Windows 10: How did account "defaultuser0" get created? Why?

Discus and support How did account "defaultuser0" get created? Why? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I notice that there's an account called "defaultuser0" on my Win 10 computer. It's not available at the login screen. It does not show up in the User... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by margrave55, Aug 8, 2017.

1. How did account "defaultuser0" get created? Why?

I notice that there's an account called "defaultuser0" on my Win 10 computer.
    It's not available at the login screen.
    It does not show up in the User Accounts control panel.
    But it does show up in file/folder permissions. For example, running command line "icacls" on the Desktop folder gives this:
    Code: Desktop BUILTIN\AdministratorsHow did account "defaultuser0" get created? Why? :(OI)(CI)(F) NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVEHow did account "defaultuser0" get created? Why? :(OI)(CI)(RX) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMHow did account "defaultuser0" get created? Why? :(OI)(CI)(F) BRUCEDELL\defaultuser0How did account "defaultuser0" get created? Why? :(OI)(CI)(D,DC) BRUCEDELL\userAHow did account "defaultuser0" get created? Why? :(OI)(CI)(F) BRUCEDELL\userBHow did account "defaultuser0" get created? Why? :(OI)(CI)(F) BRUCEDELL\userAHow did account "defaultuser0" get created? Why? :(OI)(CI)(IO)(DE,DC)[/quote] What's up with this rogue/phantom account?

:)

margrave55, Aug 8, 2017
  2. 93tid Win User

How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

My favourite is MP3Tag, google it.

93tid, Aug 8, 2017
  3. Bought a pc with widows 10 - cant get in.

I recommend you do your own Factory Restore in order to get the equivalent of a brand new PC, without any flaws or account problems.

Frederik Long, Aug 8, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

How did account "defaultuser0" get created? Why?

Defaultuser0 is a system user profile used when Windows is setting up, before any user accounts have been created. It should and usually does disappear after first reboot after installation. If the profile folder remains in Users folder, it's safe to manually delete it.

Kari, Aug 8, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    You can also delete the user with net user defaultuser0 /delete and delete from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\

There is a long thread (more than a year) about this bug in the link below and it seems it isn't resolved yet. I certainly still get it on clean install - no particular pattern except some machines do it more often than others.

created on clean install of Anniversary Update - Microsoft Community

It doesn't really matter as you can't use defaultuser0 credentials anyway but it is certainly sloppy.

lx07, Aug 8, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    It is most definitely not a bug.

Windows 10 is fully functional when OOBE (Windows Welcome) starts after installation. Because built-in admin account is disabled by default, and at start of OOBE user has not yet created the initial user profile, a temporary user profile is needed for OOBE to work. That temporary profile is defaultuser0.

As I mentioned, in a normal, default clean install it will be automatically removed after first restart after the installation has finished.

You most definitely can use it. In OOBE, before you have created the first local user account, Windows 10 signs you in with defaultuser0 account allowing full access to Windows. You can install programs, surf the net, change settings, anything you want to while being signed in with defaultuser0 account, never creating any other user accounts.

In this post you can see a presentation that explains it a bit more: Tips and tricks - You saw it first on TenForums! Solved - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums

I repeat: defaultuser0 is, although temporary, an important system account. It is absolutely not a bug nor is it created because of a bug.

Kari, Aug 8, 2017
  7. lx07 Win User
    The bug is it isn't always deleted. If it is temporary profile it should be deleted (not only from C:\Users but from net user, registry etc) after your clean install completes. If it was meant to remain it would always remain but clearly this isn't the case.

No-one know why it isn't always deleted although there is much speculation.

lx07, Aug 8, 2017
  8. How did account "defaultuser0" get created? Why?

I've deleted the defaultuser0 account, following instructions found here and elsewhere.

Thanks for the help.

margrave55, Aug 8, 2017
  9. lx07 Win User
    Out of interest, what did you do?

I delete C:\Users\defaultuser0 directory and run net user defaultuser0 /delete

I'm not sure whether deleting all the other stuff is required.

It would be certainly interesting if MS came up with an answer but apart from a vague commitment to it being fixed in April 2017 release (it was not) we heard nothing.

lx07, Aug 8, 2017
  10. mojo13 Win User
    I imaged a classroom of 30 computers with the same image. Two of the computers had the defaultuser0 come up on the sign in screen. The others did not. Deleting the user did not work. The only thing that did was imaging them again.

mojo13, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How did account "defaultuser0" get created? Why?

1. How did account "defaultuser0" get created? Why? - Similar Threads - did account defaultuser0

2. How to get out of defaultuser0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get out of defaultuser0: Hello, I have a problem with my pc. When I start my computer it always take for ever to load and when it does I getting into the defaultuser0 account and I tried every thing like trying password reset wizard it doesn’t work so I try to go into trouble shot advanced options,...
  3. How to get out of defaultuser0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get out of defaultuser0: Hello, I have a problem with my pc. When I start my computer it always take for ever to load and when it does I getting into the defaultuser0 account and I tried every thing like trying password reset wizard it doesn’t work so I try to go into trouble shot advanced options,...
  4. Defaultuser0

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Defaultuser0: I've just resetted my pc, and i created a user accountnot adminstrative with out realising defaultiser0 was there. I tried to delete it, change the password... but none of them worked it kept saying access denied. And i can't use the built in hidden admin account because i...
  5. Defaultuser0

Defaultuser0: I've just resetted my pc, and i created a user accountnot adminstrative with out realising defaultiser0 was there. I tried to delete it, change the password... but none of them worked it kept saying access denied. And i can't use the built in hidden admin account because i...
  6. Defaultuser0

Defaultuser0: Hi, I recently did a full clean on my lenovo laptop and it removed my profile and replaced it with defaultuser0. I've looked at the way to fix this and none are working. Restarting it several times did not work, doing the full removal did not work and when I try the safemode...
  7. Why am I logged to defaultuser0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why am I logged to defaultuser0: Hello I just finished install windows 11 dev channel and then once I complete there a oobe but no prompt for account then it just log me in this weird account called defaultuser0 I remember there a password but you can’t enter but why am I logged into this it just straight up...
  8. Why am I logged to defaultuser0

Why am I logged to defaultuser0: Hello I just finished install windows 11 dev channel and then once I complete there a oobe but no prompt for account then it just log me in this weird account called defaultuser0 I remember there a password but you can’t enter but why am I logged into this it just straight up...
  9. defaultuser0

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    defaultuser0: Admin How do I clear the hacker configuration? I've been running a lot of windows all the time. 7 months ago I deleted the disk several times but the original configuration is still there. Please guide me. 170707
  10. Account I did not create

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Account I did not create: I have discovered that a Microsoft account has been established in my name and subscriptions paid for using my bosses credit card. This is ruining my life!!!!!! How do I get rid of it? How do I release my device from the account and shut it down?? I have called "Microsoft"...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fix how did account defaultuser0 get created

2. creating new account makes a defaultuser0

3. defaultuser0 created why?

4. how did account defaultuser0 get reated,
  5. how to fix am dell desktop that come up with defaultuser0 need password