Windows 10: How can I recover my data from a dead HDD that still spins?

Discus and support How can I recover my data from a dead HDD that still spins? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; My HDD died the other day, so I bought a new one and a SATA to USB3.0 connector to transfer my files. The dead drive doesn't register when I plug it in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by aferrick, Aug 7, 2017.

1. aferrick Win User

How can I recover my data from a dead HDD that still spins?

My HDD died the other day, so I bought a new one and a SATA to USB3.0 connector to transfer my files. The dead drive doesn't register when I plug it in via USB with the connector, and plugging it in via SATA to my motherboard takes a while to register, but then lags my system immensely, and then it fails to recognize.

I've been trying to live load Knoppix linux to use ddrescue, but I can't seem to get linux to find either my new or old HDDs. Any and all help would be appreciated.

:)

aferrick, Aug 7, 2017

2. How can i recover my data from a formatted windows phone 7 sd card?

my windows phone 7 (HD7) the rom crashed so there's only one way to make it work ,that is to restore it and lose everything on it to make it work,,,,but i want all the data on it ,so i opened the phone and i took the sd card out, but unfortunately
    microsoft locked the wp7 sd card, so you have to format it to make it work on a computer ,i formatted it so i can use it on the computer and use a data recovery software to get my data back,,but nothing comes out except sometimes this file (ReadyBoostPerfTest.tmp)
    and i found out the microsoft didn't just locked the sd it's even used a strange file system not fat or fat32 or ntfs it's something else....

i really need that data, it's so important to me really important, i always make a back up but that crash happened from no where in the middle of my work , it's like some curse or something, please please the data is still there, that's how every
    storage drive works but it's just there are no commercial programs that can read the strange file system that microsoft uses for the wp7,,,,

MuhammadAliPN, Aug 7, 2017
  3. DonTolson Win User
    How can i recover my data from a formatted windows phone 7 sd card?

You could try installing it in another WP7 phone, but I don't think that's going to work.

With WP7, the O/S actually 'includes' and manages the SD card storage area as part of the overall memory of the phone. So everything -- internal and card memory is managed as one unit.

And since WP7 and WP8 don't use a typical folder/file memory management strategy, there's no way for other devices to read/interpret the data stored on the card.

Also, when you 'formatted' the card on the PC, you likely blew away everything (or at least any significant pointers) that were on the card.

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is 'Yes', there are no commercial programs (that I'm aware of) that will read/recover the strangely formatted data from the card.

DonTolson, Aug 7, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Haven't work with Knoppix in quite awhile but some LiveDVD versions may not support NTFS-formatted drives. I have no problem with Linux Mint LiveDVD or a bootable GPARTED LiveCD and NTFS as long as I can get the computer to boot to an Optical drive.

I'm just now using my Linux Mint 18.2 computer and the GPARTED program to look at a 2TB drive that is formatted NTFS.

Berton, Aug 7, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    No amount of software will fix a hard drive that has failed physically. You might want to take it to a repair expert, maybe only the controller board has failed and they might be able to replace it to retrieve the data on the platters.

NavyLCDR, Aug 7, 2017
  6. aferrick Win User
    I'm pretty sure Microcenter quoted this fix at $99, if I was paying attention. Assuming other places value the service at the same cost, what can I do myself that would be cheaper?

aferrick, Aug 7, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    You might find a used same make and model hard drive and try swapping the controller board yourself, hope for the best.

NavyLCDR, Aug 7, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

That is not a high price if it works. Unless you really know what you are doing, you risk losing everything.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I recover my data from a dead HDD that still spins? - Similar Threads - recover data dead

2. How do I recover files from a HDD in a dead computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I recover files from a HDD in a dead computer: Hi there!I just had my desktop that was running on Win 10 I think stop turning on after a roof leak got it very wet. I went into a panic because I had a lot of legal documents on the desktop I know, I know...I just hadn't gotten around to backing them up because I'm an idiot....
  3. How do I recover files from a HDD in a dead computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I recover files from a HDD in a dead computer: Hi there!I just had my desktop that was running on Win 10 I think stop turning on after a roof leak got it very wet. I went into a panic because I had a lot of legal documents on the desktop I know, I know...I just hadn't gotten around to backing them up because I'm an idiot....
  4. How do I recover files from a HDD in a dead computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Can I recover data from my hdd if it shows Incorrect Function? Can I still recover even if...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I recover data from my hdd if it shows Incorrect Function? Can I still recover even if...: The problem started when my laptop went to BSOD due to driver errors. Did "chkdsk /f /r c:" and it got stucked with no progress at stage 4 for 5 hours and I badly need to use my laptop because of a due work. I entered Ctrl + C and chckdsk was cancelled. Booted back to normalC...
  6. Can I recover data from my hdd if it shows Incorrect Function? Can I still recover even if...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I recover data from my hdd if it shows Incorrect Function? Can I still recover even if...: The problem started when my laptop went to BSOD due to driver errors. Did "chkdsk /f /r c:" and it got stucked with no progress at stage 4 for 5 hours and I badly need to use my laptop because of a due work. I entered Ctrl + C and chckdsk was cancelled. Booted back to normalC...
  7. Is it possible to recover my data from HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to recover my data from HDD: Hello all I wanted to change my windows 10 and I wanted to convert it to MBR from GPT but unfortunately in the command prompt I cleaned the whole disk Is it possible to recover the data from other partitions it's 1TB HDD Please help me submitted by /u/hard2resist [link]...
  8. Recover Data from Laptop HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Recover Data from Laptop HDD: Hello I have a Lenovo Laptop , with an internal HDD drive of 1 TB . Now i have a problem with it , it's no longer working , when i enter the BIOS setup to check , it shows me HDD ," not detected " , and sometimes yes " Detected " and i can see the name of my HDD. I...
  9. Recover Product Key from dead HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Recover Product Key from dead HDD: Hi, Recently, my laptop had a motherboard isuue that lead to the death of my PC. Almost every component is damaged, I brought the laptop in a PC repair shop but they couldn't do anything. We tried to recover at least the HDD, without success. I'm currently building a new...
  10. Recovering Data from HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovering Data from HDD: I have a HDD from a laptop that died. The laptop died because of a power issue it did not crash and the HDD should not have been affected. I removed the HDD from the laptop to recover the files. The laptop was running windows 7. I've installed the HDD on my windows 10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to retrieve data from a dead harddrive that just spins