Windows 10: How do i change the file association for SCR files

Discus and support How do i change the file association for SCR files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I use files with an SCR extension to store text data. For me SCR means script. I would like it so that when I double-click on this file, that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jpc, Dec 2, 2015.

1. JPC
    jpc Win User

How do i change the file association for SCR files

Hi,
    I use files with an SCR extension to store text data. For me SCR means script.

I would like it so that when I double-click on this file, that it opens with notepad (or something similar).
    But this file is registered as a screen saver. And I cannot change the file association.

I have tried "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". I can select NOTEPAD but the "Current application" remains as "Unknown application". And in my folders, the file type remains "Screen saver". So this option does not work.

I have also tried adjusting the registry entry regarding "scr" files. Or removing the registry entry. Neither works.
    And I also don't get the "right click / open with" option.

So how do I change the file association of scr files? any suggestions?

Thanks

:)

2. Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 2, 2015
  3. File associations in Windows 10 not working

>> but I had already deleted the scr keys and then associated them with Notepad

Ok. Here is another way.. and easier too.

To associate .scr files with Notepad, open a Command Prompt (Administrator) and type in:

assoc .scr=txtfile

to revert back to defaults, type:

assoc .scr=scrfile

.scr files are Screensaver files (executable) files in Windows, and that's the reason "Open with" is not there in the right-click menu. Same for .exe / .com etc.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 2, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

change the file extension of your script to .script
    and associate .script with notepad

Attachment 51690

Kyhi, Dec 2, 2015
  5. JPC
    jpc Win User
    Already thought of. But this is not an option. I also use a windows 7 computer where this isn't a problem.

Thema:

1. How do i change the file association for SCR files - Similar Threads - change file association

2. How do I associate file explorer and .rar files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I associate file explorer and .rar files?: I accidentally associated .rar files with media player. I'm trying to switch it back to file explorer but I ca't find it. It was working fine before. I never installed any software for .rar after I bought the system. Ideas? I can't even find File Explorer app in the selection...
  3. How do I associate file explorer and .rar files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I associate file explorer and .rar files?: I accidentally associated .rar files with media player. I'm trying to switch it back to file explorer but I ca't find it. It was working fine before. I never installed any software for .rar after I bought the system. Ideas? I can't even find File Explorer app in the selection...
  4. How do I associate file explorer and .rar files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. SCR File Extension

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SCR File Extension: Hello, today some people send me file with .scr extension, when i google it, i found information that this is a screensaver file. But when i scan it on virustotal, i saw that this is a virus nj rar or remote access control. So i understand that scr file can be a executable...
  6. SCR File Extension

SCR File Extension: Hello, today some people send me file with .scr extension, when i google it, i found information that this is a screensaver file. But when i scan it on virustotal, i saw that this is a virus nj rar or remote access control. So i understand that scr file can be a executable...
  7. SCR File Extension

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. How do I reset the setup.inx file association?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I reset the setup.inx file association?: This problem of changing default file associations has happened to me twice with Windows7 and now twice with Windows10. In two cases, a newly downloaded program hijacked the file association causing issues. In two cases, I wanted to open a file to take a look at the data it...
  9. Changing file association

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing file association: Adobe acrobat reader is associated with ascm files. I need to change the association so that I can open an ascm file with Adobe digital reader so that I can read a book. Thanks...
  10. file association change

file association change: v 1607 just installed, Microsoft keeps wanting to change from libre office to wordpad, win patrol cancels it but it keeps trying to change file association how do I stop taht 63644