Windows 10: How can I search my computer....is there a way on 10???

Discus and support How can I search my computer....is there a way on 10??? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I had 8.1 on the right of my screen I could slide out a window that had a blue background and the first box was a search box. I could type in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by purplelover, Aug 20, 2016.

1. How can I search my computer....is there a way on 10???

When I had 8.1 on the right of my screen I could slide out a window that had a blue background and the first box was a search box. I could type in anything I wanted and it would search my computer for me . I Loved it!!!!!!

There was settings, and power options I think.

Now that I have Windows 10 that window and the options are gone....A black tab opens with ACTION CENTER. No search box. Is there any way I can get it back??????

Thanks for any help.

:)

purplelover, Aug 20, 2016
  2. Entegy Win User

Is there a way I can change all my Tiles on the start to different colors (maybe an app)?

No, the accent colour affects everything that uses it. Some apps will keep their own colour completely, while some will use the accent colour in some way.

Entegy, Aug 20, 2016
  3. Shpati Win User
    Is there a way I can change all my Tiles on the start to different colors (maybe an app)?

I just got a Samsung Focus S. I like it so far. Ijust want to know if there is a way I can change my Title colors on the start screen to different colors. Say keep the internet explorer tile blue, and make the marketplace tile yellow or something.

Is there a way I can do this?

I tried looking for apps, but I could not find any.

Shpati, Aug 20, 2016
  4. TrustMe Win User

How can I search my computer....is there a way on 10???

TrustMe, Aug 20, 2016
  5. Mystere Win User
    Are you using Windows 10 on a tablet or phone? If you're using the desktop, there should be a big search box right on the taskbar. You can search for files, apps, even stuff on the web.

If you want more fine grained control, you can use the search in File Explorer (upper right corner)

I'm not sure how you can miss it...

Mystere, Aug 20, 2016
  6. derekimo Win User
    She's talking about searching from the charms bar,

Charms Bar - Open in Windows 8

How can I search my computer....is there a way on 10??? [​IMG]

There is a search option on the right side.

derekimo, Aug 20, 2016
  7. TrustMe Win User
    @derekimo
    OK thanks, I see what she's talking about now.

TrustMe, Aug 20, 2016
  8. derekimo Win User

You're welcome.

derekimo, Aug 20, 2016
  9. Yes, the charms bar. But i don't have that on my Windows 10. Any way to get it back?

as for the search bar on the bottom task bar it does not search my computer it goes to the web to search.

please tell me there is a way to get my charms back.....

Thanks everyone for your input.

10. derekimo Win User
    Sorry, the charms bar is gone in Windows 10. *Sad

derekimo, Aug 20, 2016
  11. So there is no way to search my computer??? Never should have left 8.1

12. Use "Everything" -https://www.voidtools.com/
    -It's free and searches . . . Everything!

DaveGrant01, Aug 20, 2016
  13. Cliff S New Member

@purplelover,
    the search is now integrated in Cortana.
    Just hit the Windows icon/start type what you need.
    Here I'm searching for Children of Bodom:

First I typed my search, then clicked "more" in the upper right corner
    to expand to more search options:
    *default search is web, documents, apps***

Then selected the library the folder/file should be located:

Here it is:

Cliff S, Aug 20, 2016
  14. Wullail Win User
    You could always use file explorer , if should be pinned on your bottom toolbar by default , there is a search box on the top.

Wullail, Aug 20, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Cortana search (the search box normally on your taskbar) of your files and folders is very limited- limited to what's been indexed by Windows search indexing. Executables (exe, cmd, bat..) are not found. I ignore it.

That is useful for finding programs you want to launch, and settings.

The search field in File explorer behaves as it ever has. Fast for indexed items, relatively slow for others, uses 'Advanced Query Syntax' if you want to look that up.

For finding things on your PC properly and really fast, as mentioned by DaveGrant01, you could use
    Everything (get v 1.4beta as this adds useful GUI options)
    Ultrasearch is more comprehensive in GUI options
    I use Locate32 (older).

These are free, and find things 'instantly', but not file content.

Windows Indexing can include file content and does by default, although there is a snag where folders you want indexed may also have to be manually included for content indexing.

Settings search relies on Windows Indexing.

dalchina, Aug 20, 2016
Thema:

1. How can I search my computer....is there a way on 10??? - Similar Threads - search computer

2. Windows could not start the windows search service on Local Computer Error 21: The device...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows could not start the windows search service on Local Computer Error 21: The device...: Windows could not start the windows search service on Local ComputerError 21: The device is not ready.I will add pictures, i can't directly upload here it gives me some error, sorry for that , i uploaded to prnt.scPhotoWhen i go to the event viewer i see the error i get...
  3. Windows could not start the windows search service on Local Computer Error 21: The device...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows could not start the windows search service on Local Computer Error 21: The device...: Windows could not start the windows search service on Local ComputerError 21: The device is not ready.I will add pictures, i can't directly upload here it gives me some error, sorry for that , i uploaded to prnt.scPhotoWhen i go to the event viewer i see the error i get...
  4. Windows could not start the windows search service on Local Computer Error 21: The device...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Search Indexing keeps turning off - Always having to scan my computer for corrupted files,...

in Cortana
    Search Indexing keeps turning off - Always having to scan my computer for corrupted files,...: It was about a month again when I first encountered that my search indexing was turned off, this was during school and I searched the internet for solutions. I found that I had to scan my laptop, rebuild the index, troubleshoot and also restart and stop/start the windows...
  6. My windows search will searh web instead of Application in My Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows search will searh web instead of Application in My Computer: When I press Windows key and then type an Application name e.g. Excel or Notepad as I want to open it, Windows show web search result instead. I tried to click App filter, still same happened.What's happening?...
  7. My windows search will searh web instead of Application in My Computer

My windows search will searh web instead of Application in My Computer: When I press Windows key and then type an Application name e.g. Excel or Notepad as I want to open it, Windows show web search result instead. I tried to click App filter, still same happened.What's happening?...
  8. Is there an app that searches your computer to find all exe files so they can be added to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there an app that searches your computer to find all exe files so they can be added to...: I have a laptop with a discrete gpu and I want it default for every application instead of intel graphics. I cannot be bothered to set it for every windows process and app by hand and need way to set it as default or for every app. I have tried regedit for the default gpu but...
  9. Is there an app that searches your computer to find all exe files so they can be added to...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is there an app that searches your computer to find all exe files so they can be added to...: I have a laptop with a discrete gpu and I want it default for every application instead of intel graphics. I cannot be bothered to set it for every windows process and app by hand and need way to set it as default or for every app. I have tried regedit for the default gpu but...
  10. Is there an app that searches your computer to find all exe files so they can be added to...