Windows 10: How do I add RAID / other drivers to W10 installation media

Discus and support How do I add RAID / other drivers to W10 installation media in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there I need to add a RAID driver (I have the driver) to the Windows install media (got iso and usb via media creation tool - the iso / usb was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Jul 28, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

How do I add RAID / other drivers to W10 installation media

Hi there

I need to add a RAID driver (I have the driver) to the Windows install media (got iso and usb via media creation tool - the iso / usb was created on a different machine).

Previous versions would let you via an Fn key load drivers from a "Diskette" image. This option of course isn't there.

If I don't load the RAID driver at boot Windows gives the standard message "No Hard Disks found".

Any EASY way to do this.

Note this has to be done at install time - it can't be done afterwards as Windows won't see any HDD's. !!!!!

I find often when stuff is "Simplified too much" --such as 1 click or "Easy install" options then when stuff does need to be modified it's usually a pain. I can't see what was wrong with the original optional prompt to load drivers at install (XP / W7 etc). W10 install is easy if it's a bog standard installation but if you have things like Hardware RAID it's a pain.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 28, 2016
  2. Big-Pa Win User

Windows 10 Search (Cortana) Not Working

Just to add some data points for correlation:

I am having the same problem but only on the machine where I have the OS installed in a Raid1 SSD (2x1TB). I have upgraded or fresh installed W10 on 7 other machines all with SSDs but none with Raid on the OS drive. I have other Raids but all on Data
    and backup arrays. I wonder if W10 has an issue with Raid1 on the OS drive?

Config:

Dell M6800 Mobile Workstation

Windows 10 Pro, V1607 (14393.51)

32GB RAM

2x1TB SSD in RAID 1 on OS Drive (Samsung 850 EVO)

MSata 1TB SSD Backup/Data Drive

Core i7 Intel CPU

Big-Pa, Jul 28, 2016
  3. cy414 Win User
    need help to find diagnose and fix random lock-ups/hangs in windows 10

it could be worth a go once i get my next backup done.

since the current install was fresh as of one week after the w7 beta ended...

im pretty much convinced, following this thread and the other looking around i have done based on the information here, that the issues are indeed down to some drivers for the motherboard not working correctly under w10.(in the jmicron patch-notes i found
    stated windows could hang under "unusual load")

and given there is no usb utility to update it, w10 not supporting floppy drives, and the raid controller deactivating the ide, thats not likely to change. oh well.

i have an older version of the w10 media creation tool which will let me make a w10pro usb. so technically i could just do a fresh w10 install right off, then reinstall most things from my storage drive.

what im thinking now is;

-do a reinstall replacing the raid array with a single hybrid drive.

-use one of the original raid drives as a windows image/file backup drive.

-recover personal files from current storage drive.

-hope the problems no longer occur.

-if they do, i still have the w7 dvd and everything already setup for reinstalling.

cy414, Jul 28, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Found a real SILLY way to do this on an HP server -- I had to BURN an old fashioned ISO (fortunately I still had an old USB DVD writer).
    Then on the server bios boot options there;'s an option called "Intelligent provisioning" which installs both rhe OS and driver at the same time. The intelligent provisioning requires a PHYSICAL ISO image !!! - one on HDD won't do and it loads the driver and does the install.

However this method is specific to this particular machine. ("Yesterday's technology Tomorrow" !!!!!).

Surely there must be a better method of adding drivers PRE-INSTALL if these are required - for example hardware RAID controllers etc.

so although I've solved it for this particular piece of hardware (HP Proliant GEN 8 Microserver) I'd still like a better generic method.
    The Gen 8 server uses the W12 (or W8) server RAID driver - works fine on W10.

I want a Windows image on this server (while it's a free upgrade from W7 / W8.1) so need to get it working before 23.59 today !!!!!!.

Any assistance on this would be really appreciated -- I've looked at using nLite and the WAIK tools but a) it's complicated and b) I think WAIK for W10 has changed so no good.

I can't believe I'm the only person who has this problem with Hardware RAID.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 28, 2016
Thema:

1. How do I add RAID / other drivers to W10 installation media - Similar Threads - add RAID drivers

2. need to install the raid driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    need to install the raid driver: need to reload the raid driver https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-install-the-raid-driver/879eeab2-e9b7-4e40-8c07-b8975bf44d86
  3. need to install the raid driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    need to install the raid driver: need to reload the raid driver https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-install-the-raid-driver/879eeab2-e9b7-4e40-8c07-b8975bf44d86
  4. need to install the raid driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I prevent Photos Media Add In from automatically installing?

How do I prevent Photos Media Add In from automatically installing?: How do I prevent Photos Media Add In from automatically installing? I don't want the add in, I don';t need the add in and I really don't feel like having to find another media viewer app. Thanks!...
  6. W10 1909 Installation Media

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    W10 1909 Installation Media: Hi, Just finished building my new PC and trying to get Windows10 Pro. The Media installation tool only allows me to download/install 2004 but I'd like to get 1909 due to the issues related to 2004. Is there a way to get 1909 installation media (or .iso file, whatever, just...
  7. How do I Delete Photos media engine add on

How do I Delete Photos media engine add on: How do I Delete Photos media engine add on. I did not even Download it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-delete-photos-media-engine-add-on/84b0014f-7af2-44c2-acee-6a08a7fc4c96
  8. How do I add media information in Windows Media Player?

How do I add media information in Windows Media Player?: How do I add media information in Windows Media Player? Such as Album, Title, Track title, et al? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-add-media-information-in-windows-media/c7a77811-d999-47a3-b5a5-81e7a5d26fca
  9. how do I remove the recently installed photo's media add on?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do I remove the recently installed photo's media add on?: how do I remove the recently installed photo's media add on, i 'am using win 10 and firefox thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-ons/98b06ab7-408d-44d7-806d-dbf2158c3ad0
  10. How do I add Media information to a CD playing?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I add Media information to a CD playing?: How do I add Media information to a CD playing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-add-media-information-to-a-cd-playing/40aff875-f56b-4bf7-9d08-eaae8c8684f4