Windows 10: How can System Restore Error 0x80070005 be avoided?

Discus and support How can System Restore Error 0x80070005 be avoided? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm sure many of us have run into this error:- [img] Apparently the only way to avoid this is to disable the Self Defence Mechanisms of your AV... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Hairy Scot, Dec 31, 2016.

1. How can System Restore Error 0x80070005 be avoided?

I'm sure many of us have run into this error:-

How can System Restore Error 0x80070005 be avoided? [​IMG]

Apparently the only way to avoid this is to disable the Self Defence Mechanisms of your AV and/or anti-malware software.
    (In my case, aVast and MBAM.)
    Now this is fine if you're kicking off the recovery from Windows, but how do you address this if you're in a situation where you cannot get into Windows?
    Since it is not advisable to run AV and/or anti-malware software with SDM disabled it would seem we have a catch 22 situation.

Does anyone have an answer?

:)

Hairy Scot, Dec 31, 2016
  2. Liezl Fal Win User
    Liezl Fal, Dec 31, 2016
  3. System Restore Error: 0x80070005

How do I fix "system restore access denied, error 0x80070005"

Partsman23, Dec 31, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

How can System Restore Error 0x80070005 be avoided?

Hi, you might try running system restore from outside Windows... boot from a Win 10 install medium, navigate to troubleshooting, advanced options and start system restore from there.
    Approximate guide in 2nd part:
    How to Create and Use a Recovery Drive or System Repair Disc in Windows 8 or 10

It can be difficult to impossible to resolve this.. I had an error message when I tried to run system restore a few months back- different to yours- and with only a couple of finds on the net. No resolution. I tried more recently, and restore worked.

This is another reason why we repeatedly encourage people to use disk imaging routinely. So many advantages.

dalchina, Dec 31, 2016
  5. Hi Dalchina,

Sorry I did not provide the full picture behind my opening post.
    The reason the error occurs is because System Restore cannot co-exist with the SDMs (self defence mechanisms) of anti-virus and anti-malware products like aVast or MBAM.
    The only way around this is to disable the SDMs before attempting the restore, which is all well and good if you can get into your system to disable the necessary components, but there is no way to do that if you're going in from Advanced Options in the Windows troubleshooter, so there is no help if you're trying to perform a system restore on a system that won't boot up.

As you rightly say, the best way is to use a backup/restore application and to take daily backups and/or a continuous backup process that supports point of time recoveries. However there are costs involved in that so most people will fall back to Windows features like System Restore and/or File History.
    It's just a pity that System Restore does not fit well with AV products.

Hairy Scot, Jan 1, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    I think this is pretty rare. I have used it on many devices with avs ranging from Norton, Defender, avast and avira and never once had an issue and it is not a commonly reported user issue. I think you have just been unlucky. I fully concur with image backup approach.

cereberus, Jan 1, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    I'm not sure if your question is theoretical or you actually have an unbootable PC on which system restore fails - if you run system restore offline (Windows not active) it is less obvious as to why installed AV would pose a problem.

Anyway, should that be the case you have 3 possible ways forward:
    1. Restore the backup copy of the registry (you need to boot from an external medium).
    2. Create a partition image of C: then clean install Windows. Use the appropriate Laplink product (££s) and your disk image to 'reinstall' your programs and apply settings.
    3. Simply clean install.

dalchina, Jan 1, 2017
  8. Borg 386 Win User

I've noticed the same problem on machines running Norton. This is due to the tamper protection setting Norton has. I found that in order to do a restore, you have to disable tamper protection & then it will restore with no problems. Perhaps some of the other AV's now have this & turning off that setting may fix the problem.

Borg 386, Jan 1, 2017
  9. traindit Win User
    traindit, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How can System Restore Error 0x80070005 be avoided? - Similar Threads - System Restore Error

2. System Restore Error 0x80070005

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore Error 0x80070005: I getting the BSoD I have a HP Notebook 15-dy1023dxwith Windows 10. What I can tell you before the issue happen.It was trying to update Windows 11. It was giving a error updating to Windows 11HP was trying to update some drives. It told me I needed to reset my computer to...
  3. System Restore Error 0x80070005

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore Error 0x80070005: I getting the BSoD I have a HP Notebook 15-dy1023dxwith Windows 10. What I can tell you before the issue happen.It was trying to update Windows 11. It was giving a error updating to Windows 11HP was trying to update some drives. It told me I needed to reset my computer to...
  4. System Restore Error 0x80070005

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Cannot system restore due to error 0x80070005

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot system restore due to error 0x80070005: Windows 10 Home, Malwarebytes fully updated. Tried several times to system restore with error 0x80070005 Permanently turned off Defender and Tamper. Tried in SafeMode. Malwarebytes disabled Hidden files are hidden Reason for restore, accidentally uninstalled a wrong...
  6. System Restore Failed - (0x80070005)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore Failed - (0x80070005): I have accidentally removed some files and programs. Although I have done a Macrium back-up a month ago to an external drive, and this should teach me to do it more often. I have tried to do a System Restore to a point 5 days ago. Although I have disabled "windows defender"...
  7. System restore failed error 0x80070005

System restore failed error 0x80070005: Hello. I tried to perform a system restore after installing a bad driver. But I got this message at the end of the process: "System restore did not complete successfully" Followed by text and the error code 0x80070005. I learned that I need to set the system restore...
  8. system restore 0x80070005

system restore 0x80070005: I know there are many threads about this, I'm still looking and have been searching the internets in earnest. But I'm hoping if I describe the things that influence the outcome somebody may have an idea. 1)Panda Free anti virus was once installed, but no longer. I discovered...
  9. system restore Error 0x80070005

system restore Error 0x80070005: I attempted a system restore but the following error appeared: =0X80070005 . How can you fix it? *Mad 101969
  10. System Restore Fails Error 0x80070005

System Restore Fails Error 0x80070005: So I try to restore any point and get an error: [img] I have turned off Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware. I also did a sfc /scannow with no integrity violations. Running Windows 10 Pro 64bit... Any suggestions? 21204
Tags: