Windows 10: How can I remove all tiles and apps in start menu?

Discus and support How can I remove all tiles and apps in start menu? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I tried to remove all tiles in the start menu by removing one by one, right-clicking, but whenever I restart the tiles still appear again. How can I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Eun Cho, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Eun Cho Win User

How can I remove all tiles and apps in start menu?

I tried to remove all tiles in the start menu by removing one by one, right-clicking, but whenever I restart the tiles still appear again.

How can I keep them deleted, and would this be related to the settings below?

I also tried to turn both functions off but it would never remain deactivated.

It always become "On" when I reopen the setting menu.

How can I remove all tiles and apps in start menu? 7add3031-8c17-4ea1-9795-390a032dad31?upload=true.png

:)

Eun Cho, Jul 28, 2018

2. Windows 10 Start Menu all apps / tiles missing

So I woke my computer up from sleep last night and this is what I was welcomed with:

How can I remove all tiles and apps in start menu? [​IMG]

All of a sudden my start menu had no apps listed and no live tiles to speak of. So I did my googleing and I found this microsoft answer page: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-b988cd6da49a

I tried every step in their. After all said and done, I got installed programs to show up, but the live tiles that usually show to the right did not come back. I was ok with that, thinking I would work on this today and find a solution to that problem.

I just woke up the computer again from sleep and the start menu is blank AGAIN. Before this started happening last night, I have not installed any new software nor has windows ran any updates.

I'm at a loss. I tried system recovery and to roll back to a few days prior, but I keep getting an error after recovery is attempted stating that windows recovery wasn't able to fully complete due to a certain file (i can retry recovery and post picture of error if needed).

So any suggestions on whats my next step? I thought maybe I had a malware issue, but II have avast and malware antibytes installed and they showed no hits when the scans where run.

Any suggestions or guidance is greatly appreciated. Hope you all have a Great Turkey Day!

PS, I have to work today from 4pm to 6am, so If I do not reply right away I apologize.

Dalumberjack03, Jul 28, 2018
  3. Windows 10 I can't remove a tile from the start menu.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family. I would be happy to assist you.

From the description provided, I understand that you want to remove a tile from the start screen of a deleted folder.

Use the following steps to remove tiles from your Start Screen.

Please follow the below steps to remove the tile.

• Press the Windows (
      How can I remove all tiles and apps in start menu? [​IMG]
      ) key
      to open the Start screen.
    • Right-click on the tile you want to remove.
    • Select Unpin from Start to remove the tile.
    Ideally, the above steps should remove the tile which you want to. However, if it fails to, I would suggest you to Restore Default Start Screen Tiles. Please follow the below steps.

• Press the Windows key + R from the keyboard to open the Run Command Dialog Box.
    • Enter the following command: %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows, which will open the Microsoft Windows App-data folder.
    • Scroll down to find these two files, namely, item-data file and the item-data.bak.
    • Select both files to delet, right-click on it and select Delete option to send it to the Recycle bin. Don’t press Shift to delete it permanently, let it go to recycle bin. On the safe side you can make a backup copy of these two files on another disk location.
    • Restart your PC or log out and log in again. Now you will see Windows 8.x Start Screen reset to default tiles.
    • Now re-arrange the tile as you want and new tiles will also be created automatily when you install any apps from Store.
    Note: If anything went wrong and you want to revert start screen tiles to your tiles. restore item data files from recycle bin or from the location where you backed up to the Windows app data folder.

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be glad to help you.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jul 28, 2018
  4. neilpzz Win User

Remove apps from start menu

You can remove the Tile from the Start menu (right click the tile) but there is no option to remove it from the program list.

neilpzz, Jul 28, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I remove all tiles and apps in start menu? - Similar Threads - remove tiles apps

2. How to remove new theme aware tiles in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove new theme aware tiles in Start Menu: Hello, I have a question regarding a recent Windows 10 update, which introduced theme aware tiles in the Start Menu, making the tiles themselves transparent. The Start Menu is already transparent, and because of the desktop background I have, having transparent tiles...
  3. How to remove this tiles thingy from my start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to remove this tiles thingy from my start menu?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Jiimeh [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gi2igw/how_to_remove_this_tiles_thingy_from_my_start_menu/
  4. How do I remove the margin from the tiles in start menu.

How do I remove the margin from the tiles in start menu.: Is there a way to remove the margin, the gaps, between the tiles in the start menu? [img] Right now my start menu looks like this, but I want to remove the gap between the squares to make it look like a white sheet with icons on it. I cannot find a setting for this in the...
  5. Set all apps first instead of Pinned tiles in Start menu

Set all apps first instead of Pinned tiles in Start menu: Here is the answer to that question which the microsoft moderator said you cannot do. Settings->Personalization->start Set "Show app list in Start menu" to on. this will now default to apps and not show the pinned tiles first. ***Modified title from: Start Menu No...
  6. Removing Power and All Apps in Start Menu

Removing Power and All Apps in Start Menu: It's a simple question, with probably a more complicated answer: How do I remove these two buttons, as I think they are ugly as OS X (ok, maybe not that ugly)? [img] 8957
  7. How can I reset the start menu layout (the tiles)

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I reset the start menu layout (the tiles): The old method that worked in 8.x and older 10 of the two files no longer works. Anybody know of a method? 7145
  8. All Apps menu - Can I remove the Alphabet?

in Windows 10 Support
    All Apps menu - Can I remove the Alphabet?: I came from Windows 7 like yesterday and upgraded to Windows 10 last night. I absolutely hate the All Apps menu, and don't see a way to change it much. Is there a way to simply remove the Alphabet letters from the All apps menu? I don't really need my apps categorized by...
  9. Windows 10 Start Menu all apps / tiles missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Menu all apps / tiles missing: So I woke my computer up from sleep last night and this is what I was welcomed with: [img] All of a sudden my start menu had no apps listed and no live tiles to speak of. So I did my googleing and I found this microsoft answer page:...
  10. Start Menu (Remove Tiles)

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu (Remove Tiles): Hey all, I beta tested Windows 10 several months back, previous to the version I tested, if you removed all the pined tiles from the start menu, it would look more like the conventional start menu. However in the few version I tested, even if you unpinned all the tiles,...