Windows 10: How do I accomplish renaming bulky indexed files to smaller number?

Discus and support How do I accomplish renaming bulky indexed files to smaller number? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; How do I accomplish renaming bulky indexed files to its smaller index number, with any kind of tools ? That is to rename 1.c -> 0.c 2.c -> 1.c... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by budi, Dec 1, 2017.

1. budi Win User

How do I accomplish renaming bulky indexed files to smaller number?

How do I accomplish renaming bulky indexed files to its smaller index number, with any kind of tools ?
    That is to rename

1.c -> 0.c
    2.c -> 1.c
    7.c -> 6.c
    8.c -> 7.c
    9.c -> 8.c
    (in large numbers of files.) Thank so much in advance

:)

budi, Dec 1, 2017

2. Give name and merge people in Windows 10 Photos (Falls Creator update)

I have the same issue. Just loaded 47,000 photos. Windows indexed them into 1,500 people, many of which are the same individuals at different ages or in different contume. The indexing function is excellent. Now I'd like to merge people into a smaller
    and more manageable number of unique individuals. The logic of this functionality does not seem complex. Yet, I cannot find a way to accomplish the task with the current software. Does Microsoft intend to add this functionality in a future release? When
    might it be available?

AlvinCoppolo, Dec 1, 2017
  3. how to do Win User
    HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Dec 1, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

You could create a batchfile e.g. rennum.bat

Using following from admin command prompt

Dir /b /s > dir.txt

Then create a batch file rennum.bat with

rename

Repeated many times.

Then use notepad++ which supports block column copy to paste all of contents of dir.txt after the rename commands. Then paste same data shifted up one line after the first block.

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

cereberus, Dec 1, 2017
  5. budi Win User
    I'd solve and answer mine. on Windows cmd.exe console:

cmd /v /k
    for /f %x in ('dir /b ??.c') do (set/a t=%~nx-1 &ren %x !t!.c)

rename to greater number; dir in reversed and +1, i.e. use:

dir /b /o-n
    t =%~nx-1

Much better is to get TCC/LE more improved and sensible cmd.exe duplicate

budi, Dec 1, 2017
  6. budi Win User
    I'd solve and answer mine. on Windows cmd.exe console:

cmd /v /k
    for /f %x in ('dir /b ??.c') do (set/a t=%~nx-1 &ren %x !t!.c)

rename to greater number; dir in reversed and +1, i.e. use:

dir /b /o-n
    t =%~nx+1

Much better is to get TCC/LE more improved and sensible cmd.exe duplicate

budi, Dec 2, 2017
  7. You can also do this in PowerShell:

Code: foreach ($file in Get-ChildItem -Filter *.c -Recurse) { if ($file.fullname -match '\\([0-9]+?)\.c') { Rename-Item $file.fullname ([string]($matches[1]-1)+'.c') } }[/quote]

PolarNettles, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I accomplish renaming bulky indexed files to smaller number? - Similar Threads - accomplish renaming bulky

2. index number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    index number: I had to do a new windows install and somehow when I open up the file explorer and clicked on the search icon it would open up and have a index number which when I do click on the number it opens up and shows me all that is in my computer but the number there now does not...
  3. index number

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    index number: I had to do a new windows install and somehow when I open up the file explorer and clicked on the search icon it would open up and have a index number which when I do click on the number it opens up and shows me all that is in my computer but the number there now does not...
  4. index number

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How do I rename a large number of files in a way that it would be numbered in order of...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I rename a large number of files in a way that it would be numbered in order of...: I have a large music folder, but I wanted the contents of it to be numbered in order of creation. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-rename-a-large-number-of-files-in-a-way/7c89f352-d587-4086-b912-85cf500dbabf
  6. How do I rename a large number of files in a way that it would be numbered in order of...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I rename a large number of files in a way that it would be numbered in order of...: I have a large music folder, but I wanted the contents of it to be numbered in order of creation. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-rename-a-large-number-of-files-in-a-way/7c89f352-d587-4086-b912-85cf500dbabf
  7. How do I rename a large number of files in a way that it would be numbered in order of...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. What is the Index Number and how do I find it? Thank you.....

in Windows 10 Support
    What is the Index Number and how do I find it? Thank you.....: What is the Index Number and how do I find it? Thank you..... Want to use it in this command: 162980
  9. sending pdf files to federal credit unions how do i accomplish this?

in Windows 10 Customization
    sending pdf files to federal credit unions how do i accomplish this?: have tried to send pdf docs to my my credit union is there a program in windows 10 to do this easily. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sending-pdf-files-to-federal-credit-unions-how-do/8c7e7d9e-9d8d-48f4-8051-4c56ec44cecf
  10. Indexing & number of items indexed. Is this normal ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Indexing & number of items indexed. Is this normal ?: On all versions of W10 I notice that my number of indexed files grows daily by anything up to a few hundred. If I rebuild the index then the number of files indexed files falls dramatically as can be seen here. I have a suspicion it could be caused by a particular program...