Windows 10: How can I stop Windows 10 Pro from using up all my bandwidth randomly?

Discus and support How can I stop Windows 10 Pro from using up all my bandwidth randomly? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Every once in a while since the Anniversary Update, Windows 10 decides it's time to download, well, I don't know what. I'm on a mobile connection, so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mikohana, Sep 21, 2016.

1. mikohana Win User

How can I stop Windows 10 Pro from using up all my bandwidth randomly?

Every once in a while since the Anniversary Update, Windows 10 decides it's time to download, well, I don't know what. I'm on a mobile connection, so not only makes this the internet completely unusable (sites will barely load, videos not at all, online gaming - forget it), it also costs me a fortune if I don't notice it. It usually takes like 30-60 minutes, where the only thing I can do is disable the ethernet connection / shut the computer down, because the process that's doing the downloading is svchost.exe, so there's absolutely no way to cancel it any other way. And not only that, if I start the computer or enable the connection again, the downloading just re-starts. So essentially the system cannot be used until the weekend when I have a non-metered connection, and I have to switch to Debian during that time. WTF, Microsoft?

Now, just to be clear, I understand that Microsoft made the Home versions of Windows not usable because you cannot disable automatic updates. But I'm not running a home version of Windows, I'm running Pro. I have automatic updates disabled completely in the group policy editor, and that worked completely fine for me before the Anniversary Update. Every weekend I'd check for available updates and that's it. I also can't make Windows understand that I'm on a metered connection because I'm connected to a mobile router through ethernet. (Who thought that'd be a good idea?)

So, is there any way to solve this, i.e. stop Windows downloading huge amounts of data randomly, or do I have to switch to Linux completely? Screenshot in case anyone wants to see: https://i.imgur.com/CESPyHs.png

:)

mikohana, Sep 21, 2016
  2. Back From The Dead, Sep 21, 2016
  3. dalchina New Member

Hi, suggestions:
    Could be related to the frequent universal apps update (4 hourly). See Task scheduler, Microsoft, Windows, Windows Update.
    Are you seeing download or upload?

How can I stop Windows 10 Pro from using up all my bandwidth randomly? [​IMG]

Background updates:

Defender updates - presumably aren't delivered (if you use Defender) as you have updates off.

Personally, I'm not aware of any significant network traffic unless I instigate it - and I'm on ADSL.

Finally I'd appreciate it if you'd not use vulgar abbreviations which I wish I hadn't come to know.. thanks!

dalchina, Sep 21, 2016
  4. Bree New Member
    You can, but it is a registry fix that's needed. There's a Tutorial for that...

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

5. mikohana Win User
    The "Automatic App Update" task was indeed enabled, so I disabled it, thanks. Not sure which Windows-Apps it would have updated (I don't really have any installed except for the ones you can't remove), but I guess it can't hurt.

@Bree I found the tutorial, Jesus that was annoying but yeah I hope it worked. I still can't see why they wouldn't just provide a setting for it, people with mobile routers can't be that rare.

Well, now I'm hoping that at least one of those settings worked. I'll see if the issues are gone if it doesn't happen again in the next 1-2 weeks I guess.

Edit: Oh I just noticed, I had a new notification. "We've added some new features" or something like that. I clicked on it, and it shows a hole bunch of things ranging from 1.5 MB to 360 MB, like "retail demo content", "handwriting", "speech recognition", "graphic tools" etc. - Could that have been it?

mikohana, Sep 21, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    @Bree ...mikohana said
    so discussing metered connections is actually redundant, since that would also tend to inhibit automatic updates which mikohana has already stopped completely.

dalchina, Sep 21, 2016
  7. NovHak Win User

You can check what service svchost is hosting by going in the task manager, right-click the process an choose "go to services" or something like that (I have a non-english version of W10), which should show you what service it is. I'm controlling Windows Update by policy too, and it still works with the anniversary update, so maybe it's another service.

NovHak, Sep 21, 2016
  8. Hansa Win User
    You need to set that Wi-Fi connection as a Metered Connection. This will solve all the problems. Go to Settings / Network & Internet / Wi-Fi / Manage known networks. Select the Wi-Fi connection then Properties. Under Metered Connections, slide the switch to ON.

Hansa, Sep 22, 2016
  9. NovHak Win User
    Too bad the OP uses an Ethernet connection, heh. Luckily, a registry hack to define the Ethernet connection as a metered one has already been posted...

NovHak, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I stop Windows 10 Pro from using up all my bandwidth randomly? - Similar Threads - stop Pro using

2. Service Host Network Service uses up all my bandwidth

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Service Host Network Service uses up all my bandwidth: I've seen multiple threads about this issue but none have been as bad as mine so far and I can't seem to find a solution that works, I've tried everything that has been recommended to no avail. My service host has been running constantly for the last 5 months or so, using a...
  3. What is svchost.exe NetworkService -p, and how do I stop it using all my bandwidth? Mk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is svchost.exe NetworkService -p, and how do I stop it using all my bandwidth? Mk: Me podrian apoyar con este proceso, ya lo busque en Bing pero no es muy claro!!!. Gracias. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-svchostexe-networkservice-p-and-how-do-i/c7bbc5a0-677a-46de-befd-0781c97f3dee
  4. What is svchost.exe NetworkService -p, and how do I stop it using all my bandwidth? Mk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is svchost.exe NetworkService -p, and how do I stop it using all my bandwidth? Mk: Me podrian apoyar con este proceso, ya lo busque en Bing pero no es muy claro!!!. Gracias. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-svchostexe-networkservice-p-and-how-do-i/c7bbc5a0-677a-46de-befd-0781c97f3dee
  5. What is svchost.exe NetworkService -p, and how do I stop it using all my bandwidth? Mk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Windows 11 "System" using up all my homes Bandwidth.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 "System" using up all my homes Bandwidth.: In around the last month, ive noticed a spike in my household 4 users bandwidth and after some investigation found out it was my laptop. In the last 30 days it reports that the "system" alone has used up 1649 GB of data in that time. I've done numerous malware scans and...
  7. Windows 11 "System" using up all my homes Bandwidth.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 "System" using up all my homes Bandwidth.: In around the last month, ive noticed a spike in my household 4 users bandwidth and after some investigation found out it was my laptop. In the last 30 days it reports that the "system" alone has used up 1649 GB of data in that time. I've done numerous malware scans and...
  8. How do i prevent Backgrounddownload.exe from using up all my bandwidth?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do i prevent Backgrounddownload.exe from using up all my bandwidth?: Whenever i use my pc for something i always see in netbalancer that this Backgrounddownload.exe is using lots of data nonstop for hours, it lags online games and eats up my bandwidth, it seems its used my the visual studio, but i need it to stop, any idea how? submitted by...
  9. What is svchost.exe NetworkService -p, and how do I stop it using all my bandwidth?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is svchost.exe NetworkService -p, and how do I stop it using all my bandwidth?: I'm probably not the only one who is sick to the back teeth of Windows doing what it wants, when it wants, with no explanation. I have fairly low bandwidth, so when I'm working the last thing I need is for Windows to decide that now is a good time to hog my entire bandwidth...
  10. How to prevent windows from using my bandwidth?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to prevent windows from using my bandwidth?: Windows seems to be using my connection constantly for updates/telemetry or something else. Already did those: I checked windows update and it says i already have lastest updates installed. Already set a metered connection Disabled telemetry services Set group policy to...