Windows 10: How can I reset the start menu layout (the tiles)

Discus and support How can I reset the start menu layout (the tiles) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The old method that worked in 8.x and older 10 of the two files no longer works. Anybody know of a method? 7145 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Keslow, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Keslow Win User

How can I reset the start menu layout (the tiles)

The old method that worked in 8.x and older 10 of the two files no longer works. Anybody know of a method?

:)

Keslow, Jun 16, 2015
  2. SerhiyVP Win User

How to reset the tile layout in the start menu

According to
    this article
    TileDataLayer was deprecated in CU

In Creators Update removing or copying TileDataLayer folder between accounts does not seem to work anymore.

SerhiyVP, Jun 16, 2015
  3. Jaune Bel Win User
    How to reset the tile layout in the start menu

Hi,

We would like to know more about your concern with resetting the tile layout in the Start menu. Kindly answer the following:

• Is your computer connected in a domain?
    • Which build of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Have you tried the steps given by DaveM121 on a different user profile?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Jaune Bel, Jun 16, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

What exactly do you want to do? Are you talking about resetting it to it's installation layout or ????

Ztruker, Jun 17, 2015
  5. Keslow Win User
    Yes! Restore the "modern tiles" to the default ones and positions/size

Keslow, Jun 17, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Jun 17, 2015
  7. Keslow Win User
    What that's describing is what I am looking for, but that method no longer works

Keslow, Jun 17, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Keslow, and welcome to Ten Forums.

I removed the tutorial we had here for this since Microsoft has changed how/where the Start layout is stored in Windows 10. Unfortunately, I'm still working on trying to find the new location to update and restore the tutorial.

Brink, Jun 17, 2015
  9. elbeasto Win User
    Any update on this? I'd also like the ability to reset the start menu.
    This wasn't an option in Win 8 also.

elbeasto, Sep 3, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Sorry, but nothing new yet. *Sad

Brink, Sep 3, 2015
  11. elbeasto Win User
    Awe we're all nice enough to use their software too. *Biggrin

elbeasto, Sep 4, 2015
  12. Brink, is there any update on this? I have rearranged my Start Menu again and can't remember how it looked when I first installed Windows 10.

Jesse Williams, Jun 21, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Jesse,

Actually, I am working on something that should be ready tomorrow for this. I'll post back with a link to a tutorial when it's ready. *Smile

Brink, Jun 21, 2016
  14. Okay. Thank you! *Smile

Jesse Williams, Jun 21, 2016
  15. Gayle Win User
    Check out this tutorial. Copy the entire folder C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer from a newly created account, and then replace / overwrite the TileDataLayer folder of your target account. This works for me but the steps are a bit complicated.

Gayle, Jun 21, 2016
Thema:

1. How can I reset the start menu layout (the tiles) - Similar Threads - reset start menu

2. Start Tile Layout

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Tile Layout: This is about start menu customization that is on a "Golden Image" and pushed out to Horizon virtual desktops. Hopefully this is the best forum for it! When building my images I have always used powershell Export-StartLayout and Import-StartLayout in order to provide a custom...
  3. Start Menu Tiles...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu Tiles...: [ATTACH] Is there any way to change Windows 10 UWP app tiles to an unsupported color or at least, change it without changing the accent color? https://preview.redd.it/mbqdxtnjwlx51.png?width=1366&format=png&auto=webp&s=4cb2a93bc3c80ee24150a8458dd752ab330f4e94 submitted...
  4. Backup start menu tile layout

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backup start menu tile layout: Hi all, I have quite a few websites installed as fake apps via Microsoft Edge these days.I access all of these via pinned icons on the Windows 10 start menu. I've had issues before where a Windows 10 update or Edge update has wiped out these websites installed as fake apps,...
  5. Start menu layout / Live Tiles under the Admin account?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Start menu layout / Live Tiles under the Admin account?: I am always running my system as a Standard User Account and sometimes when I need to test system settings I logon to my Admin account. However, on the Start menu layout, I left it as default, in other words, I have the Live Tiles showing up on the Start Menu Layout like...
  6. Start Menu Bug - Tiles not updating / Layout not updating

Start Menu Bug - Tiles not updating / Layout not updating: I tried customizing my Start menu - removing the tiles, that I didn't need and trying to add the ones that I wanted. After every restart it resets to the default one. It even displays the applications that I previously uninstalled. Also "My computer" cannot even be added...
  7. How can I remove all tiles and apps in start menu?

How can I remove all tiles and apps in start menu?: I tried to remove all tiles in the start menu by removing one by one, right-clicking, but whenever I restart the tiles still appear again. How can I keep them deleted, and would this be related to the settings below? I also tried to turn both functions off but it would...
  8. Start menu tiles layout savefile?

Start menu tiles layout savefile?: after updag win7 to win10 i immediately customized my start menu tiles and it looked really awesome while still being organised. After encountering numerous problems with poorly migrated programs i did a fresh install ( like a month ago) and havent been able to find that same...
  9. Start menu tiles

Start menu tiles: Hi Im trying to sort out a problem, recently I noticed that I cant add tiles to the start menu, I cant delete ones already there, I cant move them where I want them to be and that the *context* menu that appears when I right click on the tiles already pinned to the start...
  10. How to reset the Start menu to default settings/layout?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reset the Start menu to default settings/layout?: Hello, I somehow managed to add shortcut to my Start menu leading nowhere and it messed up the whole thing. It closes itself nearly instantly and any interaction causes explorer.exe to crash. So is there a folder with *.lnk files, or xml with the Start menu...