Windows 10: How can I trace a boot from power on to login?

Discus and support How can I trace a boot from power on to login? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; All of a sudden my SSD laptop went from 8 second boot times to 16 seconds for no reason at all. It is hanging for quite some time before the login... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by win10today, Mar 23, 2017.

1. How can I trace a boot from power on to login?

All of a sudden my SSD laptop went from 8 second boot times to 16 seconds for no reason at all. It is hanging for quite some time before the login screen so I want to see what is going on there. Is there a way to trace the boot to see where it is hanging?

:)

win10today, Mar 23, 2017
  2. MilenaRJ Win User

how can i trace a nokia 900? i lost my phone

how can I trace my nokia 900 smartphone? I lost it today, please need help asap...Thanks in advance.

MilenaRJ, Mar 23, 2017
  3. how can i trace a nokia 900? i lost my phone

Log into Windowsphone.com with the same Live ID the phone was setup with, click on "My Phone" and use the Find My Phone feature. If the phone is turned on, and still has your SIM in it, you should be able to see it's location on a Bing Map in the website.

ToddAllcock, Mar 23, 2017
  4. dencal Win User

How can I trace a boot from power on to login?

In Task Manager look in Startup.....In CCleaner click on Tools then Startup.....both give options to disable any unnecessary programs needed at startup.

dencal, Mar 23, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 23, 2017
  6. Golden Win User
    Golden, Mar 23, 2017
  7. black Win User
    I believe windows do some self test/maintenances on it's own during boot, my windows sometimes boot in 30 sec sometimes in 45 sec on HDD.

Some goes to my gaming laptop SSD 10~15 sec for no reason.

black, Mar 24, 2017
  8. Steve C Win User

Autoruns is a very useful utility to check or disable which programs / tasks / services run at boot.

Steve C, Mar 25, 2017
  9. Thank you everyone for all the help and suggestions. I've done as much as I could and decided to reinstall win10 and all is good. I'm a linux user mostly and just never have any problems with it, but I always find there is always something that will waist my time in windows lol. After I reinstalled windows, I tested boot times after every program I added just to make sure they are not delaying something and so far I'm back to 8 sec cold boot to desktop.

I always have windows updates turned off, but I remember I forgot to turn of Lenovo updates and it could have installed something that slowed things down.

win10today, Mar 25, 2017
  10. black Win User
    Well glad you solved it out the hard way *Smile
    But don't over think it, sooner or later, it will get slower by it self, it's just how Windows act after XP.
    Make a restore point every once in a while to save you the time reinstalling windows in case. could help.

black, Mar 25, 2017
  11. Great idea thanks. I almost forgot to create a restore point. Is there any trick to make sure the restore point I want never gets deleted or replaced?

win10today, Mar 25, 2017
  12. dencal Win User
    Do an exterior backup is the only fool proof way, Free Macrium software is a good option.

dencal, Mar 26, 2017
  13. How can I trace a boot from power on to login?

I'm glad your problem is fixed, but your original question was a good one. And the answer is "Yes". Sort of. If the slow down is in Windows (rather than something in the boot process before Windows starts), and is far enough along in Windows initialization such that Windows can start traces prior to the slowdown, you are in luck. Sort of.

Microsoft has a bunch of diagnostic tools available in its "Sysinternals Suite"
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../bb842062.aspx
    One of those utilities is Process Monitor which "shows real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity". It has an option called "Enable Boot Logging". This is explained (among other places, I assume) at a web site called "How To Enable System Boot Time Logging using Process Monitor Tool"
    How To Enable System Boot Time Logging using Process Monitor Tool

The only difficulty is that you are going to collect a lot of data. (I just now ran it for about 5 seconds and collected over 243,000 records. That was not during a boot, of course, but it gives an idea of the amount of data Process Monitor collects.) Then you get to do something with it. You might get lucky and see something obvious, but don't count on it. *Smile

pokeefe0001, Mar 26, 2017
  14. Do you know if the backup would also include the recovery part of the ssd on my laptop? I have never done a backup before but I would still want the factory win10 recovery section to be included just in case.

win10today, Mar 26, 2017
  15. pokeefe0001, thanks. If boot times slow down again, I will try and use those ms tools to see if I can figure it all out, but man, so many things load during boot that I could be there weeks just looking at all the info lol.

win10today, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How can I trace a boot from power on to login? - Similar Threads - trace boot power

2. How can I repair my boot from SSD?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I repair my boot from SSD?: After 4 months of trouble-free operation, my SSD suddenly refused to boot. Drive seems okay and files are visible by CMD from a recovery. Several files have been checked by copying to USB and investigating, and they are not corrupted. However, I cannot repair boot sector....
  3. How I can eliminate all traces of onedrive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How I can eliminate all traces of onedrive.: While setting up Windows 11 Microsoft upoladed confidential files without my consent.I deleted onedrive.I cannot stop windows from creating onedrive folders every time I update software.I cannot prevent Office from showing onedrive as a saveas option.Onedrive is driving me...
  4. How I can eliminate all traces of onedrive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How I can eliminate all traces of onedrive.: While setting up Windows 11 Microsoft upoladed confidential files without my consent.I deleted onedrive.I cannot stop windows from creating onedrive folders every time I update software.I cannot prevent Office from showing onedrive as a saveas option.Onedrive is driving me...
  5. Event Tracing - Kernel Power

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Event Tracing - Kernel Power: So my issue is likely either CPU RAM or GPU related, but ive replaced all 3 recently so my budget is out of hot swapping parts to test. Now i need to confirm my issue before replacing whatever need be. My CPU cooler was recently mounted not fully flush and was on an...
  6. Event Tracing - Kernel Power

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Event Tracing - Kernel Power: So my issue is likely either CPU RAM or GPU related, but ive replaced all 3 recently so my budget is out of hot swapping parts to test. Now i need to confirm my issue before replacing whatever need be. My CPU cooler was recently mounted not fully flush and was on an...
  7. how can i activate windows to trace and report resetting credential attacks?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how can i activate windows to trace and report resetting credential attacks?: Basically the problem is my credential are continuously being attacked, preventing me from being able to communicated {Freedom of communication, My outlook, my subscription to this site and many other site, always are asking me to resign in and also re verify my email...
  8. How to Time Boot & perform a Boot Trace in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Time Boot & perform a Boot Trace in Windows 10: [ATTACH]The Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit aka Windows ADK offers a performance analysis tool—xbootmgr—that […] This article How to Time Boot & perform a Boot Trace in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. How can i boot from a usb?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can i boot from a usb?: One day my computer stopped working, it would send me to the screen which offers to restart or advanced options. I tried recovery and resetting the drives on the computer. Since there wasn’t anything I couldn’t recover from the pc I decided i would boot from a usb using the...
  10. How Can I stop USB Drive From Powering Down?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How Can I stop USB Drive From Powering Down?: I know, I went to the USB HUBS and told windows to stop powering down the drive in my new SATA III to USB 3 Dock. However, it stops spinning after a few minutes anyway. Is there anything else I can do? It is a Sabrent EC-DFFN if it matters and the drive is a new 4TB Toshiba...