Windows 10: How do I change a local user account password?

Discus and support How do I change a local user account password? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I don't know why this is so difficult, Win 10 really screwed things up coming from Seven. Seems they changed a lot of things just for the sake of... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by dictum, Dec 31, 2017.

1. dictum Win User

How do I change a local user account password?

I don't know why this is so difficult, Win 10 really screwed things up coming from Seven. Seems they changed a lot of things just for the sake of changing them. I shouldn't have to use a search engine or a forum to answer this question.

I am logged in under the administrator account. I have a local account whose password I need to change.

I am under Accounts and there is a local user but no obvious way to change that user's password.

:)

dictum, Dec 31, 2017

2. How do I change a childs local account to a family account? How do I create a family account for a child without creating another email?

My child has an existing account, and when I updated to Win10, it became a local account and I cannot apply parental controls. I was going to just make her a new user account, but it wants me to put in an email. I only have one email and it's already being
    used by my account. I don't think they should force you to create another email for a 7 year old child. PLEASE FIX THIS MICROSOFT

TRThomas20, Dec 31, 2017
  3. How do I change a childs local account to a family account? How do I create a family account for a child without creating another email?

Hi,

Your child's email address is necessary if we are going to add a child account to your family. Please see link below:

Add a child account to your family.

Thanks.

Rolando Vil, Dec 31, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

5. dictum Win User
    I saw that tutorial berore I posted. Before I post, I exhaust all options and do a search.
    The tutorial is wrong. It's showing an obsolete, previous version of Windows 10. Mine is latest and does not show things the same way. I cannot get to "Manager User accounts"

I do not have " Open the Control Panel (icons view)," and then Manager user accounts.
    You should really post up-to date stuff. As this does not answer the question and something I already saw.

dictum, Dec 31, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello dictum,

Being more respectful of the people trying to help you may get you better help instead of being rude and putting them off like that. *Wink

The screenshots in the tutorial may be from an older version of Windows 10, but they still show the same options in the latest version of Windows 10. Grant it with a newer UI, but still up to date otherwise.

An administrator account should be able to easily do option 3 in the Control Panel. When you say you don't have the "Control Panel (icons view)", did you click on the link in step 1 to see how to open the Control Panel to "icons view"?

What do you see instead?

*Arrow Change Password of Account in Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

Brink, Dec 31, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Type Control Panel in the Cortana/Search box. Open Control Panel and click on User accounts.

8. dictum Win User

This is actually very useful. Thank you. I had no way to get to control panel any other way. Thank you!

These instructions floating above should really be modified as they are not reflecting the latest version of Windows 10, there seems to be multiple releases. The latest win10 does not resemble the original.

dictum, Dec 31, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
  10. dictum Win User
    what is this all the crazy stuff I have to do get to get "Control panel" to show up??

What an illogical design.

dictum, Dec 31, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The Control Panel will eventually be replaced by Settings in Windows 10.

*Arrow Open Settings in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

This causes us to have to jump through a few more hoops to get to the Control Panel since Settings is now the preferred (default) option now.

You can still make it easy to open Control Panel though.

Show Control Panel or Settings on Win+X Menu in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Create Control Panel Shortcut in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Create Control Panel All Tasks Shortcut in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Brink, Dec 31, 2017
  12. dictum Win User
    I work as a Unix admin and I just cannot see how the average Windows user will grasp any of this. That is, making changes to the system to include control panel in the list. This is like an after-market mod to your car.

dictum, Dec 31, 2017
  13. dictum Win User

The very fact you need a support link shows it's a poorly thought-through design. It should be click-click-click. and done.

dictum, Dec 31, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hence why you can customize it to how you want instead of using the default "Settings". *Wink

Brink, Dec 31, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    @dictum,

Were you able to get the password changed?

Brink, Dec 31, 2017
Thema:

1. How do I change a local user account password? - Similar Threads - change local user

2. how do I change my local account password to pin?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I change my local account password to pin?: I tried to go to the account and sign-in options and it says the pin option is unavailable, there is no option to change the password so I am very lost. I also tried going to the control panel and managing the account but there was no option to change the password. Please...
  3. how do I change my local account password to pin?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I change my local account password to pin?: I tried to go to the account and sign-in options and it says the pin option is unavailable, there is no option to change the password so I am very lost. I also tried going to the control panel and managing the account but there was no option to change the password. Please...
  4. How do I change Local password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change Local password?: I'm trying to log in to my Microsoft account on my PC. It is currently logged into my Local account. When I try to transition from local to Microsoft it asks for my Local account passwordI think. Could be Microsoft. Some clarity here would also help.Could someone please...
  5. How do I change Local password?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change Local password?: I'm trying to log in to my Microsoft account on my PC. It is currently logged into my Local account. When I try to transition from local to Microsoft it asks for my Local account passwordI think. Could be Microsoft. Some clarity here would also help.Could someone please...
  6. Prompt local user account to change their default password?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Prompt local user account to change their default password?: Windows 10 settings, Accounts, Family & Other Users, Add someone else to this PC. I create a new account with "I don't have this person's email", so it's just a local account.Is there a way that I can force it to prompt the user to change their local password when they first...
  7. How do I change the user folder name for my local account?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I change the user folder name for my local account?: Hello all, I recently got a new Windows 10 laptop and set it up with my Microsoft account, before switching to a local account. When I went to view the user account folder for the local account C:\Users, I saw that windows had named the folder using the first 5 characters...
  8. Is My Password Local and How Do I change It

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is My Password Local and How Do I change It: I have windows 10 and office 365. If I want to change the password that I use to sign on to my computer is that a change that will affect all my computers or just this one? I assume that all my devices are syncing in some fashion and when I install Windows I enter my email...
  9. How do I change users password?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How do I change users password?: My desktop machine had been working OK for several hours. I went to make a cup of tea, and when I came back it was rebooting. An hour later it was still rebooting so I switched it off and on again. That time it rebooted OK. I tried to log in as Admin and got the message "the...
  10. Local Account Password changed

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local Account Password changed: Hi, I have linked my Windows 10 app store to a BT provided email address. After rebooting it has asked me to login. It has changed my local account from my name to my BT email address and asking for a password. This is not my normal password and has seemed to link my BT...