Windows 10: How diagnose and/or fix internittant hang

Discus and support How diagnose and/or fix internittant hang in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I asked this question months ago, but I have new information so I'm going to treat it as a new problem and ask again. Every day or 2 (but never more... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pokeefe0001, May 28, 2016.

1. How diagnose and/or fix internittant hang

I asked this question months ago, but I have new information so I'm going to treat it as a new problem and ask again.

Every day or 2 (but never more than once a day) I experience an odd hang on my desktop where currently running programs continue to run but I cannot start any new programs. For instance, my email client - Thunderbird - continues working. If my browser is running it mostly continues working (although see exception below). But clicking on a desktop icon does nothing. The start menu and first level of sub-menus display, but clicking anything (including the various power options) does nothing. Ctrl-Alt-Del is ignored. If I happen to select a Youtube video in my browser I get a "If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device" message.

At that point I usually wait a few minutes and then force a power off, restart, and everything works fine.

This problem has been happening both before and after a clean reinstall of Win10.

The problem happened this morning, and I was able to gather some new information.
    • It started while I was trying to change a Google search argument in my browser. The browser hung up ("Not responding") for a while - maybe 30 seconds to a minute and then woke up. So I search for a Youtube video and got the message I mentioned above.
    • I had other things to do so I walked away from my PC for about 15 minutes. Everything was working when I returned.

The Reliability History showed that during the hang my PC was (yet again!) trying to install .Net Native Framework Package 1.2.23205.0 and Advertising SDK for XAML. (There are a number of posts about this problem, but I haven's seen a solution that I'm brave enough to try. Maybe I'll get braver.)

The event log showed the following Application and System events either during or immediately following the hang:
    Log Name: Application
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell
    Date: 5/28/2016 11:06:10 AM
    Event ID: 5973
    Task Category: (5973)
    Level: Error
    Keywords:
    User: PUGET-116877\Patrick
    Computer: Puget-116877
    Description:
    Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI failed with error: The app didn't start in the required time. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell" Guid="{315A8872-923E-4EA2-9889-33CD4754BF64}" />
    <EventID>5973</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>5973</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x2000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-05-28T18:06:10.745271700Z" />
    <EventRecordID>2888</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="2520" ThreadID="2420" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Puget-116877</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-4015337533-3340816402-3183025308-1001" />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="AppId">Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI</Data>
    <Data Name="ErrorCode">-2144927142</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
    Date: 5/28/2016 11:07:00 AM
    Event ID: 10001
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: PUGET-116877\Patrick
    Computer: Puget-116877
    Description:
    Unable to start a DCOM Server: CortanaUI.AppXtpp90jhw9p0njjb85kvhxpppgrqfp117.mca as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error:
    "31"
    Happened while starting this command:
    "C:\Windows\system32\backgroundTaskHost.exe" -ServerName:CortanaUI.AppXy7vb4pc2dr3kc93kfc509b1d0arkfb2x.mca
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">10001</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-05-28T18:07:00.597195100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>2696</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="436" ThreadID="9512" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Puget-116877</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-4015337533-3340816402-3183025308-1001" />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">"C:\Windows\system32\backgroundTaskHost.exe" -ServerName:CortanaUI.AppXy7vb4pc2dr3kc93kfc509b1d0arkfb2x.mca</Data>
    <Data Name="param2">31</Data>
    <Data Name="param3">CortanaUI.AppXtpp90jhw9p0njjb85kvhxpppgrqfp117.mca</Data>
    <Data Name="param4">Unavailable</Data>
    <Data Name="param5">Unavailable</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

I don't know if those represent a cause or a victim, but I don't use Cortana so don't care how much trouble it has unless its problem effect the integrity of the PC.

Any ideas what I can do to correct or avoid this problem?

:)

pokeefe0001, May 28, 2016

2. Windows 10

after windows 10 I receive Bad Pool Header and it hangs. How do I diagnose?

Paul Wellman, May 28, 2016
  3. Linney Win User
    need help to find diagnose and fix random lock-ups/hangs in windows 10

Perhaps from a Clean Install of Windows 7 you can come through the upgrades and have a better functioning Windows 10?

Microsoft Will Now Let Windows 10 Upgraders Use Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 Product Key to Activate

Microsoft Will Now Let Windows 10 Upgraders Use Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 Product Key to Activate - Thurrott.com

Clean Install Windows 10

Clean Install Windows 10

Perhaps your machine would have benefitted from a Clean Install of Windows 10? That way it would not have to carry across the excess baggage from earlier Windows.

A Clean Install of Windows 10

[Legacy] A Clean Install of Windows 10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Linney, May 28, 2016
Thema:

How diagnose and/or fix internittant hang

1. How diagnose and/or fix internittant hang - Similar Threads - diagnose fix internittant

2. How to fix hang while playing Minecraft ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to fix hang while playing Minecraft ?: I had been playing Minecraft for 6 months but gave up playing it because of hang. I use TLauncher to play Minecraft, I tried different types of settings, solutions and resets. But whenever I play Minecraft in a fresh window, A few days later it hangs. It even decreases fps...
  3. Diagnosing Windows 11 Hangs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Diagnosing Windows 11 Hangs: Hi friends!Upgraded to Windows 11 a few days ago and am having stability issues. I'm looking for help identifying & resolving my issue.Specifically, my system becomes completely unresponsive while streaming video both Twitch and YouTube via Firefox. This has happened a...
  4. Diagnosing Windows 11 Hangs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Diagnosing Windows 11 Hangs: Hi friends!Upgraded to Windows 11 a few days ago and am having stability issues. I'm looking for help identifying & resolving my issue.Specifically, my system becomes completely unresponsive while streaming video both Twitch and YouTube via Firefox. This has happened a...
  5. Application Hang fix?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Application Hang fix?: [ATTACH] No matter what I do, I seem to freeze randomly when I play R6 Siege, it's not the game. Also my specs are not the issue. It could be a faulty hardware issue, but im not sure. Is this crash report helpful in any way at finding the cause of the issue?...
  6. How to fix hanging or crashing apps

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to fix hanging or crashing apps: fix hanging crashing apps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-hanging-or-crashing-apps/017f42e1-525d-4d0a-ab8f-df718a8ff5eb
  7. How to Diagnose and Fix an Overheating Laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to Diagnose and Fix an Overheating Laptop: I found a website trying to deliver the answer, is there anything else I can do? 3 Key Tips and Solutions: How to Diagnose and Fix an Overheating Laptop. Can you help me?...
  8. How to fix hanging/crashing apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to fix hanging/crashing apps: Since the new Windows 10 update (February 2019), my computer has been gradually slowing to a crawl. I used to be able to run google chrome, Spotify, Discord, and maybe a game at the same time with little to no slowdown. This past week, even running two of those programs at...
  9. How to diagnose a hangproblem

in Browsers and Email
    How to diagnose a hangproblem: I have an occasional wacko problem involving FireFox and VeraCrypt (or maybe any long running command). I have no idea how to debug this. I have a .bat file containing a VeraCrypt Mount command. The command prompts for a password, then displays a "This may take a while" type...
  10. How to Fix Hangings or Freezes on Startup?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to Fix Hangings or Freezes on Startup?: I have been experiencing hanging or freezes (see the picture below) on my computer when it starts up. What I often do is to force a shutdown thru the "Power" button (once or sometimes twice) so that the computer may start up normally. Can anybody tell me what the problem...