Windows 10: How do I change primary display number and functionality

Discus and support How do I change primary display number and functionality in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Acer desktop computer with Nvidea GTX 745 card. Main display is Dell 22" monitor (DVI connection - no HDMI support). I purchased a 19" TV as a second... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by lbeck, Dec 30, 2016.

1. lbeck Win User

How do I change primary display number and functionality

Acer desktop computer with Nvidea GTX 745 card. Main display is Dell 22" monitor (DVI connection - no HDMI support). I purchased a 19" TV as a second monitor (HDMI connection - no other connection available).

The configuration automatically has my Dell as 2 and the TV as 1. I can set Dell as primary, but so far I'm unable to assign it as monitor 1. How can I make it 1 and primary?

Also, if I drag anything from my primary (currently Dell as 2) I can only drag to the left to get to my secondary monitor which is to the right. I want to drag from my primary to the secondary left -> right. Trying to do so hits the right side of my primary monitor and goes no further. I can only drag to the left to get to my right monitor.

How can I:

• make my Dell/DVI number 1 and primary
    • after making Dell/DVI/1 primary, drag to the right to get to my other (#2) monitor.

Thanks

:)

lbeck, Dec 30, 2016

2. What is the most stable video card for Windows 10

How I solved the problem.

The PC supported an onboard Intel video adapter and the NVidia card. I had the NVidia card set up as the primary display adapter in display preferences. I changed my primary display adapter to the Intel board. (Changing the BIOS settings to prefer one over
    the other made no difference.)

Was it the board or Windows? I have no idea. But in this case, choosing the onboard adapter as the primary display simply resolved the conflict.

MikeLiebeman, Dec 30, 2016
  3. How do I make games open on the primary display?

The problem seems to have gone away. There was a nvidia driver update today, maybe that has changed something.

Les Ferguson, Dec 30, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

In Settings/System/Display, drag the one 'monitor' over and plop it on the other side.
    You can't do anything about the identity numbers unless you switch the cards.

How do I change primary display number and functionality [​IMG]

Edwin, Dec 30, 2016
  5. lbeck Win User
    Thanks. Maybe the identity numbers are irrelevant??

I was thinking that for most apps your main must be 1 and secondary needs to be 2. I'll play around with various apps that use a second monitor and see if it makes any difference.

lbeck, Dec 30, 2016
  6. The numbers are irrelevant as far as what monitor is set as the main monitor. You can set any one you want as main.
    Go to Settings > System > Display, and click Identify. Then move (drag) the monitors on that screen to match your physical placement.
    I run triple monitors for me its 3, 1, 2. You can't change the numbers assigned from Windows. The only way to do that is to swap your monitor ports/cables around. Change what port your monitor is connected to on your video card and its number will change.
    Once you have the numbers on the display screen matching your physical layout, your cursor will be able to go from monitor to monitor in the correct way. No brick wall. Then just set the monitor you want as main as main by checking the box for Make this my main monitor.

alphanumeric, Jan 3, 2017
  7. If you go to settings > Personalization > Taskbar, there are options to pick which Icons show on what taskbar. The Multiple Displays options are way at the bottom. I have mine set to "Taskbar where window is open" Only Icons for programs running on my secondary monitors, show on my secondary monitors taskbar. I can see at a glance what I have open and running on each monitor. Once I open a program, move it to the display I want it on, then close it. Windows remembers what display it was last opened on. Even if I launch it from my main screen. Anything launched for the first time will open on what ever display was set as main.
    If you press the Windows Logo key *Start + P and select "PC screen only". The display set as main is the one that stays on/active. Do it again and select Extend and they will all be active again. I switch to single when gaming, then back to extend when done gaming.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I change primary display number and functionality - Similar Threads - change primary display

2. How do I change a phone number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change a phone number: How do I change my phone number https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-a-phone-number/016558cc-a86b-4c84-a36c-3e74ec7d1230
  3. How do I change a phone number

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change a phone number: How do I change my phone number https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-a-phone-number/016558cc-a86b-4c84-a36c-3e74ec7d1230
  4. How do I change my primary microsoft account!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change my primary microsoft account!!: My dad gave me my own laptop and decided to make his account a primary account and made mine secondary, now he doesn't use it and I am old enough to have my own account. Still, my dad's account is the only account on this laptop I want to change the email of this account to...
  5. How do I change my primary microsoft account!!

How do I change my primary microsoft account!!: My dad gave me my own laptop and decided to make his account a primary account and made mine secondary, now he doesn't use it and I am old enough to have my own account. Still, my dad's account is the only account on this laptop I want to change the email of this account to...
  6. How to change display numbers.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change display numbers.: Got a dual monitor setup, however my main display, already set to main display, is identifying as monitor 2, causing most apps to startup on my secondary monitor. Furthermore even when turned off, my secondary monitor still identifies, meaning I can't open and use a variety...
  7. How to change display numbers.

How to change display numbers.: Got a dual monitor setup, however my main display, already set to main display, is identifying as monitor 2, causing most apps to startup on my secondary monitor. Furthermore even when turned off, my secondary monitor still identifies, meaning I can't open and use a variety...
  8. Changing display numbers

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Changing display numbers: I am not sure where to ask about this, but........... I have an Asus dual GTX 1060 and 2 monitors. #2 is connected to the DVI port and #1 is on the HDMI port. #2 is my default monitor. With Windows set to extend the monitors, when the system boots, the boot screen appears on...
  9. How do I change a sympatico primary alias ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I change a sympatico primary alias ?: Hello all, I truly hate to bring this up again but I'm trying to change my primary alias on my windows account. Problem is that I originally used a sympatico email address from Bell my ex ISP that has long since been deleted and I keep getting the error message "Your...
  10. How do I change primary language?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I change primary language?: In build 10240 I can download a Danish language pack in Settings. However I can't set it as primary... Anyone know how to do this? [img] 8316