Windows 10: How can I tell if my Repair Install was successful?

Discus and support How can I tell if my Repair Install was successful? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just performed a Repair Install and it appeared to complete successfully. However, the tutorial said I would lose all my custom icons. I started with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Nisko, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Nisko Win User

How can I tell if my Repair Install was successful?

I just performed a Repair Install and it appeared to complete successfully. However, the tutorial said I would lose all my custom icons. I started with version 1604 and now have version 1703 - but haven't lost any of my custom icons. This is fine by me if I was successful. Would someone please tell me if I was successful and that not losing custom icons is a feature of a Windows 10 Repair Install?

The reason I wanted to perform a Repair Install in the first place is that: When I would open "Computer" (for instance), it would take 10 to 20 seconds for the hourglass to turn into the arrow so I could begin working on a folder. I believed this was a glitch because I installed Windows 10 on top of Windows 7 - and have a number of issues since then. Most of them have been worked out and I didn't want to perform a clean install because I have too many programs installed. With all the custom settings and install time, this 72 year old might not be around when the work was completed.

:)

Nisko, Jul 10, 2017

2. How can i tell if my phone was factory unlocked or user unlocked?

@milkmanhunter

AFAIK there is no way that user can check unless this is done electronically to check status of each of the locks but I maybe wrong here. Screenshot from factory unlocked E72 although both Key Code Count and FBUS Count Code can be zeroed; Key Code Count
    would indicate if unlock code had been entered by user if not returned to zero:

How can I tell if my Repair Install was successful? [​IMG]

aspergerguy, Jul 10, 2017
  3. How can i tell if my phone was factory unlocked or user unlocked?

Hello ,

Just a quickie i was wondering how to tel if my nokia e72 is factory unlocked or user unlocked

Thankyou

S.

milkmanhunter, Jul 10, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, if you started with build 1607 and now have 1703, you haven't done an upgrade repair install - you've upgraded to the new build. The process is the same- whether it's a repair install or an upgrade depends on the build of the iso used.

That is, the iso used must have been the Creator's build, not that of the anniversary build (1607 / 14393).

If you had done a repair install, your build number would be 14393.
    See
    Windows key + R, winver

Presumably you got the iso for the upgrade using MS's media creation tool, which for a couple of months now has delivered the Creator's build (1703/15023).

The comment about the custom icons is specifically aimed at system dlls such as shell32.dll or imageres.dll where these files, which contain resources such as icons, have been modified. When these files are replaced by an upgrade style install, the custom icons expressed from them inevitably disappear.

If icons have been replaced by other means, they may remain.

dalchina, Jul 10, 2017
  5. Nisko Win User
    Thank you! Now, can you tell me how to get the ISO to perform a repair install?

Nisko, Jul 10, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    You can download the iso for free from MS as its normally available with the lates updates its simpler to download when needed. If you download now then in a few months try a repair the iso will be out of date Download Windows 10

Samuria, Jul 11, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    The Media Creation Tool downloaded from Microsoft just a few minutes ago is still generating build 15063.0 ISO file dated March 17, 2017.

NavyLCDR, Jul 11, 2017
  8. Nisko Win User

Would you mind pointing me to the correct file to download? I did use the Media Creation Tool - however, the page you sent me to looks like I should use it there to download Windows 10 (updated through the Creators Update, I hope). INHO, it isn't clearly identified and I don't want to go through that lengthy process again. The icons I was hoping wouldn't change are icons on the Desktop - of which, I've changed many. Also, should I check off that I want to upgrade this computer or repair this computer or install Windows 10 now or click to install Windows 10 on another PC? Thank you in advance!!

Nisko, Jul 11, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Download Windows 10

Click on the Download Tool Now button. Run the Media Creation Tool it downloads. Accept the license terms. Select the option to Create Installation Media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC. Click Next. Click Next again to accept the defaults that were provided for your computer. Select ISO file and Next. Pick a folder to save it in and click Save.

NavyLCDR, Jul 11, 2017
  10. Nisko Win User
    Thank you - downloading now!

Nisko, Jul 11, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    As you've already upgraded to 1703 using a downloaded iso, then the iso you used for that is 1703 as I pointed out, assuming you did what I think you did. (Upgrade, not repair install).

Therefore to perform a repair install of what you have, use the same iso you used to upgrade before. No need to download the same thing again.

But you shouldn't need to do a repair install having just upgraded....

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I tell if my Repair Install was successful? - Similar Threads - tell Repair Install

2. Can you tell me how i can download? Can you tell me how i can download

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you tell me how i can download? Can you tell me how i can download: Can you tell me how i can download? Can you tell me how i can download a desktop/screensaver with current, real time weather wallpaper for my desktop windows pc? free? Thank you?...
  3. How can I Repair my surface

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How can I Repair my surface: Hi i really need you help to repair my surface. And the store closed ,please tell me hoe to do my scremn keep show the lock and i try myself stillno work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-repair-my-surface/a2bfb932-4680-48d6-abaf-66b6d76ede00
  4. how can i tell if teamviewer is on my computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how can i tell if teamviewer is on my computer: how can i tell if teamviewer is on my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-can-i-tell-if-teamviewer-is-on-my-computer/20d02f1c-4e98-4ab9-b29c-92de5bc23ad6
  5. How can I tell how old my computer is?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I tell how old my computer is?: I think it is time to get a new computer. How can I tell how old my computer is? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-tell-how-old-my-computer-is/5600d3d4-93a5-4160-89a8-fd57e4289a59
  6. How to tell if Offline defender scan ran successfully?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to tell if Offline defender scan ran successfully?: I tried to run the "offline scan". It rebooted, looks like it did something, and then looks like it booted to normal windows. According to what I could find on the web, it should have put a log file in "C:\windows\Microsoft\Antimalware\Support" folder, but that folder...
  7. On my windows install usb drive, how can I tell windows version?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    On my windows install usb drive, how can I tell windows version?: Sometime ago I created a usb install drive for windows. It is either 1809 or 1803, how can I tell which one? 131023
  8. How can I tell if my cap lock is on?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I tell if my cap lock is on?: How can I tell if my cap lock is on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-tell-if-my-cap-lock-is-on/06932f7c-7380-4cac-b9d6-2a1f98fd3f3e
  9. how can i tell if i have net is installed?

how can i tell if i have net is installed?: how can i tell if i have net is installed on my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-can-i-tell-if-i-have-net-is-installed/e9fed7c7-e7cd-4815-8478-781b1fa1ae00
  10. How can I tell.....

How can I tell.....: How can i tell if I have actually upgraded to the free upgrade to 10 pro; or whether I am still running the last insider version of 10240? I used the dvd/usb tool from the microsoft store to transfer the iso for 10 from the media creation tool to setup files and ran the setup...