Windows 10: How do i add another windows boot option on the same hard drive?

Discus and support How do i add another windows boot option on the same hard drive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey , i have a dell inspirion n7110 17r and it has dual boot windows 7 and 10. when i shrunk the partition and made soace for a third OS being windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by iamdxpe, Dec 2, 2017.

1. iamdxpe Win User

How do i add another windows boot option on the same hard drive?

Hey , i have a dell inspirion n7110 17r and it has dual boot windows 7 and 10. when i shrunk the partition and made soace for a third OS being windows 8 , during installation , i got an error somewhere along the lines "to many file systems of this type and wouldnt let me install a third windows OS on the same hard drive , what can i do as a solution , because i looked all over youtube and i see that people have three windows operating systems on on e hard drive but they never show how they did it

:)

iamdxpe, Dec 2, 2017
  2. Ken Blake Win User

how do I add Word 2016 to the NEW option obtained by right clicking on the mouse

You have Office 2026? Youŕe way ahead of me <vbg>

I don't know why it disappeared, but I'm glad you found a workaround.

Ken Blake, Dec 2, 2017
  3. BarryCant Win User
    how do I add Word 2016 to the NEW option obtained by right clicking on the mouse

Hi ken, it was on my computer when using Office 2007, but disappeared when I installed Office 2026.

But I have taken the easy way out of this and put a shortcut on the taskbar.

Barry

BarryCant, Dec 2, 2017
  4. dmholt57 Win User

Show us an image of your disk management page... *Cool

dmholt57, Dec 2, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    It probably requires a boot loader to run multiple versions of an OS. An example would be GRUB, frequently used with LINUX. I don't multi-boot as I have sufficient computers on hand, mostly rehabbed rather than throw out, and am now running Win10 Home, Win10 IP Pro, Linux Mint 18 and Win7 Home Premium computers on a single keyboard, monitor and mouse through a KVM switch.

If I were to run multiple OSes on a single computer I'd do it with either a separate partition for each on the only HDD or multiple HDDs with one OS on each. Or I'd run virtual machines for the 2nd or 3rd OS.

Berton, Dec 3, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    I am betting reason is because OP has legacy bios installation's and has run out of primary partitions. You do not need a boot manager like grub.

There is an easy way round it without mangling existing partitions which is to install it in a virtual hard drive. OP need to post image of disk partitions for use fo advise best solution.

cereberus, Dec 3, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Or put two or more of the operating systems in logical drives inside an extended partition. Only the partition the computer boots from needs to be a primary partition, the partition(s) holding the operating system(s) do not.

NavyLCDR, Dec 3, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

That will work as well but I prefer vhds as easy to create and delete and only impact the sytem reserved partition. With expandable vhd, you do not need to reserve any partition space as well. They just use what they need up to maximum size.

cereberus, Dec 3, 2017
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    Although Windows Setup may be used to add a new multibooting Windows OS to a system that already dual boots Windows, I don't trust the new Windows installation not to hijack the active system partition when that may have been created by an earlier numbered version of Windows, especially if I mistake the location of the setup.exe file.

I'd rather add the new partition myself using Disk Manager, which usually handles extended and logical partitions well, or Diskpart, and use DISM* to apply the new Windows installation. See Apply Windows Image using DISM Instead of Clean Install Installation Upgrade Tutorials

VHD native booting Windows 10 installations have the disadvantage of being unable to update to a newer build, which come surprisingly frequently, even for feature build updates.

Typically for Windows 10 Insider clean installations (to which I add very little additional software, and expect to update with a new build within a week or two) I allow about 35 GB for the partition.

If the new partition is assigned the letter N:, then to add the new BCD bootmenu entry to the BCD on the active system volume, use the command Bcdboot N:\windows

*I'd sooner use Imagex than DISM, simply because the syntax is much briefer, so less chance of typos, and the wimlib-imagex.exe (also found in ESDtoISO or UUPtoISO bin subfolder) is even briefer.

Fafhrd, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do i add another windows boot option on the same hard drive? - Similar Threads - add another boot

2. How do I reinstall windows 10 from a drive with no storage to another drive on the same PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reinstall windows 10 from a drive with no storage to another drive on the same PC?: I don't have any storage on the C: drive I have installed windows 10 on it is 60 GBs and I only have 3 GBs left, so I'm trying to move it to my other drive which is a terabyte. But when I use the media creation tool it says I have to free up 8 GBs on the C: drive which would...
  3. How do I reinstall windows 10 from a drive with no storage to another drive on the same PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I reinstall windows 10 from a drive with no storage to another drive on the same PC?: I don't have any storage on the C: drive I have installed windows 10 on it is 60 GBs and I only have 3 GBs left, so I'm trying to move it to my other drive which is a terabyte. But when I use the media creation tool it says I have to free up 8 GBs on the C: drive which would...
  4. How do I reinstall windows 10 from a drive with no storage to another drive on the same PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How do I add Eject in Context Menu for External Hard Drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I add Eject in Context Menu for External Hard Drives?: As far as I've understood, the Eject option in the Context Menu appears only for small USB Key "Flash Drives". That option does not appear for big Mass Storage Devices. I have a 2TB and a 4TB External Hard Drives I would like to Eject by Right Clicking on the Drive Icon in...
  6. How do I transfer files from one hard drive to another?

How do I transfer files from one hard drive to another?: I currently have a 4TB hard drive and was thinking of buying a bigger one. Since I have all my games installed on my hard drive, I would have to redownload them all, which would take hours, if not days. I was wondering how I could maybe transfer all my files/games from my...
  7. How to Boot into a hard drive

How to Boot into a hard drive: Hi, So I installed windows on a hard drive, I just don't know how to boot into that hard drive. I went into boot options, I tried every single option and it just says, "REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE OR INSERT BOOT MEDIA IN SELECTED BOOT DEVICE AND PRESS A KEY." I tried...
  8. Can i add a used laptop hard drive in another laptop with no hard drive. Will it still boot?

Can i add a used laptop hard drive in another laptop with no hard drive. Will it still boot?: I have 2 laptops. One is for gaming and other is work. A few weeks ago my gaming laptop fell and the hard drive broke. So can i put my work laptops hard drive in my gaming laptops slot as my gaming laptop has only one hdd slot. Will it boot?...
  9. how do i exchange one seagate external hard drive for another seagate external hard drive...

how do i exchange one seagate external hard drive for another seagate external hard drive...: Every time I try to do it, it keeps giving me error messages like Those files are open in another system. or if I try to remove the old Seagate so I can attach a new one it says error. I just want to put the new one on and tell it to receive the backup files....
  10. Add another hard drive with Windows 10 (home version 1809)

Add another hard drive with Windows 10 (home version 1809): Can you run two hard drives simultaneously with Windows 10? I have another hard drive. I need more room for games and for convenience Windows 10 platform....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows add another boot drive

2. how do i add another windows to be booted