Windows 10: How do I Back up my Windows 100 system on an external Hard Drive?

Discus and support How do I Back up my Windows 100 system on an external Hard Drive? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I was trying to do a system backup on an external hard drive in windows 10 and once it started i noticed that it was creating a backup for my old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jallard, Feb 5, 2016.

1. jallard Win User

How do I Back up my Windows 100 system on an external Hard Drive?

I was trying to do a system backup on an external hard drive in windows 10 and once it started i noticed that it was creating a backup for my old Windows 7 64 operating system. How do I get it to back up my current Windows 10 system and all of my files on the C: drive.?

:)

jallard, Feb 5, 2016

2. Vista back up to external hard drive, how do I transfer to Windows 10?

Hello Klein,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

Microsoft has partnered with Laplink to bring you PCmover Express — a tool for transferring selected files, folders,
    and more from your old Windows PC to your new Windows 10 PC. And even more good news: It's free! Follow the above link to download the software and follow the instruction to get Back up transfer done.

If you used Backup and Restore to back up files or create system image backups in previous versions of Windows, your old backup is still available in Windows 10. Connect the External Hard drive to your Computer, in which the Back files are stored. Then
    to get to it, right-click the Start button, and then select
    Control Panel >
    Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
    Follow the On-screen instruction to complete the process.

If you’re missing an important file or folder, here’s how to get it back:

• Search for Restore files from the taskbar and select
      Restore your files with File History

• Look for the file you need and then use the arrows to see all its versions.

• When you find the version you want, select the Restore button to save it in its original location. To save it in a different place, right-click (or press and hold) the
      Restore button, select Restore to, and then choose a new location.
    Use this Video link
    to learn more about Restore your files on Windows 10.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Feb 5, 2016
  3. Vista back up to external hard drive, how do I transfer to Windows 10?

I recently upgraded an old Vista HP PC to Windows 10, before I upgrade to Windows 7 though I backed up my computer using the back up process for Vista on an external hard drive. I now have Windows 10, how can I get my files off the External Hard Drive
    back onto my computer? Thanks.

BrandonKlein1967, Feb 5, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

I think you'd have to describe your system configuration further, and say how you're starting the backup.
    Are you dual booting?

Otherwise: best recommendation: use disk imaging regularly, before and after each major change.

Macrium Reflect (free) (no incremental imaging)
    I've seen recommendations for this one:
    Free Desktop and Laptop backup - Veeam Endpoint Backup

I'm currently using O&O DiskImage, having moved from Aomei Backupper.

Use one of these + create its boot disk/device + get large enough external storage.

Allows to to back up everything on a disk/partition and recover your PC to how it was when you created the image and replace the drive easily. (For example).

dalchina, Feb 5, 2016
  5. jallard Win User
    I have an external hard drive from my old computer that use as a backup for my system. However, that was when I had Windows 7 64. Now that I have have upgrade to Windows 10 I want to back up my system files to my external hard drive. I have a DELL XPS 2700 and I keep getting this cursed popup from DELL wanting me to do a backup utilizing their BS. In other words they want me to pay for it.

If there was a way to stop that incessant popup I would do that too. (DELL was the worst purchase that I ever made. I should have built my own the second time.)

jallard, Feb 5, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ok, so you have an annoying program producing the popup..

Suggestion for removal:
    You should be able to identify the exe responsible when the popup is present using your task manager.
    Then find where it's located (rt click task man entry, open file location).
    (You may be lucky and spot an 'Uninstall.exe' or similar)

Else note that, and then check if there's an entry that looks like it corresponds in Control Panel, Programs and Features.
    If so, uninstall it.

If no uninstall option, try Revo uninstaller. Use Force Uninstall and browse to the exe you found.
    Run the scan, and check the results.

(You might also be lucky with one of the crapware removal products if it knows the program e.g. The PC Decrapifier
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/free-c...moval-software
    )

Good at removing the stuff manufacturers add on as trials, unwanted etc.

dalchina, Feb 5, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    I have a feeling you may be being misled due to the misleading name of the image backup tool.

The image backup tool in Windows 10 is called 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)'.

This insanely stupid naming by MS confuses a lot of people - it means 'Use the Backup and Restore method AS USED in Windows 7 (as opposed to the later File History Backup introduced in Windows 8).

Thus if you use this option, it DOES backup Windows 10 and really has nothing to do with Windows 7!

MS should simply have just called it 'Image Backup and Restore'!

However, there are many better, more flexible and more intuitve image 3rd party backup programs.

cereberus, Feb 6, 2016
  8. jallard Win User

I ended up using the Veeam Endpoint Backup that was mentioned earlier.

jallard, Feb 6, 2016
  9. CmmTch Win User
    I've used the windows backup and restore for years with no problems, worked in Win7, it was seamless moving to W10 as far as using that program was concerned. It does a backup/image every Sunday at 7:00pm, there were a few times I've had to use it, couple with Win7 and a couple with W10. Things went flawlessly every time I've needed to use it to restore to a backup/image.

CmmTch, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I Back up my Windows 100 system on an external Hard Drive? - Similar Threads - 100 system external

2. No Windows back up to external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Windows back up to external hard drive?: I just downloaded Windows 11. I thought I would hate it but it is actually quite nice! I use an external hard drive for my back up and do not want to use OneDrive but even though I have read several instructions on how, my page does not have all that the others do? All I have...
  3. No Windows back up to external hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Windows back up to external hard drive?: I just downloaded Windows 11. I thought I would hate it but it is actually quite nice! I use an external hard drive for my back up and do not want to use OneDrive but even though I have read several instructions on how, my page does not have all that the others do? All I have...
  4. external hard drive not backing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive not backing up: every time i press back up it does its backing up thingy then it says you havent backed up your drive ive tried 3 times and many different things online please help me i need to fix it before wensday cause they gonna take my computer and fix it and they might need to wipe it...
  5. I am not able to do a Back-up to an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I am not able to do a Back-up to an external hard drive: I am trying to do a back-up to an external hard drive. I select Back Up using File History, and Automatically Backup Files is On. I then go to More options, but when I press Back-up now, it hangs for a few seconds and then 'Cancel' appears. Why wont it back up?. I have...
  6. How do I back up Windows 10 to an external hard drive?

How do I back up Windows 10 to an external hard drive?: How do I back up Windows 10 to an external hard drive? Always in the past I have been able to automatically set this but now I can not see where this is available in settings/backup....
  7. back up my hard drive to an external hard drive

back up my hard drive to an external hard drive: backing up my hard drive to external drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-my-hard-drive-to-an-external-hard-drive/322809a8-5ac9-408c-998d-8a2ecdcd1906
  8. how do i back up one drive to an external hard drive

how do i back up one drive to an external hard drive: how do i back up one drive to an external hard drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-back-up-one-drive-to-an-external-hard/3bddc1b7-ecac-49a4-8e33-d768282fafad
  9. backing up my pc to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    backing up my pc to external hard drive: I want to back up my PC to an external hard drive, can you advise how I do it easily or manually? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backing-up-my-pc-to-external-hard-drive/67268df7-b95b-46be-8afd-8d2d85f87e24
  10. Backing up to a external hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backing up to a external hard drive: After reading about ransomware etc. it got me wondering about backing up my information to an external hard drive. It would serve double duty in the event of a drive failure or the unlikely event of ransom ware. I've never used an external drive for backup so I have a few...