Windows 10: How do I add a Local Account to my PC

Discus and support How do I add a Local Account to my PC in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I sign in to my PC with a Microsoft Account. How do I set up an additional Local Account for myself on the PC? I have Windows 10 Home...Creators Update... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by sportsfan148, May 6, 2017.

1. How do I add a Local Account to my PC

I sign in to my PC with a Microsoft Account. How do I set up an additional Local Account for myself on the PC? I have Windows 10 Home...Creators Update 1703. The guide on the forum for creating another account on a PC is similar but reads a bit differently to what I'm seeing on my PC. Has the method/wording change with the different Windows 10 Builds?
    I see Settings/Accounts/Family and Other People-Other People/Add someone else to this PC. It then asks for an email or phone number. If I want to create a Local Account am I supposed to select I don't have this persons sign in information at the bottom of the page?..and then select Add a User without a Microsoft Account?
    Thanks

:)

sportsfan148, May 6, 2017

2. For security reasons, how do I add a local account to my new computer, (make it my administrator) and then change my Microsoft account to a "standard" account for everyday use?

For security reasons setting up a new computer on the Windows 10 platform, I want to add a local account (which I would make my
    administrator account and use for settings changes only) and then change my existing Microsoft account to a
    "Standard" account to use for everyday work and play.

My understanding is that as in the past, it is still safer security wise to do day-to-day work on a "standard account" as opposed to an "Administrator" account. Does this make sense?

Steven_spot, May 6, 2017
  3. Jairit Be Win User
    For security reasons, how do I add a local account to my new computer, (make it my administrator) and then change my Microsoft account to a "standard" account for everyday use?

Hi Steven,

Here's exactly what you would need to do to accomplish the result you want:

Creating a Local Administrator Account

1. Select the Start button, then select Settings
    > Accounts > Family & other people > Add someone else to this PC.

2. I don't have this person's sign-in information > Add a user without a Microsoft account > create the account.

3. Browse to Add someone else to this PC again > click on the account > choose
    Change account type > choose Administrator.

Changing Your Microsoft's Account Type

1. Select the Start button, then select Settings
    > Accounts > Family & other people > Add someone else to this PC.

2. Click on your account > Change account type > choose
    Administrator

That should allow you to use a standard account for day to day work.

I must comment on the safety aspect of your post, though. Windows 10 is always updated with security patches, and with Windows Defender your PC is made safer.

We could simply avoid any security mishaps by simply keeping your PC updated, as well as having Windows Defender on at all times.

Regardless, there are your steps. If you need anything else, let us know.

Jairit Be, May 6, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

How do I add a Local Account to my PC

Yes.

Edwin, May 6, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, May 6, 2017
  6. sportsfan148, May 6, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, May 6, 2017
  8. How do I add a Local Account to my PC

Could I ask your opinion on something please Brink?
    The only reason I'm even thinking about adding a local account to my PC is in case my Microsoft Account is ever compromised and I'm unable to sign into my PC as I currently sign in with a Microsoft Account. I would never use the Local Account only in an emergency if I was locked out of my Microsoft Account. Do you think I'm overthinking this a bit? I have other devices that I can get on the internet with to be able to get to my Microsoft Account if there were any issues with the account...and hopefully then be able to sort the problem out. Somebody else told me that having two accounts for one person can cause software issues if you're not careful. What do you think?

sportsfan148, May 6, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How do I add a Local Account to my PC

1. How do I add a Local Account to my PC - Similar Threads - add Local Account

2. How do I add an account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I add an account?: I just got a computer with windows 10 from my dad and I want to add my Microsoft account to it. I’ve gone through the proper channels in settings, settings>accounts>family & others, and whenever I click on “Add a family member” or “Add someone to this PC” all I get is a gray...
  3. How do I add an account?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I add an account?: I just got a computer with windows 10 from my dad and I want to add my Microsoft account to it. I’ve gone through the proper channels in settings, settings>accounts>family & others, and whenever I click on “Add a family member” or “Add someone to this PC” all I get is a gray...
  4. How do I add an account?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How do I change a Pc's "Local account" setting to a Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change a Pc's "Local account" setting to a Microsoft account?: I'm trying to change the "Local Account" status on a laptop PC. The option on the Settings -> Accounts page is to "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead". When I try to do that, the system also asks for my Windows 11 password which I don't have.How can I fix this problem...
  6. How do I change a Pc's "Local account" setting to a Microsoft account?

How do I change a Pc's "Local account" setting to a Microsoft account?: I'm trying to change the "Local Account" status on a laptop PC. The option on the Settings -> Accounts page is to "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead". When I try to do that, the system also asks for my Windows 11 password which I don't have.How can I fix this problem...
  7. how do i change my pc from a microsoft bound account to a local account there is no option...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    how do i change my pc from a microsoft bound account to a local account there is no option...: i recently was updating some of my computers files and setting info and somehow bound my account to my microsoft account, overriding/reseting my local password to my microsoft password. i would like to return my pc to a local account but there is no option shown in any of the...
  8. how do i change my pc from a microsoft bound account to a local account there is no option...

how do i change my pc from a microsoft bound account to a local account there is no option...: i recently was updating some of my computers files and setting info and somehow bound my account to my microsoft account, overriding/reseting my local password to my microsoft password. i would like to return my pc to a local account but there is no option shown in any of the...
  9. How do I change my Microsoft Account into a Local Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I change my Microsoft Account into a Local Account: When I first set up my computer I made a Windows account but I logged in using my Microsoft Account instead of making a local user account. I was wondering if there is anyway to change it to a local account after making the account, without loosing your data....
  10. How do I Add a New Picture to Local Account so it can be seen on the

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How do I Add a New Picture to Local Account so it can be seen on the: Hey guys I switched to a local account. When I reboot the PC I can't see a picture. It's just a grey icon. How do I get a picture to show there. The only time I see a picture now is if I'm using my Microsoft Account. Thanks ☺ 10627