Windows 10: How do I change the default setting for .eml files?

Discus and support How do I change the default setting for .eml files? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I started using a new mail client...Mailbird. I want to save certain emails in the external hard drive. Mailbird explained how to save them as *.eml... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by therealsimpsons, Sep 1, 2017.

1. How do I change the default setting for .eml files?

I started using a new mail client...Mailbird. I want to save certain emails in the external hard drive. Mailbird explained how to save them as *.eml files. However, when I try to open one, it defaulted to the built-in Windows 10 app called 'Mail'. So, I went to the default settings by file extension, and lo and behold it doesn't exist in the list.

Now what?

Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

:)

therealsimpsons, Sep 1, 2017

2. How do I change default setting for saving a list

Hi Samantha,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. We are happy to assist you.

I see that you need to change default setting for saving a list.

Please answer the below question to assist you better.

Are you referring to a folder where files are being saved?

Follow the below method and check if it helps.

If the issue is related to file explorer then follow the below method

1. Open the File explorer.

2. Right click on the blank space.

3. Select Sort by and change according to your preference.

I would suggest you to refer the below article and check if it helps,

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/files-folders-windows-explorer

(Also applies to windows 10)

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Sep 1, 2017
  3. How do I change default setting for saving a list

Windows 10 defaults my list files to alphabetical order How do I change this so my lists are saved in the order I wish? thanks

samantha campbell, Sep 1, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

How do I change the default setting for .eml files?

Try rt clicking an eml file, Open With, and carefully follow through the several steps to assign your chosen program completely as default.

Also try

How do I change the default setting for .eml files? [​IMG]

Set this program as default (but in your case for Mailbird). (Or the equivalent in Settings)

Note that eml files are not a default file type in Windows (i.e. not in the relevant Tutorial list here Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials ) i.e. teh file type has to be established by a program.

Also make sure this is set correctly:

(or the equivalent in the Control Panel)

dalchina, Sep 1, 2017
  5. No offense, I appreciate the help. I have already done all of those things. When I right click on an .eml file, and then click 'open with' and select Mailbird, nothing happens. I believe the reason is that there is no setting for .eml (see picture). I think I need to know the file extension for Mailbird, because .eml is an old MS file for Outlook, etc.

therealsimpsons, Sep 1, 2017
  6. Edwin New Member
    @therealsimpsons

Things are still a little messed up between the Classic and Universal Platforms so, you need to make the association in the classic control panel.
    Only thing is, the classic control panel won't let you access classic 'File Associations' so, paste this in a Run box: explorer shell:::{17cd9488-1228-4b2f-88ce-4298e93e0966} -Microsoft.DefaultPrograms\pageFileAssoc and press Enter.

Create the association from there using the mailbird.exe in C:/ProgramFiles(86)/Mailbird

... then it'll show up in Settings!

Edwin, Sep 1, 2017
  7. I tried that, copied and pasted...whatever it is opened My Documents file..I still don't have a .eml file extension in the list after .emf Your post says, "and then create the file from there...what is "there" and what does it look like?

Edit: Also, there is no file in my Mailbird File in C: Drive Program Files (x86) named Mailbird.exe

therealsimpsons, Sep 2, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

explorer shell:::{17cd9488-1228-4b2f-88ce-4298e93e0966} -Microsoft.DefaultPrograms\pageFileAssoc

should take you here:

...but as you say you have no eml extension listed, that's not going to help you.

Assuming you have installed the desktop program Mailbird, you may have used a custom location when you installed it.

Here's a reg file to add the eml file type:
    eml.zip

Once you've got that, try associating it with your program.

Please also state whether you are using the Mailbird universal app (universal apps do not use exe's, dll's or the registry)
    Mailbird - The Best Email App for Windows 10 is now available.
    or (as Edwin assumed referring you to the exe file) the desktop version (traditional installer):
    Email made easy. Manage multiple accounts with the best email client

dalchina, Sep 2, 2017
  9. I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I have been busy with other things. Here are my questions about Dalchina's responses.

therealsimpsons, Sep 11, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Desktop prog or the app?
    Easy. The universal app you will have got from the Store.

The program you will have downloaded from an internet site and installed it from an exe file.

eml.zip:
    Open the zip file.
    Extract the reg file- say to your desktop.
    Rt click it, click Merge and accept the prompts.

or ask Google:
    What do I do with a reg file?

dalchina, Sep 11, 2017
  11. Perfect Dalchina! SOLVED Thank you, and the others who responded!! *Biggrin

therealsimpsons, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I change the default setting for .eml files? - Similar Threads - change default setting

2. How do I change the default file browser?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I change the default file browser?: Title. Trying out an alternate one and it's a pain to have File Explorer always opening by default. submitted by /u/Electro-Ninja [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j5emml/how_do_i_change_the_default_file_browser/
  3. How to print EML files

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to print EML files: I have received via my email a document with EMLfiles and can't seem to print it. I have tried various things but have not been successful. Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-print-eml-files/0ba9ef55-4497-437c-9d2f-2f2a5ede33d2
  4. How do I change the default for opening files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I change the default for opening files?: I’m trying to download a zip file from google. When trying to open it, I was asked what application to open it with and was prompted with several options. I clicked “open with internet explorer” and that didn’t work out. I’ve downloaded a proper zip file opener application...
  5. default setting change for Microsoft Windows 10 documents. How do I change the default...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default setting change for Microsoft Windows 10 documents. How do I change the default...: Easy fix automatic would NOT change my word documents files ACCIDENTALLY converted to Internet Explorer file in Windows 10. I cannot open the Windows 10 documents saved in Internet Explorer 10 on my PC Desktop Suggestions?.. beyond Microsoft's suggestions?...
  6. EML (.eml) Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EML (.eml) Files: I have several .eml files saved to "Documents". While these will open with "Mail" there does not seem to be any option to "Print". Previously I had had these open with "Windows Live Mail" but this is no longer an option after latest update. Present option is to use EML -->...
  7. how do I change the default font settings?

how do I change the default font settings?: How do I change the default font size settings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-default-font-settings/7a7a37cc-b60c-4b74-aaca-c935775df190
  8. How do I set a default

How do I set a default: I want to set Libre office but it keeps going back to WPS, how can I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-set-a-default/e3bb7e07-68e1-4200-b460-cf2e1d39fbd1
  9. How to Open .eml files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Open .eml files?: The Mail App doesn't seem capable. It can't open .eml files either. 24494
  10. How do I set a default view in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I set a default view in File Explorer?: I want 'List', not 'Details'. I could keep it at 'List' view in Windows 7, but I don't see a setting for that option any more? Also, I downloaded a program called Explorer Plus Plus, which I love. Is there any way in Windows 10 to make IT my default Folder opener?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. .reg file to fix .eml file type association

2. which is the file type associated with mailbird

3. what is file extension for mailbird email files

4. how to change settings to open a eml file