives of larger capacity such as 120GB, 250GB and 500GB to FAT32 which GPARTED does just fine. Additionally, being on a CD-R that can't be changed any infections on a target drive will not carry over.

Berton, Dec 24, 2016
  13. How can i properly install WIndows 10 on a Freedos Laptop.?

Fair enough. For most of us though, in a lot of situations, it's likely overkill. I have simple needs so I would only resort to it if my usual method didn't work. It would be my backup plan. *Wink

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How can i properly install WIndows 10 on a Freedos Laptop.? - Similar Threads - properly install Freedos

2. I bought a freedos hp laptop SN Number is:5CD329DJP3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I bought a freedos hp laptop SN Number is:5CD329DJP3: The wifi driver was never installed and i dont know how to install it can you help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-bought-a-freedos-hp-laptop-sn-number/d1d711cd-e30b-4d26-9864-972f62dad8bb
  3. I bought a freedos hp laptop SN Number is:5CD329DJP3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I bought a freedos hp laptop SN Number is:5CD329DJP3: The wifi driver was never installed and i dont know how to install it can you help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-bought-a-freedos-hp-laptop-sn-number/d1d711cd-e30b-4d26-9864-972f62dad8bb
  4. Install over FreeDOS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install over FreeDOS: HiWe have purchased a Lenovo laptop with only FreeDOS installed.I have purchased a product key from the Microsoft store, but need to understand the process for installing Windows 10 over FreeDOS.The disk is partitioned 997MB and 273GB.ThanksQ...
  5. How to Uninstall Windows 10 while keeping FreeDOS to return PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Uninstall Windows 10 while keeping FreeDOS to return PC: Hi, I'm a bit unexperienced with technology, so excuse me. I've bought a PC that I want to return, and I have been told that to return it I need to uninstall Windows and install freeDOS again (I think I may have deleted it when installing Windows). What would be the easiest...
  6. Installing Windows 10 from External Hard Drive on a FreeDOS Lenovo Laptop

Installing Windows 10 from External Hard Drive on a FreeDOS Lenovo Laptop: As stated in the title, could somebody help me with this installation? I know I need to download the .ISO of Windows on my external hard drive, but I do not know how to start the installation from FreeDOS and whether to create a new parition on my external hard drive. Any...
  7. Installing windiws 10 from azure to freedos lenovo

Installing windiws 10 from azure to freedos lenovo: Hi, I am trying to install windows 10 to my computer that has freedos. I would like to know which files do i have to download from azure. I tried by dowloading windows 10 consumer edition version 1903 dvd, but when i installed it I couldnt even connect my laptop to wifi....
  8. I can't install Windows10 on freedos

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't install Windows10 on freedos: I just bought a new hp pc, freedos, thinking I would eventually be able to install Windows10. I created the usb but once starting the process, after selecting the language a problem occurs saying that I need to install some drivers (apparently it's the page where you should...
  9. FreeDOS Error

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    FreeDOS Error: Hello all. When i open pc coming freeDOS. I have installed windows. And in last open i accidentally change OS letter to E. Thats can be Error? I created Kali Linux USb and entered in live mode all files here thats mean hard drive is working. How can i fix it. Thanks...
  10. How can I install windows 10 on a FreeDOS system without DVD or USB?

How can I install windows 10 on a FreeDOS system without DVD or USB?: I recently bought a new Lenovo IdeaPad 120s,but I didn't read the details carefully and I didn't realize that it was a DOS system and it's too late to return it. I've searched everywhere online and everyone keeps saying the same thing about a usb or a DVD, but would it be...