Windows 10: How can I stop win 10 from putting stuff on my 2nd hdd?

Discus and support How can I stop win 10 from putting stuff on my 2nd hdd? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I installed windows 10 on the C drive, when I did this I made sure the secondary hdd was disconnected, However now, it keeps putting stuff on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scyris, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Scyris Win User

How can I stop win 10 from putting stuff on my 2nd hdd?

So I installed windows 10 on the C drive, when I did this I made sure the secondary hdd was disconnected, However now, it keeps putting stuff on my storage drive insted of my main drive, I don't know if its a backup or what but it won't even let me delete it, and it is eating up space on my storage drive for no reason.

:)

Scyris, Aug 24, 2017

2. How can I stop Win 10 from constantly moving my frelling icons around on my Desktop!!!!

Hi Malag,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

This kind of issue might occur because of some third party application or start up items. I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if this helps in resolving the issue.

Step 1:

To diagnose whether this issue occurs in “Safe Mode”, let’s reboot the computer in safe mode with networking and check if the issue appears there as well.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. This helps us in identifying whether the issue is due to some third
    party programs conflict. The word Safe mode appear in the concern of your monitor to identify which windows mode you are using.

Follow the steps given below and check if that helps.

Unplug external devices connected to the computer expect
    keyboard and mouse.

From login screen, press Shift key and click on the
    Power button and click restart to enter Advanced Boot Options.

In this page select troubleshoot
    option.

And click on Advance option.

Select Startup setting from advance option.

Here you will find Restart button, just click on it.

In new windows press F5 to login with
    safe mode with networking.

If the issue does not exist, try to clean boot the system.

Step 2: Perform Clean Boot.

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. Check this issue in clean boot state.

• Press Windows key + X key. And select
      Run.
    • Type msconfig in the Run box and hit Enter.
    • On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the
      Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click
      Disable all.
    • On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click
      Open Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click
      Disable.
    • Close Task Manager.
    • On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click
      OK, and then restart the computer.
    For more information refer the below link.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Hope this helps. Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Aug 24, 2017
  3. MalagAste Win User
    How can I stop Win 10 from constantly moving my frelling icons around on my Desktop!!!!

Just what it says.... I looked all over the web and my registry says what it's supposed to supposedly but the (*&)(*&()* icons keep moving aorund!!!! I am so fed up!

MalagAste, Aug 24, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

How big are the 2 drives? Or is there just 1 drive but 2 partitions on it?

Berton, Aug 24, 2017
  5. Scyris Win User
    Ones a 256 gb SSD other is a 1.5 tb standart hdd, OS is on the SSD, so it shouldn't be writing any files to the secondary at all in terms of windows files etc,

Scyris, Aug 24, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    There may be a few things such as System Volume Information and Recycle Bin unless selectively turned off.

Berton, Aug 24, 2017
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    Can you give us a screenshot of what files you are seeing? Like Berton said, they may just be internal system files, and necessary for the file system (NTFS).

f14tomcat, Aug 24, 2017
  8. Berton Win User

I did forget to mention you may need to change Folder Views to Show Hidden files, maybe temporarily show System files but be sure to revert the changes.

Berton, Aug 24, 2017
  9. Scyris Win User
    Well it was making a Program file x86, Program files, windows, efi, programdata folder complete with tens of thousands of files. I managed to delete them though now, and they so far have not come back so. Would like to know how to prevent it in the future though if possible.

Scyris, Aug 25, 2017
  10. AndreyT Win User
    This sounds unrealistic. Windows will not just put Program file x86, Program files and other folders you mentioned on the second drive. Most likely these folders were left over from some older Windows installation that existed on that second drive. They are not a consequence of your current installation putting anything there.

AndreyT, Aug 25, 2017
  11. Scyris Win User
    You sure? because trusted installer was refusing to let me delete alot of the files, I had to play around with the security settings and also use a .reg file to enable take ownership from the context menu in order for it to let me delete them. They are gone now and nothing negative seems to happen, only thing in the 2 program files folders was like windows apps and such.

This never happened before when I first got the ssd and put windows on it, and I generally always have hidden files set to show.

Scyris, Aug 25, 2017
  12. AndreyT Win User
    What does it say in your Settings -> System -> Storage -> Change where new content is saved -> New apps will save to ? Which drive?

AndreyT, Aug 27, 2017
  13. Scyris Win User

Its all set to the C drive like it should be, but since I managed to delete the files they have not come back yet, so I think its kinda solved for now.

Scyris, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I stop win 10 from putting stuff on my 2nd hdd? - Similar Threads - stop putting stuff

2. my antivirus is stopping me from downloading stuff

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my antivirus is stopping me from downloading stuff: hi so i use windows 10 and my antivirus mcafee wont let me download stuff from the internet like images and stuff like that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-antivirus-is-stopping-me-from-downloading-stuff/d8df67cf-3e4f-4f8d-b72b-c12e5e537468
  3. my antivirus is stopping me from downloading stuff

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my antivirus is stopping me from downloading stuff: hi so i use windows 10 and my antivirus mcafee wont let me download stuff from the internet like images and stuff like that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-antivirus-is-stopping-me-from-downloading-stuff/d8df67cf-3e4f-4f8d-b72b-c12e5e537468
  4. Are there drawbacks if I move my win 10 from a HDD to an SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Are there drawbacks if I move my win 10 from a HDD to an SSD?: Title pretty self explanatory, I got an SSD, wondering if migrating my windows 10 somehow to my SSD instead of reinstalling everything is okay? Does it have some drawbacks/cons that Im unaware of? submitted by /u/ForemanBlackjack [link] [comments]...
  5. how can I stop this 2nd connection?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how can I stop this 2nd connection?: they're using my laptop against me[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-can-i-stop-this-2nd-connection/1c3102cc-5a35-40cf-b9e8-574ed667864d
  6. Just upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. My 2nd monitor is not working

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Just upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. My 2nd monitor is not working: My computer is a recently purchased Dell with the Intel Graphics HD 530 display adapter. The outputs are one HDMI port (Monitor 1) and one display D-port (Monitor 2). I am connected to a pair of identical Samsung monitors. The D-port is routed through a passive display...
  7. Can I Delete More Stuff from My Computer??

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can I Delete More Stuff from My Computer??: I already used disk cleanup to clean up my computer of junk. But is it possible to delete even more unnecessary files? I heard that after installing Win 10 that there are some installation files that can be further deleted. Do let me know. 65493
  8. Can I Clone A System Config From an Old Win 10 HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I Clone A System Config From an Old Win 10 HDD: I have a pretty shoddy old eMachines PC running Win 10 Home edition 32-bit. I had decided to replace it with something newer and quicker but before I could get around to doing so the machine has crashed and won't boot. When I boot the box I get nothing on the monitor no...
  9. How can I partition a 6TB HDD in Win 10?

How can I partition a 6TB HDD in Win 10?: I have a new system running under Win 10 on which I want to use an SSD as the boot drive with all my s/w and a WD 6TB Black HDD for my data. However, when I format the 6TB drive it shows up as two unallocated segments, one of 2048.00 GB and the other with 3541.03 GB. The...
  10. can i install win 10 from hdd to another hdd?

can i install win 10 from hdd to another hdd?: i just bought new hdd and i want to install win 10 on it. i have a working win 10 and win 10 iso, can i just install win 10 to my other hard drive without usb or dvd? 23799