Windows 10: How do I boot Windows 10 from my SSD after cloning from HDD?

Discus and support How do I boot Windows 10 from my SSD after cloning from HDD? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ok, so I just recently got an ASUS GL553VD. Since it didn't come with an SSD, I decided to add one. I got a Samsung NVMe 960 EVO SSD and installed it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by makotoehrlich, Mar 20, 2017.

1. How do I boot Windows 10 from my SSD after cloning from HDD?

Ok, so I just recently got an ASUS GL553VD. Since it didn't come with an SSD, I decided to add one. I got a Samsung NVMe 960 EVO SSD and installed it into the laptop, in addition to the 1 TB HDD that was already there. After looking up how to migrate windows 10 to an SSD, I was able to clone everything from my HDD to the SSD. The issue is, I cannot figure out how to boot windows 10 from the SSD instead of the HDD. I think it might have something to do with the fact that both the HDD and the SSD have the OS files on them, so maybe that's confusing the computer somehow, but I am not sure. Do I need to wipe the HDD after cloning it to the SSD? BIOS only has 1 boot option, which I'm assuming is the HDD. I'm not sure why the SSD isn't showing, because I've been able to use it otherwise... Anyways, I'd greatly appreciate any help I can get to boot windows 10 from my SSD.

:)

makotoehrlich, Mar 20, 2017
  2. alden2662 Win User

How to change boot from HDD to SSD?

I recently installed Crucial 275 GB M2 SSD in my new Acer Aspire E5-575-33BM laptop and cloned HDD to SSD with Easy US Todo back up software. Cloning appear to be successful and on disk management menu SSD looks like it healthy and has all Windows and partition
    copied and ready. Now, how to change boot from HDD to SSD? I understand I need to change boot on BIOS but not sure how to do it exactly. I tried to do it from YouTube video with changes in BIOS, but now I am not sure whether I did everything right and made
    laptop to boot from SSD or it still boots from HDD. Will appreciate some instructions how to check if boot comes from SSD and if not -how to change boot to SSD.

Thanks

AD

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows Ink & touch

alden2662, Mar 20, 2017
  3. When upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, update fails and I get 80070002-20009 error

Perhaps the Windows 10 upgrade package sees the OS on cloned drives as unauthorized duplications? How many in this thread are booting from cloned drives (including me)?

Ive cloned my HDD to my SSD as well, I think you may be on to something.

Durinsky54, Mar 20, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

How do I boot Windows 10 from my SSD after cloning from HDD?

You should be able to set the boot order in the BIOS so SSD is top of the list. If you can't (as you say) you could remove the HDD and see if it boots.

Once you are sure it is booting from SSD you can wipe the old HDD but I wouldn't do that until you are sure the SSD is OK.

5. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Mar 20, 2017
  6. I guess the issue is as @lx07 said in the BIOS.. You only see the HDD but that does not mean you cannot boot the SSD. My bios has two options about that: one for selecting the drives enabled to boot, another one for choosing the boot order.. Refer to your MB manual if you don't know where to look for..

brainvision, Mar 20, 2017
  7. essenbe Win User
    You will most likely have an option in bios to enable boot from NVME, you have to enable it. Another issue may be because you cloned it, both the original OS and the NVME have the same disk signature, which last I heard, UEFI does not allow. Disconnect the original drive and see if the NVME boot option is available. If not, check in your bios for the NVME option.

essenbe, Mar 20, 2017
  8. kimkl Win User

If the old Windows HDD is still in laptop you have 2 active C:\ drives, well the SSD is prob called E:\ because you still have the old HDD in the laptop, i would remove the old HDD i do not think you will have much luck with the bios but give it a shoot, but when i cloned with Magician i removed the old HDD after clone was done and it worked like it should, right now the SSD is called E:\ prob and since Windows needs to look for C:\Windows and not E:\Windows it won't work as you like

kimkl, Mar 20, 2017
  9. essenbe Win User
    I have a different chipset than you and an Asus board, but this is the bios settinngs

How do I boot Windows 10 from my SSD after cloning from HDD? [​IMG]

essenbe, Mar 20, 2017
  10. kimkl Win User
    Okay after some searching i found several sites claiming, the SSD is not supported by your Laptop, other sites said that Asus had fixed it with a bios update so make sure your Bios is up to date and that the SSD is supported by your Laptop, just because you cloned your HDD to the SSD does not mean it will boot, some sites said it was a speed problem and some said it was because you had to use a different SSD slot so better do some checking on that, "FINGERS CROSSED"

kimkl, Mar 20, 2017
  11. I have removed the HDD and tried booting with just the SSD, but it takes me straight to Bios and gives me no boot options.

makotoehrlich, Mar 21, 2017
  12. I tried taking the HDD out and booting from the SSD, but it goes straight to Bios and will not give me the NVMe option.

