Windows 10: how do I add text under the COMMENT column in File Explorer?

Discus and support how do I add text under the COMMENT column in File Explorer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; WIndows allows me to add a column called COMMENT in the File Explorer yet it is unclear how I can actually add my personal text next to a file or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bromberg, Nov 3, 2016.

1. bromberg Win User

how do I add text under the COMMENT column in File Explorer?

WIndows allows me to add a column called COMMENT in the File Explorer yet it is unclear how I can actually add my personal text next to a file or folder to describe its contents.
    If this cannot be done then what is the purpose of the COMMENT column in File Explorer?!?

Thanks,
    Dan

:)

bromberg, Nov 3, 2016

2. Windows Explorer 10: Detail View: Custom Column: How to Modify Field

Have a set of aerial photos which I capture from USGS. The file name is a long number which means something to the USGS but does not describe the contents of the file. [I need to save that number for referencing USGS data sets.] I added a Comment column
    under the Detail View for Explorer with the idea that I could add the state, county, quadrant and photo date attributes for each of the photo files. I got the Comment column to add, but can't sort out how to add the attribute data that I was hoping to. How
    to do this, please?

Thanks very much.

Bill Cole

WilliamCole1213, Nov 3, 2016
  3. kp_10 Win User
    How to print a directory list within Windows Explorer as text file with custom details including file length?

How to print a directory list within Windows Explorer as text file with custom details including file length? When I print from the DOS prompt (command line) I only get Date, Type and Size properties. I can add the file length column in Windows
    Explorer but I need to get it into a text file.

kp_10, Nov 3, 2016
  4. Nostromov Win User

Nostromov, Nov 3, 2016
  5. AndreyT Win User
    The purpose of that column is to display Comment field from the metadata stored inside the file. And in order for it to be available the file format must support metadata with Comment field in it. For example, EXIF metadata used in image files has Comment field.
    If some file format does not have metadata in it (or has no Comment field), then this column will always be empty for such files.

AndreyT, Nov 3, 2016
  6. bromberg Win User
    bromberg, Nov 4, 2016
  7. bromberg Win User
    Thanks, Audrey - that does clear things up. Do you know where I may find the list of file types that allows for COMMENTS?
    Dan

bromberg, Nov 4, 2016
  8. chok Win User

would be nice to simply click on the comment (or any field) to edit it

chok, Feb 7, 2018
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, you can add the ability to add comments via the properties sheet to files that don't by default support it using a free program: File Metadata. Worth looking into, interesting description on site.

Prior to adding attributes to pdf's I could do nothing in the fields in the properties sheet for (e.g.) pdfs. Then:

how do I add text under the COMMENT column in File Explorer? [​IMG]

dalchina, Feb 7, 2018
  10. dalchina New Member
    Here's XYplorer:

- click on Edit comment, and a notepad-like box appears.

dalchina, Feb 7, 2018
  11. Edwin New Member
    That was the nice thing about Windows 7 with the full Details Pane on the bottom!

Edwin, Feb 7, 2018
  12. chok Win User
    thanks a lot for your reply!
    An open source alternative of XYplorer seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

13. Bree New Member

Windows 10 can have a full details pane to the right, with editable fields.

14. dalchina New Member
    Yes, I should have posted that too.

-, but can you do that for (e.g.) pdf?

dalchina, Feb 7, 2018
  15. chok Win User
    thanks Bree & Dalchina! But how do you trigger that panel? (I can't find it in the view tab of the windows explorer)

Thema:

1. how do I add text under the COMMENT column in File Explorer? - Similar Threads - add text under

2. how to add comments to files in explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to add comments to files in explorer: how to add comments to files in explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-add-comments-to-files-in-explorer/e6f47313-e2fd-48f9-b3f1-00dc092b8fa1
  3. how to add comments to files in explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to add comments to files in explorer: how to add comments to files in explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-add-comments-to-files-in-explorer/e6f47313-e2fd-48f9-b3f1-00dc092b8fa1
  4. Add a field not available actually to file explorer columns

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Add a field not available actually to file explorer columns: Hi, I'm in trouble, cause I wanna add a column to File Explorer, when I open a folder,If I Right-click onto this barI would see a column that I could not find in "Choose Details"with "Last Saved By" property, like this Excell file, in the picture under...
  5. Add a field not available actually to file explorer columns

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add a field not available actually to file explorer columns: Hi, I'm in trouble, cause I wanna add a column to File Explorer, when I open a folder,If I Right-click onto this barI would see a column that I could not find in "Choose Details"with "Last Saved By" property, like this Excell file, in the picture under...
  6. File Explorer Columns - Quick Add/Remove

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer Columns - Quick Add/Remove: Hi, Windows 10 user (using 20H2 but that's not relevant). Bit of a long shot... but i can't be the only one who sees this issue.. I want to add and remove columns in File Explorer on the fly. I know how to add a column and remove it. However, every time I want to add it I...
  7. How do I add comments to a folder within File Explorer?

How do I add comments to a folder within File Explorer?: I have to navigate through a medium volume of folders within one folder for my work projects. It would be helpful if I could add comments within the metadata of a folder to help me organize. Posted a snip of the area I am referencing. Anyone know of a way to do this within...
  8. How can I add comments to the Comments column on File Explorer?

How can I add comments to the Comments column on File Explorer?: How can I associate comments with a file, and get them to appear in the File Explorer Comments column? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-add-comments-to-the-comments-column-on/d09e68a0-ec87-435a-bacc-bdefcab94c70"
  9. Add comments, tags, metadata to files in explorer, folder comments

in Windows 10 Customization
    Add comments, tags, metadata to files in explorer, folder comments: Hi, just come across this File Metadata (free) which I think will interest you- seems very competent in tagging files. At the bottom I've added a note about StyleFolder (free), which adds comments to folders. If you want to add comments, tags, metadata to files, this is...
  10. How To Add Column To All Subfolders in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Add Column To All Subfolders in Explorer: I have a folder for all my mp3's, flac files. Tons of subfolders. Each one defaults to basic columns, Artist, Album, Title, etc. But I always want to see the type and the bit rate. How do I set this in Explorer for a folder and it's current and future subfolders? Thanks,...