Windows 10: How Do I Change the Font Size Of My Desktop Icons In Windows 10 ?

Discus and support How Do I Change the Font Size Of My Desktop Icons In Windows 10 ? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How do I change the font size of my desktop icons in Windows 10 ? In old versions of Windows you could do that thru Control Panel\Display\Appearance... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by USSWisconsin, Aug 3, 2015.

1. How Do I Change the Font Size Of My Desktop Icons In Windows 10 ?

How do I change the font size of my desktop icons in Windows 10 ?

In old versions of Windows you could do that thru Control Panel\Display\Appearance

But i don't see that in Windows 10

Anyone know how to do it ?

Thank You.

:)

USSWisconsin, Aug 3, 2015

2. how do I change the font size on the desktop icons

change desktop icon font size

Charlie DVN, Aug 3, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    how do I change the font size on the desktop icons

If you are running Windows 10 version 1703 (The Creators Update) then, Microsoft in their wisdom decided to remove that option from settings in Windows.

A lot of users are using a free utility called Winaero Tweaker, which will allow you to change font sizes like you used to in previous versions of Windows.

Winaero Tweaker

Another free option is System Font Size Changer, which does not need to be installed:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/system_...

If you are running a previous version of Windows to Windows 10 version 1703 (The Creators Update) , then right click your Desktop, choose Desktop Settings and that option is there . . .

DaveM121, Aug 3, 2015
  4. letmein Win User

How Do I Change the Font Size Of My Desktop Icons In Windows 10 ?

Right click on an empty space on the Windows 10 desktop, right Mouse-Button. And select "View"!

And now you can change the Windows-10 Desktop icon size:

letmein, Aug 3, 2015
  5. Thank you. Do you know how to change the font on the desktop icons ? Also, instead of me askin all these nit-picky little questions, isn't there a book that has all these answers in it ? Because in the previous versions of Windows that i have used over the years (3.11, 95, 98 & XP. XP i still use on all of my other pc's), i was always able to get like a 1000 page book that answered all these questions. Anything like that available for Windows 10 ? Thank You

6. letmein Win User
    letmein, Aug 3, 2015
  7. Thanks. But it's a pre-order. It hasn't been released yet.

8. How Do I Change the Font Size Of My Desktop Icons In Windows 10 ?

No, not the font size. The font, like change it to Times New Roman.

Do you know how to change the font ?

9. letmein Win User
    Right click on the Start button, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Personalization, then click Fonts

letmein, Aug 3, 2015
  10. Lange666 Win User
    @letmein: That is not what he asks. You're talking about either icon size or font size but the topic starter asked about changing the actual font (not the size or the icon size).
    @USSWisconsin: The font on the desktop can't be changed through a Windows 10 setting. You either need a Tweaker proggy or do it directly in the registry (which the Tweaker does for you).

Registry:
    - Use the search icon next to the start button (or use the run command from Windows System) and type regedit and press enter.
    - Look for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control_Panel\Desktop\WindowsMetrics

On the right you have various keys like "Caption font" & "Icon font" etc...
    Select the font you want to change and rightclick, then choose "Modify"
    A little windows will open with the name of the registry key and on the right the fonts name.
    Replace this fontname with the fontname you want (watch spaces). Done.

Example: Replaced the original Segoe UI font with the Verdana font.

How Do I Change the Font Size Of My Desktop Icons In Windows 10 ? [​IMG]

Lange666, Aug 5, 2015
  11. @Lange666: Thank You.

I use XP on all of my other pc's. And (as you all probably know already I'm sure, but I'm going to say it anyways,) you can change the font (and the size) of the desktop icons by clicking" Control Panel -> Dsplay -> Appearance -> Advanced -> Item -> Icon -> Font

I expected that it would be the same in Windows 10. But apparently NOT ! *Sad

While we're on the subject of fonts and font sizes, I'm running Google Chrome on this tiny LIVA Mini PC, and is there a way to change the font SIZE (NOT the font) of the icons on the Favorites Bar on Google Chrome ?

Thank you.