13. How do I boot Windows 10 from my SSD after cloning from HDD?

Thank you all for the replies. I've yet to figure it out, but am currently looking up the compatibility of the SSD with this computer. Does anyone have any other recommendations? I feel like it is something super obvious that I am just missing.

14. Update: this SSD is definitely compatible with this computer. Every site I saw was showing the NVMe evo 960 as an option. Still not sure why it is not showing up in bios, as I have made sure it is installed correctly, and the HDD is currently not installed anymore. Is there any way I can add it as a boot option in the bios?

15. dalchina New Member
    If no other option, you could
    - disk image your SSD to an external medium
    - wipe your SSD
    - reinstall Win 10 on your SSD, making sure you have first configured your system to use AHCI, and test it
    - replace the Win 10 partition from your disk image (just C*Smile
    - run startup repair

dalchina, Mar 21, 2017
Thema:

1. How do I boot Windows 10 from my SSD after cloning from HDD? - Similar Threads - boot SSD cloning

2. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?: I've recently got my new SSD and cloned the HDD to it. When I went back to the BIOS to set the boot priority and restarted the computer, it wouldn't boot Windows 10 "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". My SSD is...
  3. HDD to SSD NVME not booting after clone

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    HDD to SSD NVME not booting after clone: Here is my issues, after cloning, I can find the SSD but once boot with that the screen is hanging. Have to use HDD to boot. Please help how to modify it. Do I need to redo it. [img] [img] 175565
  4. I cloned my data to an SSD from my HDD, how do I go about switching Windows from HDD to SSD.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I cloned my data to an SSD from my HDD, how do I go about switching Windows from HDD to SSD.: I installed a M.2 SATA SSD [Western Digital Blue 250GB], on my laptop. Then I reformated my laptop and used Macrium Reflect to clone it to my SSD. In which I think the process was succesful. However the windows doesn't switch to SSD, which makes me unable to reformat my HDD....
  5. Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot: Full details - I bought a new Samsung SSD for my laptop, put it into the spare M.2 NVME slot, cloned my OEM installed SSD onto it using Samsung Data Migration, removed the OEM SSD, booted from the new one and it worked like a charm. Now, I tried to do the same thing with my...
  6. Cloning an SSD from an HDD

Cloning an SSD from an HDD: Im planning on swapping out my laptops HDD with an SSD, and I was wondering if the OS clones to the new drive? Also I have a few programs that have licenses using ilok so would those carry over too or would i have to authenticate my software again? Thanks in advance!...
  7. Cloning Windows from an HDD to an SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning Windows from an HDD to an SSD: I'm trying to clone my Windows PC. I have a 220GB SSD installed with a 1 TB HDD. What I'm trying to do is clone Windows and leave my documents and Images etc: on the HDD. When setting up the cloning software I have deleted the "Users" folder from the cloning operation. I now...
  8. Trying to boot Windows 10 from HDD to a cloned SSD, having issues!

Trying to boot Windows 10 from HDD to a cloned SSD, having issues!: So, I have an issue I got an see computer that has good hardware but it's slow and muddy. Long story short I got an SSD from a friend and I wiped my computer so I could clone it. I used Macrium Reflect and it seems to have worked just fine, it looks just like the tutorial...
  9. SSD not booting Windows 10 after cloning from HDD.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD not booting Windows 10 after cloning from HDD.: I recently purchased a Sandisk 120GB SSD to use for running my OS from. I formatted the disk as normal then ran the EaseUS todo backup to clone the data. The cloning seemed to be successful as the SSD had all the data from the HDD including Windows 10. However when I try...
  10. Can't Boot Win10 from SSD (HDD clone)

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Boot Win10 from SSD (HDD clone): I've a 2TB Toshiba HDD and recently purchased a 480GB PNY SSD. I would like to migrate all the data the HDD contains to the SSD, use the SSD as my main drive and just dump movies, photos etc. to the HDD later. Since I've only about 300GB on the HDD, I wanted to a direct...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. delete uefi from hdd after migrating win 10 os to ssd asus mb