Windows 10: How do I change the designation of a drive from active to inactive?

Discus and support How do I change the designation of a drive from active to inactive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been told that my data drive is active. How do I change it to inactive status? 99223 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nisko, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Nisko Win User

How do I change the designation of a drive from active to inactive?

I've been told that my data drive is active. How do I change it to inactive status?

:)

Nisko, Nov 29, 2017
  2. SJMoody9 Win User

how do I change the city designation in the weather app?

MSN weather

SJMoody9, Nov 29, 2017
  3. garym123 Win User
    how do I change the city designation in the weather app?

Which weather app?

garym123, Nov 29, 2017
  4. Strahan Win User

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you referring to a hard drive or a USB stick? If the former, I'm not sure what you mean to accomplish by marking inactive. If the latter, do you mean making it inactive so you can remove it? If so, you can right click the USB icon in the systray and eject the drive.

How do I change the designation of a drive from active to inactive? [​IMG]

Strahan, Nov 29, 2017
  5. Nisko Win User
    I use a separate hard drive for my data. It is currently "active" which, I believe, Windows 10 can utilize it. By marking it inactive, I prevent Windows from placing data on it. Check out your own drives using Disk Management and you should see the word "active" on the drive that holds your OS.

Nisko, Nov 29, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The only thing the active flag does is mark that partition as a possible boot partition for MBR partitioned drives on legacy BIOS computers (or UEFI computers set to boot in legacy BIOS or CSM mode).

To remove the active flag, open Command Prompt (Admin) then:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # <- replace # with the disk number of the drive you think has the active partition
    list part
    select part # <- replace # with the partition you think is active
    inactive
    exit
    exit

If you get the wrong partition # and inactive gives you an error, just select another partition using select part #. The only damage you can do with the inactive command is to run it on the partition the computer is really booting from, and the computer won't boot until you boot from a USB flash drive and mark that partition as active again.

NavyLCDR, Nov 29, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    I think OP is confusing making a drive active with making a drive offline.

The latter is easy and can be done from disk management by right click clicking on drive.

cereberus, Nov 29, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

No. He wants to remove the active flag from the data partition on drive 1:

Need help to PROPERLY install dual boot: Windows 10 Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

How do I change the designation of a drive from active to inactive? [​IMG]

So it looks like it would be:

diskpart
    select disk 1
    select part 1
    inactive
    exit
    exit

NavyLCDR, Nov 29, 2017
  9. CountMike New Member
    But he said " By marking it inactive, I prevent Windows from placing data on it" and active or not is not going to do that.

CountMike, Nov 29, 2017
  10. Plankton Win User
    Just an observation from a 3rd party with some questions. What happens to the drive if OP makes secondary drive inactive? Will this in any way prevent a user from using the drive at all? Are there any pro's to making a drive in active?

Plankton, Nov 29, 2017
  11. CountMike New Member
    Only problem with it set active is that in case of windows reinstall it may mistake second drive for primary one. There's no reason for active partition other the one with OS on it.

CountMike, Nov 29, 2017
  12. Plankton Win User
    That makes sense....thanks.

Plankton, Nov 29, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

This is what he said in post 3

I use a separate hard drive for my data. It is currently "active" which, I believe, Windows 10 can utilize it. By marking it inactive, I prevent Windows from placing data on it. Check out your own drives using Disk Management and you should see the word "active" on the drive that holds your OS.

cereberus, Nov 29, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Actually, I just noticed that Drive 1 partition is also marked as the "system" partition which means that is where the computer IS booting from. Not drive 0. So we don't know if any of the partitions on drive 0 actually contain useable boot files or not!

NavyLCDR, Nov 29, 2017
  15. Nisko Win User
    Here's the latest view of my DM. I have made Disk 1 inactive and the dual boot seems to work fine. See anything wrong?

Nisko, Nov 30, 2017
Thema:

1. How do I change the designation of a drive from active to inactive? - Similar Threads - change designation drive

2. How do you change the design of the caret?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you change the design of the caret?: I would like to have the caret customized, instead of normal caret. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-change-the-design-of-the-caret/f4aac5d9-8d9c-4ee6-9080-5b330b22cb41
  3. How do you change the design of the caret?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you change the design of the caret?: I would like to have the caret customized, instead of normal caret. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-change-the-design-of-the-caret/f4aac5d9-8d9c-4ee6-9080-5b330b22cb41
  4. How do you change the design of the caret?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How do I change a drive designation when it now has two designations?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I change a drive designation when it now has two designations?: I tried to change a drive from F to D. However now it is showing D: F: I tried renaming it, using properties, and a number of other suggestions on the internet but to no avail. How do I get it to just show D: without the F: behind it?...
  6. How do I change a drive designation when it now has two designations?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change a drive designation when it now has two designations?: I tried to change a drive from F to D. However now it is showing D: F: I tried renaming it, using properties, and a number of other suggestions on the internet but to no avail. How do I get it to just show D: without the F: behind it?...
  7. How do I change a drive designation when it now has two designations?

8. How do I change the letter designation of installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the letter designation of installed hard drive: How do I change the letter designation of my hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-letter-designation-of/25ae7e9a-a829-480a-87c1-e4c3bda742d6
  9. How do I change the letter designation of installed hard drive

How do I change the letter designation of installed hard drive: How do I change the letter designation of my hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-letter-designation-of/25ae7e9a-a829-480a-87c1-e4c3bda742d6
  10. How do I change the letter designation of installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to change active drive to inactive