Windows 10: How did I manage to shut off Windows Updates?

Discus and support How did I manage to shut off Windows Updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I finally upgraded my Windows 8.1 Pro desktop to Windows 10. The install went quickly and well. As I was wandering through some of the numerous... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by johnpd, Jun 26, 2016.

1. johnpd Win User

How did I manage to shut off Windows Updates?

I finally upgraded my Windows 8.1 Pro desktop to Windows 10. The install went quickly and well. As I was wandering through some of the numerous settings I had done on my other Win 10 computers that I wanted to also apply to this one, I noticed that the desktop had the "Advanced options" > "Choose how updates are installed" under the Windows Update settings set to "Never check for updates". That is how I had Windows 8.1 configured but I did not think that this option was available for Windows 10. I have no idea how Windows 10 kept this setting but it might be a good thing. I opened Group Policy Editor and looked at the "Configure Automatic Updates" setting and it was not configured so where this is set, I don't know.

JohnD

:)

johnpd, Jun 26, 2016

2. Cortana Will Not Turn off.

Hi Joey,

I managed to turn Cortana off eventually but I can't remember how I did it. I think I kept searching Google and shut her down...so there is hope.

danielromaneix, Jun 26, 2016
  3. shutting down computer

I recently installed Windows 10 and since then I have to manually turn the power off. I open the menu and select power and select shut down from the menu windows program shuts down but I have to manually turn the power off, is there a place to in the
    settings to fix this? I did try power management with no results. Thank you.

I recently installed Windows 10 and since have had to manually shut my desk top dow I open the menu and select power and select shut down from the menu windows program shuts but I have to manually turn the power off.

MarkFlitton, Jun 26, 2016
  4. Olive Win User

If you have Windows 10 Pro, go the group policy editor: Control Panel -> Administrative tools -> Group policy editor -> Software parameter -> Administration model -> Windows components -> Windows update (I have the French version, the menu might not say exactly this). You will find that parameters are by default not configured; meaning they are not managed by the group policy editor. You can configure them by double clicking on them. I think the parameter you want is named something like "Configuration of the automatic updates". You will have an intuitive dialog box if you double click on them.

Olive, Jun 26, 2016
  5. johnpd Win User
    There is nothing configured in there. What I don't understand is how Windows Update got set to "Never check for updates". This is what I had for Windows 8, but with the other systems I upgraded, everything defaulted to "Automatic" after the initial install.

JohnD

johnpd, Jun 26, 2016
  6. Olive Win User
    Microsoft has made more difficult to disable updates, this is why you don't have the settings in the usual place. You can still configure this in the Group policy editor via the method I have described if you have the Pro version. It is normal that nothing is configured by default. You can configure them if you double click on them. There is no other place where you can configure them if that is your question.

Updated: Sorry, I misread your post. You actually have the update disabled... interesting. That's not normally possible via a clean install. Could it be that Windows have retained the setting you had on Windows 8? Can you try to configure them as enabled in the group policy editor, reboot and see what happen. Normally the group policy editor will override other settings. So you may also use that to force enable the update.

Olive, Jun 26, 2016
  7. When you remove policies, it should reset WU, but it also resets some other settings.

Run CMD as admin and copy/paste:

reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies" /f
    reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost" /f
    reg delete "HKCU\Software\Policies" /f
    reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Policies" /f
    reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies" /f
    reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsStore\WindowsUpdate" /f
    reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost" /f
    reg delete "HKLM\Software\Policies" /f
    reg delete "HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Policies" /f
    reg delete "HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies" /f
    reg delete "HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsStore\WindowsUpdate" /f
    reg delete "HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Policies" /f

TairikuOkami, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How did I manage to shut off Windows Updates? - Similar Threads - did manage shut

2. How to shut off microsoft updates ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to shut off microsoft updates ?: every week I go thru this. Windows does updates, then all the machines are broken. Takes me the rest of the week to fix them all, how do we stop windows updates ?I have 40 machines that I have to repair every time windows does updates.How do we fix this ?...
  3. How to shut off microsoft updates ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to shut off microsoft updates ?: every week I go thru this. Windows does updates, then all the machines are broken. Takes me the rest of the week to fix them all, how do we stop windows updates ?I have 40 machines that I have to repair every time windows does updates.How do we fix this ?...
  4. How to shut off microsoft updates ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to shut off windows updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to shut off windows updates: I have asked this question hundreds of times, with no solution.So, I have disabled windows update services, even removed WSUS to break windows updates. Windows continues to update.I don't think Microsoft understand how crippling windows updates makes machines. I bought an...
  6. How to shut off windows updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to shut off windows updates: I have asked this question hundreds of times, with no solution.So, I have disabled windows update services, even removed WSUS to break windows updates. Windows continues to update.I don't think Microsoft understand how crippling windows updates makes machines. I bought an...
  7. Update and restart and update and shut down... but I just did

Update and restart and update and shut down... but I just did: I just updated today and now my computer shows thisHow do I stop it from saying this I have already hit both update and restart and update and shut down multiple times and it does not change. What do I do?...
  8. Shut off Windows Updates

Shut off Windows Updates: I have had It with the wondows updates. When they install themselves they turn on a bunch of setting they turn off tirned off because they crash my machine. The cause a lot of problems I wasn’t having before or the updates cause my computer to crash. Worst yet when I jump...
  9. Update and shut off

Update and shut off: Hi I'm hamza I have problem last night I was updating my laptop windows 1803 to 1903 everything is ok but when the update start its freeze and still on 0% then my laptop shutdown automatically after shutdown I turn it on and it says "undoing changes made to your computer"...
  10. Did shut windows 10 computer off while updating...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Did shut windows 10 computer off while updating...: After i switched on my pc, this update started and it was saying its going to take several minutes...while updating i switched it off, i immediately switched it on after realising the mistake. The updating continued when it came on...not long after this my battery got drained...