USSWisconsin, Aug 5, 2015
  12. Hi, thanks for this, worked successfully! Do you know whether it's possible to change the size of each of these fonts? Is it embedded into the same hex data? If so which part do you edit for the size?

invertedzero, Aug 10, 2015
  13. topgundcp Win User

Win+X->Control Panel->Display and change the Text Size for each item then click Apply:

How Do I Change the Font Size Of My Desktop Icons In Windows 10 ? [​IMG]

topgundcp, Aug 10, 2015
  14. davis49 Win User
    It's somewhat limited, but you CAN change the SIZE of some system fonts
    In Windows 10:
    Go to Start/Settings
    Click on "System, Display, notifications, apps, power"
    In the window that opens, make sure the overall DPI size slider is set to the "xxx% (Recommended)" setting. Unfortunately you cannot change both the overall DPI and the font sizes. It's a one-or-the-other deal.
    If you moved the slider, you will need to sign out of your account and log back on for the change to take affect, then come back to this page

Once the slider is at the Recommended DPI for your monitor, click on "Advanced display settings" at bottom of this page
    In the "Advanced display settings" window, scroll down to the "Advanced sizing of text and other items", and click on it
    The window that opens has a section titled "Change only the text size"
    Under that you will find a drop down menu that gives you the ability to change the size and whether or not to make each one bold typeface or leave as regular

Use the dropdown menu to select what you want to change, then use the other dropdown menu to set the item to the size you want to use. Check the box if you want it to be Bold.
    Do this for each item you want to change.

After you've made all the changes you want, click on Apply. You may have to sign out and back on for these to take effect. If they do not show up, come back to this window and see if your sizes are now showing up in the dropdown items menu. If they are listed here to what you changed them to, and you don't see them where you thought you should; you'll need to do a full restart. If you do not see your settings, repeat making your changes again. Make sure you click on Apply and then Restart your system (do the full Restart not just sign off account)

Hope this gives you at least some of what you want. You still cannot change the basic font size in the File Explorer windows (when viewing items in Detail view and some app context menus) without editing the registry.

As mentioned you can make some additional changes to the overall fonts by editing the registry. If you want to make these additional changes you can go to this link for help. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-517521a8502e Make sure you backup your registry before you start editing, and be VERY careful. You can really muck up your system if you do something wrong with the registry.

davis49, Aug 12, 2015
  15. tperk100 Win User
    I just installed Win 10. I can go to Control Panel, Fonts, Change Font Size, and then change font text size for desktop icons, menus, etc..

tperk100, Sep 25, 2015
Thema:

1. How Do I Change the Font Size Of My Desktop Icons In Windows 10 ? - Similar Threads - Change Font Size

2. How to change font sizes and icon sizes in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to change font sizes and icon sizes in Windows 10: Hello! Are you reading this guide from a 5 inches Windows tablet screen? Maybe from your 15 inches laptop? This guide is for anyone who wants to have better visual experience using their Windows 10 device. So, we will be guiding you through changing your resolution, fonts and...
  3. How do I change the font color on my desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I change the font color on my desktop icons?: When I got to my computer today, the font color on my icons had changed from black to white. I have a colorful background and I cannot read them anymore. I have a feeling that there may have been a Microsoft 365 update and perhaps that caused it. I tried lightening my...
  4. How do I change Font Size

How do I change Font Size: When I log in font size is to small https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-font-size/f7da11ea-bf8e-4d8b-8930-bb922794a620
  5. change icon size and fonts on desktop

change icon size and fonts on desktop: change icon size and fonts on desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-icon-size-and-fonts-on-desktop/b284d108-f2ea-4846-ae65-18ea60ea1143
  6. Changing size of icon font on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing size of icon font on desktop: Hope y'all can help me out. There's a free win.10 utility that you use to change things on win.10. Among the things you can change is icon font size, spacing, etc. You can change all kind of things. Thing is, I once had it and reformatted and lost it. Does anyone know the...
  7. how do I change icon size on desktop

how do I change icon size on desktop: how do I change icon size on desktop? thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-icon-size-on-desktop/befff26f-6769-41aa-9350-d428c49e4f13
  8. How do I change the font size of the names under my desktop icons?

How do I change the font size of the names under my desktop icons?: How do I change the font size of the names under my desktop icons? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/how-do-i-change-the-font-size-of-the-names-under/50291850-7360-442b-9191-cbd59aa3e445
  9. Increase & or change the font size of desktop icons

Increase & or change the font size of desktop icons: The FONT size of my surface 3 desktop icons needs to be LARGER. NOTE: do not tell me how to get larger icons tell me how to get the NAME under the icons LARGER? Windows 11 was re-installed in late December 2017 so I do not need to go get any updates. 101805
  10. Changing Font Size of Desktop Icon Label

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Font Size of Desktop Icon Label: Good day. I wish to know if there is a way to change the font size/style (bold, etc.) of the icon labels ONLY on the desktop screen. I've tried the Control Panel method (Appearance & Personalization -> Display) that allows me to change the fonts for 'ICONS'. However,...