Windows 10: How can I see the process that brings my PC to a crawl?

Discus and support How can I see the process that brings my PC to a crawl? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm coming here with the hope that I'll get this Windows problem solved, since I turned the internet up and down searching for a solution and it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by AndreiMarian, Feb 28, 2018.

1. How can I see the process that brings my PC to a crawl?

I'm coming here with the hope that I'll get this Windows problem solved, since I turned the internet up and down searching for a solution and it was all useless.
    There are times when my PC is unsuable due to 80-99% CPU (some rare times Disk usage).
    Task Manager shows this high consuming but the processes' percentages add up to 50-60%.
    The same goes with Process Explorer.
    What process takes up 40%? The difference never drops under ~10%!
    Can anybody help? Please? What tricks can I do to get the culprit? What solutions are out there?

:)

AndreiMarian, Feb 28, 2018

2. How can i shrink my display so that i can see items at the sides?

Didn't do it. There seems a problem withmy ISP, the same thing has happened to my TV.

jimelliott_98, Feb 28, 2018
  3. WayneRupp Win User
    How can i shrink my display so that i can see items at the sides?

Hello jimelliot_98,

To decrease the size of screen press Ctrl and -

To increase the size of the screen press Ctrl and +

These short cuts may allow you to view the sides of the screen better. You might also experiment with screen resolution in the Start Menu >Settings > Display > Screen Resolution. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Wayne

WayneRupp, Feb 28, 2018
  4. AntJac Win User

How can I see the process that brings my PC to a crawl?

What version of Windows are you on? Wonder if this is the same as my issue. It only happens every so often (2 to 3 days) and doesn't last long but i can't right click on Taskbars or anything

AntJac, Feb 28, 2018
  5. It happens as you say, @AntJac. But this is another story which I've learned to live with. Indeed, there are random times when the system simply halts any activity, allowing only the cursor position to be updated. No spikes in CPU or Disk I/O and this is what is frustrating. BTW this cursor thing changed in update 1709; now the cursor update priority seems equal to that of the UI (progress bars).

Back to the matter at hand:
    Every time any CPU demanding application runs, it looks like the CPU load doubles.
    One part is reflected in the app percentage as expected and there's another part which adds to that unknown difference. It's as if something outside the system bears the hardest burden of that application or extra burden, leaving the application itself with a reasonably high load.

So how can we know what is responsible for the said difference?

AndreiMarian, Feb 28, 2018
  6. Speccy
    Download Speccy 1.31.732 - FileHippo.com

1. File > Save Snapshot. This will create a file called [hostname].speccy
    2. File > Publish Snapshot. This saves your snapshot to their servers
    3 Copy and Paste the link to your next Reply

Step 2:
    Click on Start menu
    Type in cmd
    Right click on cmd in list and select run as administrator
    Copy and Paste the commands into the command window
    sfc /scannow
    (Windows 8 or higher)
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    (Windows 7 or lower)
    dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\Windows /LimitAccess
    (Change C:\Windows to correct path of source)

When these have completed.
    Right click on the top bar command window
    Left click on Edit then Select Alloesnt
    Right click on the top bar again
    Left click on edit then copy
    paste into your reply

If any Errors:
    Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
    Upload sfcdetails.txt

Step 3:
    Download Process Explorer
    Process Explorer - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs

1. Save it to your desktop then run it. Right Click and Select Run As Administrator
    2. Select View Menu Click Select Columns
    3. In the Select Columns Window Check Verified Signer and Click OK
    4. Select Options Menu and Check Verify Image Signatures
    5. Double Click o the CPU Column to sort by highest CPU usage.
    (System Idle Process should be at the top once sorted properly)
    6. Wait approximately a minute
    7. Select Save or Save As from the File Menu and save System Idle Process.txt to Desktop
    8. Upload the file to your Reply

Step 4:
    Please download and Run the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
    http://images.malwareremoval.com/vino/VEW.exe

1. Right click on Vew.exe program and select Run as Administrator
    2.. Under Select log to query
    3. select System
    4. Under Select type to list
    Select:
    * Error
    * Warning
    Choose the Number of events as follows:
    Click on umber of events
    Type 20 in the box (1 to 20)
    Click the Run button (Notepad will open the log)
    upload files to next reply
    Rename to SystemLog.txt or it will be overwritten

Run these steps again Except at step 3.
    Select Application
    Rename log file to ApplicationLog.txt
    Upload or Paste to next reply

Next Steps if Needed

Techjourney, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How can I see the process that brings my PC to a crawl?

1. How can I see the process that brings my PC to a crawl? - Similar Threads - process brings crawl

2. How can I bring my laptop back to normal?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I bring my laptop back to normal?: I repaired my laptop's motherboard and placed a new battery last month. It worked perfectly for like 2 or 3 weeks & then one day it stopped turning on. My laptop now it only charges when I plug it in. But it doesn't turn even with or without battery or even when plugged...
  3. How can I bring my laptop back to normal?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I bring my laptop back to normal?: I repaired my laptop's motherboard and placed a new battery last month. It worked perfectly for like 2 or 3 weeks & then one day it stopped turning on. My laptop now it only charges when I plug it in. But it doesn't turn even with or without battery or even when plugged...
  4. How can I bring my laptop back to normal?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How can I bring my laptop back to normal?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. How can I bring my laptop back to normal?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. How can I see License Key linked to my PC ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I see License Key linked to my PC ?: Hi,How can I view the License Key linked to my PC ?Thank You Dynaamx https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-see-license-key-linked-to-my-pc/0f768767-a713-4702-8dbd-92c0576c0c45
  8. How can I see License Key linked to my PC ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I see License Key linked to my PC ?: Hi,How can I view the License Key linked to my PC ?Thank You Dynaamx https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-see-license-key-linked-to-my-pc/0f768767-a713-4702-8dbd-92c0576c0c45
  9. OneDrive bringing PC to a crawl. Thinking about making all my stuff local and screw the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OneDrive bringing PC to a crawl. Thinking about making all my stuff local and screw the...: After 10+yeras on mac I switched to windows and never looked back. Purchased the O365 subscription and fully jumped into Microsoft ecosystem. Perfect experience for just getting stuff done, and this whole thing, honestly, runs circles around competition. One thing I am not...
  10. Neshta.A crawling in my PC

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Neshta.A crawling in my PC: I have a Neshta virus that has spread over my Windows, I scanned it with my avira, over 2% of the scan it has over 400 detection and each real-time warning gives me 270 virus detection. I am using Avira Free, AVG Neshta removal tool, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware free and it's...