Windows 10: How do get rid of photograph that appears when my screen is "off"?

Discus and support How do get rid of photograph that appears when my screen is "off"? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello How do I get that photograph when my screen is supposedly off to disappear. I don't mind seeing it for 30 seconds but it is wasting energy /... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ship69, Jan 3, 2017.

1. ship69 Win User

How do get rid of photograph that appears when my screen is "off"?

Hello

How do I get that photograph when my screen is supposedly off to disappear.
    I don't mind seeing it for 30 seconds but it is wasting energy / burning holes in my screen. And I can't turn off my screen manually because my screen takes about 5 minutes to warm up. (I know, I probably need a new screen but I can't afford one just yet!)

J

PS Technically it's not a "lock screen" because there is no password lock on it. It disappears when I remove my mouse.

:)

ship69, Jan 3, 2017
  2. Nadine G Win User

how do i get rid of the french that appears on some of my windows and change it to english?

This solved my problem. Thank You.

Nadine G, Jan 3, 2017
  3. how do i get rid of the picture that appears on windows 10 screen at boot

how to rid a start up logo

thx

why charge

Bernard Klein, Jan 3, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

There was a problem with the old interlaced CRT monitors burning the phosphorus coating which the screensavers helped prevent. The newer non-interlaced CRT monitors were much better in preventing burn-in but the use of screensavers didn't go away. The LCD Flat Panel monitors usually don't have the problem but I've heard the Plasma type does, haven't seen one yet. The warm-up time mentioned does suggest you have a CRT monitor, or maybe a it's CRT flat-screen as LCD screens are pretty much instant.

Have you checked Control Panel, Power Options for settings of the display?

Berton, Jan 4, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    @ship69 Berton may be correct because you seem to have an older CRT. But based on what you said (highlighted in red), take a look at this in Device Manager. UNCHECK the box and apply. You may need to restart, I'm not sure. Use the keyboard to wake up the monitor. This may not help at all, but worth a try. TC

How do get rid of photograph that appears when my screen is "off"? [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Jan 4, 2017
  6. ship69 Win User
    1. My screen is a Samsung SyncMaster 244T i.e. a TFT monitor.

2. I went to:
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings
    ...where I have set the "Turn off display" to 3 Minutes.
    Unfortunately when it turns of the display this stupid image comes up.

Cheers

J

ship69, Jan 4, 2017
  7. ship69 Win User
    I think you miss my point. I *want* wiggling my mouse to wake up my computer.
    What I don't want is for a stupid bright photogrpahy to be on my screen when my screen is supposed to be off.
    Not that if Windows absolutely insists on putting an image up, please may I put a completely black image instead?

Cheers

J

ship69, Jan 4, 2017
  8. f14tomcat Win User

Sorry guy. You said it goes away when you remove the mouse....just trying to isolate what it might be.

f14tomcat, Jan 4, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    Could you post this image so we can see? You seem to be saying something else was displaying and then this image pops up after 3 minutes. May we see it?

f14tomcat, Jan 4, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Are you sure it's Windows doing it, and not some feature built into your monitor? A default picture in the absence of a signal?

The manual for the Samsung 244T can be downloaded here: Samsung 244T

11. f14tomcat Win User
    Thank you, Bree. That's why I wanted to see the image that popped up. Maybe that's not possible.

f14tomcat, Jan 4, 2017
  12. ship69 Win User
    I'm pretty sure it is an image that come from Windows 10. I don't mind it being there for a minute or two, but I want it to disappear after that, to a blank/black screen if I leave everything on e.g. over-night.

ship69, Jan 4, 2017
  13. mrgeek Win User

That's the standard Windows 10 start up screen. If it disappears after you hit the mouse, it's because you don't have a password enabled to go to the Lock screen. The normal is that you move your mouse or hit ctrl and it goes from this screen to screen where you enter your password.
    PS; if this picture annoys you, you can change it by going to Action Center/Personalization/Lock screen. Here, you can change the picture to what you want. If you want nothing, create a picture with a solid background and choose it using the Picture drop down menu. Here's my customized start screen background image showing that you can easily change it.

mrgeek, Jan 4, 2017
  14. ship69 Win User
    Thanks I have now created a 100% black image and done that.

G*D I am irritated though. I hate hate hate Microsoft. I mean while the heck can't "turn off screen" mean turn the effin screen off. Why is it always so comlicated? Why can't they just "do what it says on the tin"? Why do they treat us like morons? Why can't we even turn our screens of when we want to? Doesn't anyone give a damn about the environment? It's like all of us are being forced to eat a disgusting fully branded Big Mac with french fries, just to get a glass of water. AAAARRRGGGHHHH!

ship69, Jan 4, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    It still may be Samsung that's at fault, not Microsoft. Your monitor may just be storing the last frame it received from Windows and ignoring the 'turn off' signal. Does the clock change time? If not it's likely the image is being stored in a frame buffer on your monitor.

Thema:

1. How do get rid of photograph that appears when my screen is "off"? - Similar Threads - rid photograph appears

2. How do i get rid of this line on my screen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i get rid of this line on my screen?: I'm not sure if the image has uploaded but there is a thin white line going across my screen and I'm not sure how to get rid of it. I've restarted my laptop and I haven't even touched it for the past couple of weeks....
  3. How do i get rid of this line on my screen?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i get rid of this line on my screen?: I'm not sure if the image has uploaded but there is a thin white line going across my screen and I'm not sure how to get rid of it. I've restarted my laptop and I haven't even touched it for the past couple of weeks....
  4. How do I get rid of this screen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get rid of this screen?: I got this screen yesterday. It’s not a monitor problem, I checked it. I can’t open task manager. I’ve read this could be a windows 11 issue. Via usb stick I tried to delete the latest windows update but it fails. What can I do? I can still do something in power shell, maybe...
  5. How do I get rid of this screen?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get rid of this screen?: I got this screen yesterday. It’s not a monitor problem, I checked it. I can’t open task manager. I’ve read this could be a windows 11 issue. Via usb stick I tried to delete the latest windows update but it fails. What can I do? I can still do something in power shell, maybe...
  6. How do I get rid of this on my screen.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I get rid of this on my screen.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Mememanstonks_69 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ggopek/how_do_i_get_rid_of_this_on_my_screen/
  7. How do I get rid of Accuweather box appearing on screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I get rid of Accuweather box appearing on screen: At regular intervals, I get a box from Accuweather in the lower right-hand corner of my screen inviting me to click through and view tomorrow's weather. It's annoying. But I can't get rid of it because I can't figure out what it is. It's not a pop up, I don't think, because...
  8. How do I get rid of an image that appears behind my cursor?

How do I get rid of an image that appears behind my cursor?: There's a floating image appearing behind my cursor. How do I get rid of this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-rid-of-an-image-that-appears-behind/23dc8733-4fc7-4b3d-9f57-8cea899fb604
  9. how do i get rid of these apps on my screen???

how do i get rid of these apps on my screen???: [ATTACH]how the heck do I get these apps of my screen without deleting them https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-get-rid-of-these-apps-on-my-screen/c0873c00-2298-4e01-87a4-067886410d98
  10. How do i get rid of the music menu that appears when i pause?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do i get rid of the music menu that appears when i pause?: Hi, I have a keyboard with a volume dial and skip buttons on it... when i change either of these i get this menu that stays for about 10 seconds and is really annoying http://image.prntscr.com/image/9dd1c...43150154a4.png any way to disable it? 81744