Windows 10: How do I change the background color for the taskbar?

Discus and support How do I change the background color for the taskbar? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; In an old thread this question was asked and the response labeled "partially solved". I disagree; the advice given (to go to "personalization" and turn... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ProdMan, Feb 17, 2016.

1. ProdMan Win User

How do I change the background color for the taskbar?

In an old thread this question was asked and the response labeled "partially solved". I disagree; the advice given (to go to "personalization" and turn "show color on Start, Task bar, action center and title bar" to "on" and pick a color) does not change the background color of the task bar, which remains black regardless of this setting. So I am asking the question again: how can you change the background color of the task bar from black to something that will actually contrast with the icons? Black is a terrible color; some of the icons are barely visible with that setting.

:)

ProdMan, Feb 17, 2016

2. How do I change the background color of the taskbar?

I'm s novice at this. Where do I put these codes? In settings? Which part of settings?

Lewis D. Eigen, Feb 17, 2016
  3. How do I change the background color of the taskbar?

Hi,

Sorry for that. Edited

How to Change the Color of Taskbar

1. Select Start >Settings

2. Select Personalization and then choose
    Colors.

3. Under Show accent color on the following surfaces, select the
    Start, taskbar, and action center and Title bars check boxes.

How do I change the background color for the taskbar? [​IMG]

4. To manually select an accent color, choose one under Recent colors or Windows colors, or select
    Custom color for an even more detailed option.

Credits to
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026865/windows-10-change-start-menu-taskbar-action-center-colors

Hope this helps

Kyah Pembaryah, Feb 17, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

Use these settings to use an accent color widows picks from your wallpaper:

Use these settings to choose from the palette:

Cliff S, Feb 17, 2016
  5. ProdMan Win User
    Yes, I agree that the color picker does change the color of the title bars for individual windows, but it does not change the color of the screen taskbar at top or side of the screen, at least if you have a custom desktop, e.g., you pick as a desktop background a unique image. The background color of the taskbar (at the top or side) should have nothing to do with the desktop background. So this solution does not address that issue.

ProdMan, Feb 17, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    I thought you were asking How to get color in the taskbar, well... that's how.

Cliff S, Feb 17, 2016
  7. philc43 Win User
    Hello and welcome to TenForums! *Smile

There is another way you can play around with the colours using the old control panel

You can try this by creating a shortcut to the old control panel for colour and appearance.

Refer to the Note to see how the normal settings menu will influence this. Not sure if it will help you but it does seem to provide an alternative way to tweak and you can apply the mixer settings to tweak even further. I just tried it and I can definitely change the taskbar from black to another colour.

philc43, Feb 17, 2016
  8. ProdMan Win User

As you can see from the attachment: the big blue (sloppy) arrow points to the fact that the background of the taskbar is black. The two (sloppy) "v" pointers point to illustrative icons in the taskbar which are barely visible because of the fact that the background is black. How could no one at Microsoft think of this issue?

ProdMan, Feb 17, 2016
  9. ProdMan Win User
    `````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Interesting, but I'm not seeing any information here on how to access the old control panel. The settings they show all seem to apply to the new (Windows 10) control panel, none of which affect the background color of the taskbar (at least in my experience--have even tried re-booting).

ProdMan, Feb 17, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 17, 2016
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    f14tomcat, Feb 17, 2016
  12. philc43 Win User
    Why did you not try option 1 or 2 in the link I posted? That described the process to get the old control panel tool for colours. Even using the new system menu colour panel the changes are instant - no rebooting needed. This makes me suspicious that there is something else not quite right with your setup. What windows version are you on and how did you upgrade?

philc43, Feb 17, 2016
  13. ProdMan Win User

Sorry, didn't get that far down in the reply. So I did just go through both of those steps---#2 was cool and did everything as laid out, but still does not change the background color of the taskbar (still is black)--all it changes (which the Windows 10 color setting also changes) is the highlight color of the taskbar (i.e., the color showing behind an icon when you are actually using that app and the color lines above the icons of the apps that are open and the color behind the open windows when you click on an icon).

The system I am running is Windows 10 Pro (version 1511), which downloaded and was installed yesterday.

ProdMan, Feb 17, 2016
  14. f14tomcat Win User
    Do you have these set?

f14tomcat, Feb 17, 2016
  15. ProdMan Win User
    Yes, Screen shot attached.

ProdMan, Feb 17, 2016
Thema:

1. How do I change the background color for the taskbar? - Similar Threads - change background color

2. How do I stop the background color change when changing the background image in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop the background color change when changing the background image in...: I really don't like that yellowish tint. It's not a good color. I have tried editing color settings using color management, but it didn't change anything. Thanks for any pointers....
  3. How do I stop the background color change when changing the background image in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I stop the background color change when changing the background image in...: I really don't like that yellowish tint. It's not a good color. I have tried editing color settings using color management, but it didn't change anything. Thanks for any pointers....
  4. How do I change background color in WordPad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change background color in WordPad: It's white and it's blinding me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-background-color-in-wordpad/1735134a-6d96-4cb8-9c74-e132ff1db79c
  5. How do I change background color in WordPad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change background color in WordPad: It's white and it's blinding me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-background-color-in-wordpad/1735134a-6d96-4cb8-9c74-e132ff1db79c
  6. How do I change background color in WordPad

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Taskbar background color change

Taskbar background color change: The background color on by taskbar is now a different color (light gray) maybe since an update 6/27/19? I can't find out how to change it back to black. I've been in through Control Panel/Taskbar but to no avail....
  8. How do I change the colors in the Taskbar?

How do I change the colors in the Taskbar?: Attached is a screenshot. How do I change the colors and transparency of the highlights pointed to? Thank you......Taskbar 09.09.2018.pdf 117589
  9. How do I change the colors in the Taskbar?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I change the colors in the Taskbar?: Attached is a screenshot. How do I change the colors and transparency of the highlights pointed to? Thank you......Taskbar 09.09.2018.pdf 117589
  10. Changing background color of taskbar

Changing background color of taskbar: New windows 10 installation; background color of taskbar is ugly black, and can't figure out how to change it. Any suggestions? 22356